WLJ =Weight Loss Journey=give me your 2 cents please....

Options
AquabearGO
AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
Im staritng mine today , so here are my declarations
6'1 398 44yo single Ultimate Weight Goal 250lbs in 2015. Taking it slowly, I broke it down like this: Concentrate on losing 8 pounds a month for 3 months=25 lbs(i know it doenst quite add up) =6 mos equals 50 lbs lost =1 year equals 100 lbs lost=18 mos equals 150 lbs lost altogher! So I just concentrate on the first 8 pounds at a time.......Im swimming 3x a week building up to be able to swim 1 mile by end of year, also training to do 5k WOG by Thanksgiving, starting weights in January. Would love to hear your TOP five for best tips on your WLJ ---what worked, what didnt what tips worked for you anything helpful would be great......

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Everything sounds good except for the weights thing. Why are you waiting until Jan?

1) food wise track and weigh everything. if you don't have a food scale, invest in one.
    2) take monthly progress pics
    3) measure yourself
    4) challenge yourself with exercise. your body will adapt over time. it's good to mix it up, try new things, keep from getting bored.
    5) don't focus on just the scale to determine how you are doing. look for other ways you are making progress. smaller clothes sizes, fitness levels improving, etc etc.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    1. Exercise. Find a few things that you like and change them up. As your fitness level increases, explore new options. Have fun with it.
    2. I have a huge appetite. I changed the foods that I eat (for the most part) so that I can have fewer Calories while eating enough to feel full.
    3. It's easy to blame things about your life that you don't like on your weight. As you lose weight, you may find that the weight wasn't the problem. Your interactions with others will change but not always how you expected. Fix the other things that are "wrong" as they come up. Also, don't get in the mindset that when I lose XXX, this or that will be different. When you get to that loss and it isn't different, it strains the desire to keep going.
    4. Lifting weights improves (poor word as improves is subjective) appearance in the sense that you can look like you weigh less than you actually do by carrying more muscle. It also improes athletic performance when done properly. For me at least, it also leads to slower weightloss and longer plateaus.
    5. If you have a meal or a day where you lose discipline, don't become disheartened and give up. It happens rebound and move on. Likewise, don't get in the trap of saying it was a bad weekend but that's okay I'm ready to move on only to do the same thing the next 2,3, or 10 weekends in a row.
  • AquabearGO
    Options
    When I need medical advice I listen to a doctor, when I need financial advice I listen to a investment counselor and when I need to lose weight, I listen to someone who has lost 200 pounds...in other words I listen to the experienced, knowledgeable ones. So I thank you for your wisdom sir, May I seek your advice in the future?
  • AquabearGO
    Options
    Thanks for the input, very helpful, Im swimming right now 3x a week and starting a wog program 2x week, so not really sure when I can fit in the weights. I will stop swimming by Jan so I thought that would be a good time to do weights along with the running. May I ask why does weightlifting slow down weight loss and makes plateaus??
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I can only speculate as to why it slows it down. Two thoughts that come to mind are that the Calories burned during weightlifting are not close to the same amount of Calories burned doing cardio-type exercises and that doing cardio reduces the amount of fat while neither maintaining nor building muscle. Whereas weightlifting helps in maintaining or building muscle. Some argue that you cannot build muscle while eating at a Calorie deficit. I do not know if that is true or not. By volume, muscle is heavier than fat. If you are maintaining muscle that would be lost from cardio, that quarter-inch of muscle volume that is lost will weigh more than the same quarter inch of fat volume that is lost. If you're gaining muscle then every pound of muscle lost requires more than a pound of fat loss for the scale to move at all.