deadlifts - dizzy/lightheaded and pacing between reps

Options
neandermagnon
neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
I've had this problem, i.e. dizzy/lightheaded after doing deadlifts.... well anyway yesterday's workout I went to answer a text message mid set, and walking seemed to make the dizziness a lot less severe, so I paced up and down between each rep for the rest of the set and bam! problem solved!!

so does that still count as 1 set of 5 reps if I'm pacing up and down between reps?

It seems that this problem is like when you're running (or other leg cardio) and stop running suddenly.... the leg muscles have a role in helping blood go back to the heart.... if you work your legs hard, your heart pumps blood to them, if you stop moving them suddenly, the amount of blood going back to your heart decreases but the heart rate is still just as high, this causes a drop in blood pressure, which causes dizziness. Keeping moving your legs stops that drop in blood pressure. Never thought it would happen with deadlifts but really, it is working the leg muscles hard and they're under tension.... so anyway, I found that pacing up and down helped a lot.

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    it's probably technically 5 sets of 1, but who cares?! you didn't faint and you lifted the weight :)
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    so how would that affect calculating 1RMs on deadlifts? Do I count my working weight as a 1RM?

(not that this is for anything important, just the "leaderboard" thing in "women who lift and the guys who spot them"

I should really start trying to get true 1RMs.... but I'm still saving up for a power cage.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You're doing five sets of 1 with short rest breaks, so it would not be appropriate to assume that this is a 1x5 set for the purposes of estimating a 1RM. If you feel that you are working near the edge of your capacity on this lift, it's probably close to your current 1RM anyway.

But about the dizziness. I would still like to see what your lifts look like. The fact that it keeps happening on squats and deadlifts alike suggests to me that it's either an incorrectly performed Valsalva or an atypical response to the maneuver (though not unheard of--see below).

Here is some relevant discussion on the SS forum. A general thread about the Valsalva maneuver:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=42873

This thread is specifically about passing out during deadlifts:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=34192

What I would suggest is using lighter weights; the kind that you can use in a proper set of 5. If you are patient, your cardiovascular system should adapt to this overtime. But there is more in-depth discussion in that forum, as you can see.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I took a poll at my gym and everyone said they get light headed during heavy deadlifts. I always thought it was part of the thrill.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I took a poll at my gym and everyone said they get light headed during heavy deadlifts. I always thought it was part of the thrill.

Interesting. I've never experienced it.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I experience dizziness and feel lightheaded now that I am dead lifting more than my body weight. I purposely lift with a wall to my back so I have a ready support if needed. And I take a few minutes between lifts. So, in reality, I do 5 x 1.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Interesting. I've never experienced it.

Maybe you have superior blood pressure regulation and are becoming a hero? Was there an eclipse recently?
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    You're doing five sets of 1 with short rest breaks, so it would not be appropriate to assume that this is a 1x5 set for the purposes of estimating a 1RM. If you feel that you are working near the edge of your capacity on this lift, it's probably close to your current 1RM anyway.

But about the dizziness. I would still like to see what your lifts look like. The fact that it keeps happening on squats and deadlifts alike suggests to me that it's either an incorrectly performed Valsalva or an atypical response to the maneuver (though not unheard of--see below).

Here is some relevant discussion on the SS forum. A general thread about the Valsalva maneuver:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=42873

This thread is specifically about passing out during deadlifts:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=34192

What I would suggest is using lighter weights; the kind that you can use in a proper set of 5. If you are patient, your cardiovascular system should adapt to this overtime. But there is more in-depth discussion in that forum, as you can see.

I'm pretty sure the guy fainted in that video because he continued to hold his breath after his rep. OP, I'm sure pacing helped you because you were breathing at the time. I used to have this problem too in the past. I was able to stop this by only holding my breath for as long as necessary. You also want to make sure you are not putting pressure on the arteries in your neck by looking down.
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy during deadlifts so just take my time. I have low blood pressure so sometimes get dizzy if standing up too fast.

Feeling relieved to read this actually.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    thanks for all the responses especially the links to the starting strength forum discussions

having read the medical stuff in one of those threads, a) you're all probably right about breathing and b) dehydration might also be a factor given the climate I live in and I also feel lightheaded after standing up just from the sofa sometimes, and it seems to be worse in July and August (i.e. hottest most humid months in Bahrain). It's easy to get dehydrated and I don't always feel thirsty when i should (been like that since I can remember). I am careful to drink plenty of fluids, will have to be even more careful on lifting days.