Brand new to juicing Do I need a whole week to get ready?

Options
I all! I just got home from buying my juicer and I am set to go. My goal is a 15 day reboot fast, with possibility of 30 days if I can take it (I am giving myself grace to make that decision at the end of 15 days). I am following Joe Cross and he suggests a week of gearing up and getting off of processed foods, meats, dairy, and loading up on veggies with some juicing. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I really need a whole week? I am already off of caffeine (that's a whole nother story - whew!) and am not a huge dairy or meat gal. I am really amped up to get started , so what do you think?

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hey, I hope I can help you with this. I'd love to hear your caffeine story... I kicked a nasty Diet Dr Pepper habit, before I went on my juice binge.

Setting a 15 day goal and then reassessing is a very solid plan. I set out with the best of intentions, and quickly realized 10 days on straight juice was about all I was gonna be able to take. The 1st 10 days, I did all juice, about 6 times a day... then, I started craving salad and nuts, so I went to juice about 4 times a day, + a gigantic salad. I've since transitioned to pretty much all solid food, just mega-heavy on the greens now.... and it seems to be working for me. I can elaborate later, if you like.

As for you main question.... I honestly don't think even Joe did that... he never really mentioned it in the movie... it seems like almost more of an afterthought. It does sound like it would make sense and help... depending on what your diet is like now.

I'm more of a all or nothing kinda guy... so, working up to the juice 'fast'... wasn't my style. I bought the juicer, and a cr@p-load of vegetables and fruit, and came home and had at 'er. I learned a lot real quick, which again, I can elaborate on later, if you like.

However, like you, I'd already dumped the caffeine habit, and my diet wasn't THAT bad.... so, I wasn't going into any heavy withdrawal, when I went straight to juice. It's gonna be a personal thing. Much like in the movie, people react differently, so you probably wanna be prepared for just about anything.

I didn't feel overly cr@ppy, ever, on the juice. But, I did feel kind of logy and sluggish, which isn't that odd for a sloth... and I felt a bit 'confused...' sometimes too. This is most likely simply due to a fairly big calorie deficit. I felt, 'good' emotionally, though... almost a 'found gawd' kinda good... no offense to anyone.... But, I sure as hell wasn't up for any exercise or anything like that, when I was on straight juice.

If you feel like you're good to go, then I'd go for it. If you're diet for the last several months has consisted of mostly Twinkies and beer, you might be in for a bit of a shock.
  • DeterminedinCA
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I think I may compromise and go another 24 to 48 hours concentrating on veggies and no meat, dairy and ramp up the water.

So this is my caffeine story - hubby and I did a 21 day cleanse back in January - the idea was to abstain from 5 things: animal products, sugar, gluten, caffeine and alcohol. I quickly learned that I could not cold turkey the caffeine so I started weaning myself off. (Back story - I was a caffeine addict, at least 3 to 4 cups a morning PLUS ice tea most of the day with the occasional Diet pepsi). Uncle Si's got nothing on me! Anyway..
    I started by doing 3 scoops regular coffee and one scoop decaf in the brewer; the idea being to use less regular and more decaf - But I thought that would be safe but I still got headaches. Long story short it took me about 5 months to completely wean myself off of caffeine - I still drink decaf coffee but have made the switch to herbal tea in the past 2 days. Ridiculous I know but I just could not take the withdrawal headaches and the mid day lethargy (like falling asleep at my desk).

It was a long road and I still have an occasional craving for a Grande drip from Starbucks - aw the good old days.