Week 1

Options
missmacsays
missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
Welcome to the group, future joiners! I've started this as motivation to get me running so that I can run a 5k on Thanksgiving Day. What better way to enjoy the gluttonous American holiday but with a nice, long run to get it started :D I've done 5ks before, but not ran the entire one. And I've done the C25k program before, but never finished more than a week or two at a time. I really hope that with the support of others, I can keep myself accountable and that it does the same for each and every one of you! If you accept the challenge to join, make sure you have your c25k app downloaded (it's free) and check in here to let us all know why you're joining.

Replies

• lmlks69
    lmlks69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With the start of a new month, this is a perfect time to get going again. I'm like you, have ran a few 5K's (run/walk method) and just feel like I need to get moving. I have a couple of other gals in my area who are going to do it as well. Our official start date will be next Monday the 7th.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
  • prettykitty1963
    prettykitty1963 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    HI.....I have just joined a C25K group. Week one finished yesterday. I was running last on all days so far. I Zumba and take a Latin Cardio Rythym and dance class. I joined the C25K to lose weight. I have never attempted to run before and am finding it very difficult. I want to finish the program but am so aftaid I won't be able to. I realize I am a very slow runner and I am really trying.
  • KimberB96
    KimberB96 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello... My name is Kim and I downloaded the C25K app back in January/February.... I'm a beginner for sure..... have only made it to week 3/day 3... .kept it low b/c of running in the heat at 6pm.... would like to amp up my time b/c I wanted to do a 5k on October 19.... I'll be doing it but may not have as good a time as I had wanted. Its been hard for me to push past running 3 straight minutes. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • panielsrok
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm Sandy and would love to join this group!

I ran a 5k years ago at my heaviest weight (208) and compared it to being buckled into a roller coaster that you desperately don't want to be on anymore. :) It took me just under an hour and I felt so accomplished!

Fall is gorgeous and goes by quickly in Minnesota so I'd love to at least start up running until the snow starts to fly. :)

I am getting over bronchitis and won't be starting for another week so I might be a little behind but will plan to post here regularly! :)
  • Demented29yrOld
    Options
    Hey Group! I am completely new to this but I start my training tomor - I am looking to keep motivated and I am here to support all of you :) Good luck
  • claudiaxcu
    claudiaxcu Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey! i'm Claudia, trying to get in shape and want to be able to run a 5K :P
    I did my first day of c25k yesterday... kinda hard for me... i've never attempted to run before and is difficult !!!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I did my first day today :drinker:
    I've been walking a lot, so I didn't find it too terribly hard. The only thing I dislike is doing it on a treadmill because you constantly have to change the speeds back and forth.
    But I found it went well.
    Anyone else start today?!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    With the start of a new month, this is a perfect time to get going again. I'm like you, have ran a few 5K's (run/walk method) and just feel like I need to get moving. I have a couple of other gals in my area who are going to do it as well. Our official start date will be next Monday the 7th.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Sounds awesome! I want to get an actual group started, but not too many I know in my area. I do have one friend I'm going to get to do it with me at least once a week hopefuly. Keep us updated of your progress!!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    HI.....I have just joined a C25K group. Week one finished yesterday. I was running last on all days so far. I Zumba and take a Latin Cardio Rythym and dance class. I joined the C25K to lose weight. I have never attempted to run before and am finding it very difficult. I want to finish the program but am so aftaid I won't be able to. I realize I am a very slow runner and I am really trying.

I think that's the great thing about the program is you can do it at whatever speed works for you! No need to be the fastest! I'm starting mine off slow, just so I can ease myself into it. I've never been a runner and I'm looking to lose some lbs from it as well. Just keep trying!!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Hello... My name is Kim and I downloaded the C25K app back in January/February.... I'm a beginner for sure..... have only made it to week 3/day 3... .kept it low b/c of running in the heat at 6pm.... would like to amp up my time b/c I wanted to do a 5k on October 19.... I'll be doing it but may not have as good a time as I had wanted. Its been hard for me to push past running 3 straight minutes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Kim! I haven't made it much past week 1-2 yet. I'm hoping this time I'll complete it the full way through. I'm not sure of suggestions regarding speed though. Anyone else?
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm Sandy and would love to join this group!

I ran a 5k years ago at my heaviest weight (208) and compared it to being buckled into a roller coaster that you desperately don't want to be on anymore. :) It took me just under an hour and I felt so accomplished!

Fall is gorgeous and goes by quickly in Minnesota so I'd love to at least start up running until the snow starts to fly. :)

I am getting over bronchitis and won't be starting for another week so I might be a little behind but will plan to post here regularly! :)

Hi Sandy! I hope you get to feeling better. That's awesome you've completed a 5k. I've done it walking/running, but never fully running. I don't even care if I'm the last one to finish at this point. I just want to be able to do it. I'm really thinking this group will help accomplish that :]
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Hey Group! I am completely new to this but I start my training tomor - I am looking to keep motivated and I am here to support all of you :) Good luck

Awesome!! Keep us updated on your progress.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I did my first day of c25k yesterday... kinda hard for me... i've never attempted to run before and is difficult !!!

HI Claudia!
    Are you doing yours outside or on a treadmill? I know for me the treadmill is physically easier to handle because it's flat and a smoother surface to run on. Maybe that would be a good way to get yourself into doing it. I struggle with outdoors too. I think I'll wait til week 3 before I switch from the gym to my neighborhood.
  • branfran2011
    Options
    I just restarted this again, this will make my 3rd time. It's supposed to be a charm right? :)
    I did w1d1 today, but it didn't feel like I worked out enough, so I did it twice in a row. My legs are now telling me that once was enough, lol. I'm looking to lose some weight by running, and tone up with yoga.
  • claudiaxcu
    claudiaxcu Posts: 113 Member
    Options

HI Claudia!
    Are you doing yours outside or on a treadmill? I know for me the treadmill is physically easier to handle because it's flat and a smoother surface to run on. Maybe that would be a good way to get yourself into doing it. I struggle with outdoors too. I think I'll wait til week 3 before I switch from the gym to my neighborhood.

thanks for the tips, i tried on the treadmill and is sooo much easier... i get so out of breath.. but i think i just that i need to adapt... i just moved to a city at 2600m from sea level and is harder to breath over here. I'll be working on that.. in the meantime i finished week 1 :P
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I did day two yesterday! Seemed to have more problems yesterday than on day one though :/ I think that's due to my allergies/asthma from allegies and the fact that in Ohio the weather changes about 30 times a day. Anyone else finished this week yet? I'm planning for day 3 to be tomorrow!!!
  • HisDDT
    HisDDT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm starting my Week 1 this evening and am pretty nervous to be honest. I'm starting at 238 lbs and am terrified of how I'll look jogging, but I have to do this. I have to show myself I can finish this program and am hoping that by this time next year I will be able to run at the runs held for Cancer awareness. It's really important to me as a 4 time survivor to show it can be done.

I'm here looking for support and friendship with people who are in this for the best reasons.
  • bridgettetodd9
    bridgettetodd9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello! Thanks for putting this group together! I'm new to the group and I'm on *week 1, day 1* of my commitment to do a couch to 5k. I've always been active but tend to loathe formal exercise, and my small attempts to lose weight just aren't doing the trick. I'm aiming to get a few friends and coworkers to join, and I'd love to hear about your progress (both goals and setbacks). Be well!