Replies

• crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    There's free plans you can find online.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Hypothyroidism Revolution? According to Tom Brimeyer, it works for every single one of his clients, including those with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. Have a look at http://hypothyroidismevolution.com/ for more info. Hope it Helps...

Never heard of it but I will check it out :)
  • jrosedavis
    jrosedavis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this; I read it and cried because so much of this applies to me and explains so much of how I feel. Many people simply do not understand that having Hashi's effects every part of your physical and mental well-being. I was formally diagnosed and started seeing an endocrinologist in February, but I have been on and off Synthroid for years. My former primary doctor would always take me off Synthroid whenever my levels were "normal" (meaning TSH under 5) despite my continued symptoms. I have suffered with symptoms since I was a teenager, and even though I repeatedly requested to have my thyroid tested (somehow I knew that this was the issue) for nearly ten years I was refused and diagnosed with depression and medicated for that.

I am happy to say that I am now much better managed and on my way to being as "normal" as I can be. Thank RoseTears143 for this group; it's nice to find people who understand the struggle with this disease!
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Thank you for this; I read it and cried because so much of this applies to me and explains so much of how I feel. Many people simply do not understand that having Hashi's effects every part of your physical and mental well-being. I was formally diagnosed and started seeing an endocrinologist in February, but I have been on and off Synthroid for years. My former primary doctor would always take me off Synthroid whenever my levels were "normal" (meaning TSH under 5) despite my continued symptoms. I have suffered with symptoms since I was a teenager, and even though I repeatedly requested to have my thyroid tested (somehow I knew that this was the issue) for nearly ten years I was refused and diagnosed with depression and medicated for that.

I am happy to say that I am now much better managed and on my way to being as "normal" as I can be. Thank RoseTears143 for this group; it's nice to find people who understand the struggle with this disease!

your post just made me get all teary <3 It's sad you had to struggle for so long before getting well but sadly that's the same story I hear all too often among thyroid people. :( But I'm glad you are OK now and that you found us here to share your experiences and frustrations with everyone :) Welcome!!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Just an hour ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's diseas. After years of complaining about my brittle hair, my terribel dry skin, my lack of energy, my hip pain. A whole slew of things and being told to just get up and get out. That it was all because I was fat. Reading this, reading all about Hashimoto's just makes me want to cry with relief. Yes, I will have to struggle with this for the rest of my life but now I know why this is happened and have a path to health.

Did anyone else have a really emotional reaction to their diagnosis or is it just me? Like it's not my fault that I couldn't fix myself like everyone else can. Why I can't be as skinny or pretty as other girls. lol.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just an hour ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's diseas. After years of complaining about my brittle hair, my terribel dry skin, my lack of energy, my hip pain. A whole slew of things and being told to just get up and get out. That it was all because I was fat. Reading this, reading all about Hashimoto's just makes me want to cry with relief. Yes, I will have to struggle with this for the rest of my life but now I know why this is happened and have a path to health.

Did anyone else have a really emotional reaction to their diagnosis or is it just me? Like it's not my fault that I couldn't fix myself like everyone else can. Why I can't be as skinny or pretty as other girls. lol.
    Welcome to the family!
    I can't say I had an emotional reaction but it was nice to know I wasn't going mad. Your life doesn't have to be a struggle. Eat well, look after yourself and then just move forward :smile:
  • RoseTears143
    Options

Welcome to our family <3

I had an emotional reaction when I got Dx'd even though I knew deep down I had this for years before I got my Dx. I just knew something was wrong with my body. But it was hard to accept in my early 20's that I had an AI disease and medication would need to be taken to supplement my missing hormones, it can be a lot to take in. But just know you aren't alone :flowerforyou:
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last week (with TSH levels of 55!), but initially felt nothing but relief, thinking that perhaps now, with the right medication, I will finally be able to lose the weight. I really didn't know that much about Hashimoto's before, though I met my half sister this year for the first time, and found out she has it too.

Reading this just now made me start sobbing at my desk. I had no idea how many of the symptoms I have had over the years, but ESPECIALLY this past year could be attributed to Hashimoto's. Many of the symptoms can also be caused by Celiac's/gluten intolerance, which I have known about for about 12 years. So perhaps I have had Hashimoto's for much longer than I thought, and just attributed everything to the gluten. The thing that surprised me the most was the mention of miscarriages. In the last 21 years, I have given birth to two premature stillborn babies, and had 3 miscarriages. Following the last one, they even sent tissue samples to the Mayo clinic, but nobody could figure out why I couldn't carry a baby to term. I have no living children. Could I have had Hashimoto's all this time, and not known it? This is the first real emotional reaction I have had to the Dx, and now I just want to spend the rest of the day doing research, but I'm guessing my boss would not be pleased. So maybe I will just slip off to the bathroom to cry for a little while.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last week (with TSH levels of 55!), but initially felt nothing but relief, thinking that perhaps now, with the right medication, I will finally be able to lose the weight. I really didn't know that much about Hashimoto's before, though I met my half sister this year for the first time, and found out she has it too.

Reading this just now made me start sobbing at my desk. I had no idea how many of the symptoms I have had over the years, but ESPECIALLY this past year could be attributed to Hashimoto's. Many of the symptoms can also be caused by Celiac's/gluten intolerance, which I have known about for about 12 years. So perhaps I have had Hashimoto's for much longer than I thought, and just attributed everything to the gluten. The thing that surprised me the most was the mention of miscarriages. In the last 21 years, I have given birth to two premature stillborn babies, and had 3 miscarriages. Following the last one, they even sent tissue samples to the Mayo clinic, but nobody could figure out why I couldn't carry a baby to term. I have no living children. Could I have had Hashimoto's all this time, and not known it? This is the first real emotional reaction I have had to the Dx, and now I just want to spend the rest of the day doing research, but I'm guessing my boss would not be pleased. So maybe I will just slip off to the bathroom to cry for a little while.

I actually STILL have days where I get so flustered with this mess and dealing with everything that comes with hashi's that I cry over it and feel sorry for myself. Sometimes we deal with SO MUCH that we have to let it out somehow. Even those closest to us (the ones we THOUGHT would understand and comfort or support us) don't want to hear us whine and complain about anything...since they think that's all we do anyway. As if it isn't real and we just want attention. >_<
  • handkeswife
    handkeswife Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to have found this group. Just diagnosed last week with Hashimotos (TSH of 19, unknown level of antibodies since the machine only read to 6500). I have fought, and fought, and fought for the past 5-6 years to get tested for ANYTHING because of my insomnia, irritability, menstrual issues, mental fogginess, etc. I basically got patted on the head and told I was getting older and got tried on every single anti-depressant made with no results. I started the weight gain last September and when it hit 50lbs in 5 months, I finally found a doctor who would listen. Thanks to her, I no longer feel I'm going crazy and that there is something I can do. My primary physician put me on 50mcg of Synthroid (a good friend of mine, a surgeon, told me to double it and he would write my next prescription! LOL!), I'm trying some kelp, selenium, magnesium and starting a gluten free diet. I slept more than 4 hours last night for the first time in over a year, so somethings working.
    Happy to be here, and happy to know there's others out there.
    Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I'm so happy to have found this group. Just diagnosed last week with Hashimotos (TSH of 19, unknown level of antibodies since the machine only read to 6500). I have fought, and fought, and fought for the past 5-6 years to get tested for ANYTHING because of my insomnia, irritability, menstrual issues, mental fogginess, etc. I basically got patted on the head and told I was getting older and got tried on every single anti-depressant made with no results. I started the weight gain last September and when it hit 50lbs in 5 months, I finally found a doctor who would listen. Thanks to her, I no longer feel I'm going crazy and that there is something I can do. My primary physician put me on 50mcg of Synthroid (a good friend of mine, a surgeon, told me to double it and he would write my next prescription! LOL!), I'm trying some kelp, selenium, magnesium and starting a gluten free diet. I slept more than 4 hours last night for the first time in over a year, so somethings working.
    Happy to be here, and happy to know there's others out there.
    Please feel free to add me as a friend.

What a releif to get some sleep!!! I have days here and there with insomnia as well and recently changed the time I take my meds to try correcting it again. So glad you found us :)
  • suzfimbres
    suzfimbres Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I cried last week when I got off the phone with my doctor telling me I tested positive for Hashi's. Then I started doing some research and cried in RELIEF also! I'm. Not. Crazy! And I'm not a hypochondriac! My friends and family have been so wonderful and understanding, and when I have said I felt like a hypochondriac they've always reassured me that I'm not. But oh my gosh, I always felt like I was complaining about my health or always had some kind of annoying medical reason for having to bail on most of my social engagements. I had even been dumped on more than a few occasions because I wanted to stay in and relax/watch movies/fall asleep all the time, and never had the energy to go out and be social. (I'm happily married now, to my best friend, and he never makes me feel badly for not feeling up to doing much.)

So happy to have found this group!
  • RoseTears143
    Options

I cried last week when I got off the phone with my doctor telling me I tested positive for Hashi's. Then I started doing some research and cried in RELIEF also! I'm. Not. Crazy! And I'm not a hypochondriac! My friends and family have been so wonderful and understanding, and when I have said I felt like a hypochondriac they've always reassured me that I'm not. But oh my gosh, I always felt like I was complaining about my health or always had some kind of annoying medical reason for having to bail on most of my social engagements. I had even been dumped on more than a few occasions because I wanted to stay in and relax/watch movies/fall asleep all the time, and never had the energy to go out and be social. (I'm happily married now, to my best friend, and he never makes me feel badly for not feeling up to doing much.)

So happy to have found this group!

How gret to have such supportive family and friends. Most of us aren't that lucky and suffer alone or in silence for a very long time before family and friends will finally realize it's a REAL issue. You are most definitely NOT crazy! :)

Glad to have you with us :flowerforyou:
  • Fuzzy1982
    Fuzzy1982 Posts: 22
    Options
    So I'm sitting here reading this and absolutely bawling my eyes out. To make a long story short (or as short as I can), I've lived in six cities in the past fourteen years of my life... and multiple doctors in each city. The first time I sought out a doctor for multiple symptoms I was 18 years old. I had arthritis in my fingers, wrists and elbows. I was getting hives from stress (especially across my throat) and my vitiligo was spreading at an alarming rate. I asked for my thyroid to be tested... my doctor told me that things were in my head. Multiple doctors told me that since then. I've been put on Paxil (treat the anxiety... everything else is fine) and had a horrible reaction to it. I was slapped on birth control for weight issues. I was put on prednisone for hair loss and arthritis... boy, did that only last a day or two... sick as a dog on that stuff. No doctor would listen to me about my thyroid. I was "crazy".

Fast forward to current day... I'm 32 and married for almost a year now. We moved to the New Orleans area last August for the hubby's grad school. My symptoms started to flare something CRAZY. I had given up on doctors because of so many bad experiences but my husband is my rock and encouraged me (persistently, lol) to go see a doctor here. I brought along my last set of blood tests (which are 7 years old) and prepared to battle with myself in order to not get walked all over like before. My new doctor (thank you, God, for such an awesome doctor!) looked over my current laundry list of symptoms, looked at my last bloodwork, looked at me and said "Wait... so when these test results came back in they didn't put you on thyroid medication???" ... cue the tears. Ok, not just a few... but a waterfall of salty teardrops, grossness coming out of my nose and gasping for breath. It was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. With the cycles of symptoms and vitiligo he's 99.999% sure it's Hashimoto's. I go back July 8th to get my current numbers and see what dosage of Armour to start on. It's a torturous wait. The light is at the end of the tunnel. Not that I expect everything to magically be better... I know that it will be a slow chiseling away at an iceberg. But I'm totally okay with that... at least it's getting somewhere!

My name is Heather. Feel free to add me... I'm a great listener and encourager. And I know I'll need encouragement and support too! :)
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just reading everyone's posts makes me feel better and pretty fortunate with my circumstances. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos nearly 2 years ago after being symptomatic for a long time. I also have pernicious anemia now and have to have weekly B12 injections, which I now can do at home. Having 2 autoimmune diseases makes me more susceptible to acquiring another so I try to take good care of myself, eating well and mostly gluten free and not overdoing the exercise. Training for a half marathon and getting to 13 mile training runs completely did me in. Before all this, I could exercise to my hearts' s content and no issues whatsoever. Let's encourage each other!
  • webweaverlady
    webweaverlady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is great and all me - thanks for posting this! I have been struggling with Hashimoto's for more years then I care to remember
    and often can't explain this to family and friends - only someone else who has this can really understand so I figure I'm in good company :)

Started myfitnesspal a long time ago but was never really as determined as I am now. Read so much on this disease that
    everything seems to run together sometimes. I recently gave up gluten and do feel better but want to start eating more healthy
    and try to get more exercise.

Any help and encouragement would be very helpful :)

webweaverlady
  • flipleis
    flipleis Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow...finally...a safe space for talking about his. I have been at my wits end trying to make sense of my physical and emotional problems - which have escalated in the past year to critical mass. I have always been hypo (or at least for the last umpteen years) but then I guess I broke through the meds (compounded, similar to armour) and/or I suspect they were not taking the antibody tests for several years (the thyroblobulin and the peroxidase autoimmune markers). Well, after stumbling into my doc's office a total mess: anxiety, weight gain, edema in feet and ankles, general fatigue and depression...she ran a full test. And not surprisingly there was the hashimoto's diagnosis (can I get some wasabi with that?). I am far from it being under control - I have been given a compounded T3 only - but have not found that the levels are correct yet. However, the edema has subsided a little (for a while I had elephant feet with a tightness that creased the skin and changed the texture of my skin). So I know things are headed in the right direction, just not there yet. The disruption of my sleep patterns (I sleep a few hours and then bolt out of bed a few hours later like I was hit by lightning) plus nagging constipation (which creates a lot of anxiety) are still playing havoc with me. But the good news is (!!!) at least I know what is at the root of the problem, because for a while I was feeling like Job...! It is amazing what a domino effect this one gland has over the rest of the body. Auto immune diseases are responsible for so many other symptoms that can go untreated for years until they take on a life of their own. And western docs (my GP for example, not my gyno who is treating the hashi's) will tell you: oh, that (fill in the blank symptom) is idiopathic - in other words, we don't know why you have (for me) edema, but there's no apparent cause for it. (My GP thinks that because TSH is in normal range that there is no thyroid involvement.) Bottom line is you have to advocate/educate yourself because you start to know intuitively what makes sense. The only part of "idiopathy' that makes sense is the 'idiot' part. One of the things I am doing that might be helpful for others is dry skin brushing - because of the involvement of the lymphatic system (edema/lymphedema) and really, just for general health - stimulating this system can only help support the immune system. Now, if I can only get a handle on the weight issue (I cannot lose an ounce, despite going GF, despite making healthy choices, eating fewer calories, exercising, etc.) I will feel like I'm on the right track again. (I've stopped beating myself up about the weight, but still, I get on the scale and say: "really? you ate well, not a lot of calories, no sugar , no late night snack, no nothing - and still stuck at this weight?") The body is mysterious indeed. Thank you for creating space for these concerns.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Wow...finally...a safe space for talking about his. I have been at my wits end trying to make sense of my physical and emotional problems - which have escalated in the past year to critical mass. I have always been hypo (or at least for the last umpteen years) but then I guess I broke through the meds (compounded, similar to armour) and/or I suspect they were not taking the antibody tests for several years (the thyroblobulin and the peroxidase autoimmune markers). Well, after stumbling into my doc's office a total mess: anxiety, weight gain, edema in feet and ankles, general fatigue and depression...she ran a full test. And not surprisingly there was the hashimoto's diagnosis (can I get some wasabi with that?). I am far from it being under control - I have been given a compounded T3 only - but have not found that the levels are correct yet. However, the edema has subsided a little (for a while I had elephant feet with a tightness that creased the skin and changed the texture of my skin). So I know things are headed in the right direction, just not there yet. The disruption of my sleep patterns (I sleep a few hours and then bolt out of bed a few hours later like I was hit by lightning) plus nagging constipation (which creates a lot of anxiety) are still playing havoc with me. But the good news is (!!!) at least I know what is at the root of the problem, because for a while I was feeling like Job...! It is amazing what a domino effect this one gland has over the rest of the body. Auto immune diseases are responsible for so many other symptoms that can go untreated for years until they take on a life of their own. And western docs (my GP for example, not my gyno who is treating the hashi's) will tell you: oh, that (fill in the blank symptom) is idiopathic - in other words, we don't know why you have (for me) edema, but there's no apparent cause for it. (My GP thinks that because TSH is in normal range that there is no thyroid involvement.) Bottom line is you have to advocate/educate yourself because you start to know intuitively what makes sense. The only part of "idiopathy' that makes sense is the 'idiot' part. One of the things I am doing that might be helpful for others is dry skin brushing - because of the involvement of the lymphatic system (edema/lymphedema) and really, just for general health - stimulating this system can only help support the immune system. Now, if I can only get a handle on the weight issue (I cannot lose an ounce, despite going GF, despite making healthy choices, eating fewer calories, exercising, etc.) I will feel like I'm on the right track again. (I've stopped beating myself up about the weight, but still, I get on the scale and say: "really? you ate well, not a lot of calories, no sugar , no late night snack, no nothing - and still stuck at this weight?") The body is mysterious indeed. Thank you for creating space for these concerns.

So glad you found out what was causing your troubles! But Hashi's isn't your root cause. There is something causing the hashi's...and once you find that, THAT is your root cause. For many people it stems from a food intolerance causing issues in your gut which creates permeability in your intestines and wwreaks havoc on your immune system. But the first step to getting better is definitely researching and learning, you are on your way! :)
  • flipleis
    Options
    [/quote]
    There is something causing the hashi's...and once you find that, THAT is your root cause. For many people it stems from a food intolerance causing issues in your gut which creates permeability in your intestines and wwreaks havoc on your immune system. But the first step to getting better is definitely researching and learning, you are on your way! :)
    [/quote]

Ack! Really? Egads! I mentioned food sensitivity test on another thread and got my head bit off...do you recommend that? If so, how does one go about it?

By the way, I want to compliment you and your poetic description of this disease - how multi-faceted it is, it's a real trickster. You managed to 'humanize' it in a way that really helps.
  • flipleis
    Options
    by the way, clearly I don't know how to make something in a quote appear properly in my replies, so please forgive my technical inability!