A Rant...PT saying lifting doesn't do a woman any good

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
I just read this woman's response that she got from a personal trainer.

So I checked out the group for women who do the SL 5x5. Looks very interesting. My husband told a trainer he knows I was interested in doing it and he said I was better off just doing things with my own body weight. And I think he said things like crunches because he said something about putting my feet under the couch???

I am now confused. I was really interested in lifting since I have done some research on it and it seems to be the best way to get rid of fat. Cardio has done nothing for me (I used to do zumba and other cardio dvds). I need to lose fat and get strong, I am a wimp now, lol. But this person doesn't seem to think it will do anything for me. I have read that you can't lose fat from any targeted area. I can work it but it doesn't mean the fat will be lost there.

From this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1106011-women-who-lift?page=1#posts-17129634

It ticks me off so much that a PT would spew such sexists macho bull crap...

Yes I have mentioned this group to her and I hope she looks at the thread i posted but please ladies don't let this woman who is interested in weight training be turned off of it by some "man" who says this crap.

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*.

This is why I train at home. Don't have to listen to a trainer telling what I can and can't do.

I hope she checks out this group and starts lifting. It truly is empowering.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Not all trainers are like that, thank goodness! My trainer, a woman, makes me do things I didn't know were possible. I'm amazed when I can. As a result I work myself harder when training on my own. Because I can.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Well, information about barbell training is not hard to find these days, so I do not evangelize for it. If someone is conflicted about even trying it, I do not think they are ready. Certainly if a trainer like this is able to talk them out of it or sow doubts in their mind. Let her make up her own mind, and we will still be here when and if she wants to try this out.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Well, information about barbell training is not hard to find these days, so I do not evangelize for it. If someone is conflicted about even trying it, I do not think they are ready. Certainly if a trainer like this is able to talk them out of it or sow doubts in their mind. Let her make up her own mind, and we will still be here when and if she wants to try this out.

This.... Google has everything now a days. And not all trainers are like that.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Thankfully my gym has a lot of ladies doing lot of amazing kick *kitten* workouts. Some of the PT are women and they are awesome too. I can understand her thought of wanting a trainer, because we fear the forms and if we will end up injuring ourselves. I myself have started with group classes and will slowly increase my weights as i get a bit stronger( I am worried about my knees too as i have some problems)
    Good luck to her, hope she starts with weight training:)
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    The thing is, pretty much anybody can become a PT...but the average person may not realize just how under-qualified and uneducated most PTs really are (of course there are exceptions, before anyone kills me for this..but man, I've seen some stuff).

Let's just say I've known an acquaintance (or two..or three...) who, after buying a tub of protein powder and doing bicep curls for a month, decide that they are now "fitness experts" and become PTs in a very short time for the $$$. They apply for the job at the local commercial gym and are actually accepted. This is why PTs seem to be famous for giving crap advice and making people do stupid things. Sad thing is that, average folks who don't have prior fitness knowledge will trust them, to their own detriment -- such as in this case. Moral of the story: question everything, do your own research, and trust very few in the fitness industry.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    smh @ ridiculous ideas of some personal trainers

so I'd better stop lifting up my kids then, because that's more than just my bodyweight... oh and I changed the water cannister this morning, i.e. all 19 litres of it.... when I was in a foul mood due to morning brain and not having had my morning cup of tea (no water in the cooler = no hot water for tea/coffee either). And it didn't even feel heavy. It was more difficult getting the stupid seal to break on the actual canister.

Oh but I must be careful in case my uterus falls out...... better get in a time machine and warn all the female Homo erectuses not to lift up anything heavy or they'll all die out and Homo sapiens will never evolve....

*in a ranty mood this morning*
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Oh.

I guess I better remember that next time I'm hauling up 130% of my body weight from the floor. :huh:

Well, let's all just be the counter-example to nonsense like that. My trainer (a dude) is awesome and thankfully doesn't say stupid things like that. I think he's a bit chuffed to have a female client who's doing so well with lifting heavy, truth to say.