Breastfeeding supplement

Options
Hi I've been bf for almost 3 months now and using an organic tea called a mothers milk I was wondering if anyone else is taking the same tea or if they're using something else to help boost milk supply

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I did at first. Now I am adding extra virgin coconut oil to my oatmeal and coffee instead. It's cheaper and tastes better!
  • anahdz1306
    anahdz1306 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Will try that I want to be able to produce enough to feed and store for when I'm out thanks
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You will probably have the best luck if you pump every day, and in the morning.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I used to as well. I've still got a bunch of boxes in case I need a boost. I need to start pumping in the morning, too, but I eat oatmeal in the morning, coconut oil in my coffee, and two lactation cookies (one each morning and one each evening - Google "Noel Trujillo lactation cookies recipe" to get the recipe I use).

The tea is ok. Before Mother's Milk, I used a stronger tea called Milkmaid Tea that tasted awful! Mother's Milk was far better but gave me stomach cramps from time to time (a side effect of fenugreek), so I ditched it except if I feel I need it.
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Taking Fenugreek really helps my supply. Although I know it doesn't work for everyone, I actually notice an increase within 24 hours.
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Fenugreek really helps my supply too. Taking the recommended 6 a day works too well for me as it makes me really engorged and I start leaking etc (tmi?) but I take 2 in the evening after my main dinner every other day and my supply is plentiful and my daughter is 8 months now and still very much breastfeeding (really struggling to get her onto solids at the moment, she's really not getting with the programme). I've always wanted to try the cookies so will Google that recipe, do you know how many calories are in each cookie RBXChas?
  • RBXChas
    Options
    130 calories per cookie :) All the nutrition is listed with the recipe, thankfully. The recipe makes 54 cookies, so I bake half of them, then freeze the rest of the cookie dough and thaw it when I need to make the next batch.

I'm actually going to run out of cookies tonight, but instead of making more I'm going to go without for at least a couple of days to see what it does to my supply. I already eat oatmeal and coconut oil in the AM, plus I drink at least three quarts of plain water a day (96 oz), so I shouldn't need to eat lactation cookies. I wonder if they're needed and/or hindering my weight loss. I think it'll be interesting to see what happens.
  • anahdz1306
    Options
    You mean like fenugreek capsules? I had looked that up and a pharmacist told me she wouldn't recommend that if I'm breastfeeding so I'm kinda lost with that fenugreek stuff. And RBXchas can I find the brewers yeast and flaxseed meal at wal mart or do I have to shop at a special place cus only places I go are wal mart and heb lol
  • prplrose33
    prplrose33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I found this on the weight loss-post pregnancy board. I'm not having an issue with my supply right now, but thought about making them to see how they compared to the other lactation cookies that I have made.

Skinny Monkey Cookies
    Author/Source: Jimmie @ onceamonthmeals.com http://onceamonthmeals.com/skinny-monkey-cookies/

Ingredients:
    3 bananas
    2 cups old-fashioned oats
    1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    Dash of cinnamon (optional)

Add 2 Tbsp ground flax seed and 2-4 Tbsp Brewer's Yeast for the lactation boost.

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Mash bananas in a large bowl, then stir in remaining ingredients. Let batter stand for approximately 20 minutes, then drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Bake 10-12 minutes.

Freezing Directions:
    Cool completely, then place cookies in a freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze.

Nutritional Information:
    47 calories; 7.5 g carbs; 1.6 g fat; 1.5 g protein; 1.3 g fiber; 1 WW PointsPlus
    Servings: 30
  • RBXChas
    Options
    To amend the Noel Trujillo recipe I use, I add 6 Tbsp of brewer's yeast.

I could not find brewer's yeast at any supermarket. I bought it at GNC, and it wasn't very expensive. I think it was buy one get one 50% off, so I bought two.

I bought Bob's Red Mill golden flaxseed meal in the natural/organic foods area of my supermarket. I'm not sure if Wal-Mart carries it. At worst, you can order it on Amazon.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I take GAIA Lactate Support (you can get it on amazon and in some grocery stores). It includes fenugreek, blessed thistle, marshmallow root, and other herbs that can help with supply.
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Fenugreek pills + lactation cookies = went up a cup size in a week.
    Those two in combination will make you produce plenty of milk.

**Fenugreek has been used for years to aid in lactation, the pharmacist is most likely covering her *kitten*, bfing women aren't "allowed" to take anything these days. You can double check with your OB/GYN but every lactating mom I know takes Fenugreek.
  • anahdz1306
    Options
    Hmm I will try everything then gonna have a fridge full of breast milk.