Juicing question

Options
Today is day 2 of me juicing. Day one wasn't to bad but this evening has been hard. I have slept most of the day and had a bad headache. Can anyone tell me what to expect and when will the hunger pains go away? Thanks

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Today is day 2 of me juicing. Day one wasn't to bad but this evening has been hard. I have slept most of the day and had a bad headache. Can anyone tell me what to expect and when will the hunger pains go away? Thanks

Have you seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead? If not, it may help to answer some of your questions. Joe Cross claimed that about 3 days of Hell was normal.... then you are supposed to start feeling great. This could depend on what kind of diet you were eating up until 2 days ago. That is... if you just gave up caffeine when you started juicing, you're almost guaranteed to have withdrawal symptoms... which would last longer than 3 days in my experience.... or if you were eating just about any kind of 'standard' North American diet, you're probably gonna have some withdrawal symptoms from something in the food you were eating.

My transition to juice was just a bit smoother.... I'd given up my #1 vice, which was Diet Dr Pepper, sometime before starting juicing, and my diet wasn't 'too' bad before I went on the juice, either. The only symptoms I had, really, were feelings of weakness, and a bit of lightheadedness... which really never went away, until I stopped juicing.

If you're able to spend alot of time in bed, and tough it out, I'd try to go at least 4 days, total, to see if the headaches go away, and if you feel better. If you still feel rotten, and have headaches, it might be time to re-evaluate, whether or not you wanna keep trying this... or at least take something for the headaches.

As for hunger.... if you're gonna stick it out with the juice for a bit.... drink as much juice as you can.... and look for recipes or try adding stuff that might be slightly more filling. If I recall, when I was on straight juice, I juiced about 6 times a day. It was actually rather time consuming... all that making juice, and cleaning the juicer..... And I only lasted 10 days on just juice.... by the 10th day, I felt emotionally really good.... like a high.... but physically, a little bit weak.... and I'd been craving salad, and nuts, so I started eating them.... transitioning my diet to juice about 4 times a day, and a big ( and I mean BIG ) salad, with mixed nuts on it, then I started adding, chicken or tuna, and now, black beans to my salad.... I have since, gone to no juice... I have a grapefruit for breakfast, followed by Quaker instant oatmeal, ( 2 packs ) with fruit on top... a huge salad, as described, previously for lunch. Then, dinner is a mixed bag... I try to eat what the family is eating... which I often make.... sometimes i make big salads to go with their supper, then I eat more of that.... or if I make frozen vegetables, I eat more of them.....

Sorry, I started rambling. It's just that, IMHO.... when you do something a bit 'radical,' like juicing.... I think it's VERY important to have your exit strategy planned out, that is, how you will transition from stage 1, nothing but juice, into the next phase... whatever that is for you. And maybe, if you think a little bit about your long term plan, it will help you though this phase.... the headache / pain and hunger phase. :wink:

If you have seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.... you'll realize by now, that Joe skimmed past a few of the uglier details... he did document his initial pain when he started juicing.... but, the 'glamor' of the rest of the movie, kinda overshadows that. I also really wonder, how he cleaned that damn juicer, and his fruit and vegetables when he was on the road. At work, we don't have clean, running water.... and I had to rinse each part of the juicer with bottled water in a dishpan.... every day, 4 times a day..... :sad:

Anyhow, I hope that helps. Hopefully, reading all this hasn't added to your headache.