Advice on going to hairdresser, hairloss ladies

Options
Hello everyone,

So I'm 25 and have been suffering with the dreaded thinning of hair symptom for about a year and a half now, the shedding has slowed down because I'm trying hard to get my hormones in control with exercise and all the rest. For the last six months I've been cutting my own hair, keeping the short layers and it's looked kind of shaggy and my hair has always grown at varying rates across my head. I'm planning to pluck up the courage and go to the damn hairdresser just to get a decent cut soon, but I wondered - have any of you had any problems in this area? Like, are hairdressers sensitive to women with hair-loss, should I say something when I'm booking an appointment or what?

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My stylist happens to have PCOS so that was a huge help! She was the one who confirmed for me that I was losing too much hair - my doctor had told me he didn't think it was a lot. She told me to go and tell him that it was an unusual amount - she could tell by when she washed and conditioned my hair. She's also great with cuts and layers and all that and very sensitive to my issues. If you do not have a regular stylist, I would mention it when you call - that you have a health issue that causes thinning hair and do they have anyone who specializes in that. You might be surprised.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great idea, thank you! I don't have a regular stylist, and so I think I'll do that and mention my problem :D