Inappropriate Word?

Options
TAMayorga
TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
Hello,

This isn't a diet/fitness question, but I think this group of "older" parents might have some wisdom for me. My DD is 5. Since she was about 2, she's been singing "shake your booty" and using the term booty. None of the adults who take care of her (grandparents) will admit to introducing that word. I have tried EVERYTHING I know to get her to stop - to no avail. It's become a speech habit for her.

Now I know that booty used to be a fairly innocuous term for a body part that most of us have, so why is this an issue for me? Because in the last few years, booty has become more sexualized (booty shorts, bootylicious), and I don't think it's appropriate for a child anymore.

Should I just give up and let it go? If not, how do I get her to stop? She knows I don't want her to say it and will catch herself and apologize, but by then it's too late.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies

• rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Well....in the big picture it could be a minor thing. At five is she just entering Kindergarten? IMHO if in your family "booty" is used in a nonsexualized way I wouldn't be too concerned, but would try explain it's a funny word to use in a song but not a word we use otherwise. That if she has to refer to that body part say bottom instead. All I'm thinking right now is my daughter herd so much worse once she was in school that I would not have blinked at the word booty.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned, either. Because it's become a speech habit for her, maybe suggest a replacement word? One that you will be comfortable with, and if possible, be fun for her to say (would make the change more appealing). Then remind her going forward to please try to remember to use that word instead, and most likely after time the new word will become a habit. This has worked pretty well for me and my boys. Like Rocky mentioned, they hear things at school and think it's funny and/or simply fun to say.

I have to share that I now have The Bee Gees stuck in my head. Thanks for the earworm :laugh:
  • melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    I think that it is great that she catches herself and give an apology. I think that you are on the right track of eliminating the word from her vocabulary.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    its up to you. Its not one taking in the right context that bothers me, but if it does You then keep working on it. She's trying.

My son has picked up Idiot from school at age 4. That is unacceptable and he's getting immediate time outs when he uses it.

We are also working on butt, and "diaper" (yes he thinks calling someone a diaper is a bad thing) we work on that but it doesn't get as firm of a reaction from us. That we try to deter. "we don't say that". You know to stop that, etc.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I just need to be consistent (who'd have thought?). But I can't figure out why this word has such a toe-hold on her vocabulary.