Week 2

Options
DragonflyF15
DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
So, how did you do with the first 7 days? Make it through the weekend?

I went to a bonfire on Saturday and had grape spritzers (it was a white trash party, so instead of having Purple Passion, I picked up some juice to mix with seltzer to cut down calories and sweetness) and it was actually nice to be fully engaged with some of the conversations I had. It also helped that there were a couple of others who were not drinking either.

Sunday, I kept myself busy all day and had a really nice slow paced walk to enjoy the beautiful weather we had. Got plenty of sleep last night and feel great about starting the week off instead of that dragging feeling. I do miss a good beer with it being October, but I thought why are we programmed to think October is the only time to drink a good IPA? I can have my own German Festival whenever, it's just about delaying gratification and moderation. Be that food, drinks, or any other vice.

Have a great week and don't sweat it if you slipped or struggling, the key is becoming aware :flowerforyou:

Day 38 of my 60 day challenge

Replies

• CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The only real challenge I had was watching hockey this weekend, but at least we stayed home to watch it rather than going out to the pub which would have been harder. And hubby didn't drink either so it was a pretty easy weekend for me!

This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and I'll be at my parents place... this will probably be a little bit more difficult but I still think not too bad :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon!!!! Saturday I gave my husband a surprise 50th bday party of course I was drinking and celebrating. Sunday I had left over wine so of course I drank one of the bottles that a guest gave. BUT good news I have never done before I had 2 HUGE bottles leftover and I POURED them down the drain!!!

Yesterday Oct 7th was my hubby actual bday so we went to his favorite Mexican restaurant. My intentions were to drink water but my husband was like HECK NO it's my bday so you have to have a drink. I did just have 2 glasses of wine though.

I am on track today NO wine nothing!!! I am actually going out for a run right now!!!

Have a great day!!!!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Luckily this is not a MOVING wagon so when you fall off, just jump back on :)
  • hollykirsten
    hollykirsten Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just joined the group but I had started this on my own beginning of October anyways so I am soo happy I came across this! My first weekend I was sooo proud of myself! I stayed home instead of going to the bar to watch my football team play and we went to a comedy show and I was the DD for my friends! So far a successful Octsober!
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    Great job everyone and welcome to the group. As CharRicho said, jump back on if you slipped. We aren't here to judge, just encourage one another to a healthier lifestyle and choices. Not only does over indulging in cocktails wreak havoc on the diet (and choices), saps one of energy the next day (not to mention the headaches!) but takes a toll on our looks http://www.stylelist.com/read/the-honest-truth-how-alcohol-affects-your-skin/ Which reminds me, I need to catch up on my water intake.:wink:

I think by the time I was at week two, I had alot of people say I looked more refreshed and "radiant'. I think alot of it had to do with drinking more water and teas when out, not to mention not as many fried or fast foods which was common with a few drinks while out. Have a great week and start planning now for the weekend. Don't avoid not going out to have fun just cause alcohol is being served. It's really just a change in the mindset. I try not to think of it as I'm doing without alcohol, but I'm liberating myself of it and taking control of my health :)
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    Awesome to hear everyone doing well & welcome to the new member. I just love having the group to be accountable to because it makes me more aware of my consumption. I too have had a good 8 days, except Saturday I ran a mudrun and drank one of the free beers offered :). Didn't drink it all but did have some, just couldn't resist! But I'm proud to report I jumped right back on it and haven't had a drink since. Moderation is hard for me so I'm proud of myself. This week I don't have any big plans but if I get the craving will drink hot tea instead. Let's see how it goes! :)
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    Awesome job Star! Just being conscious of it is a good start for moderation in the future :)

I read this article someone had posted and wanted to share for those who are struggling with drinking issues (and not just for weight loss) http://happierlikethis.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/belle-this-is-what-i-wanted-to-say/

I've stocked up on teas myself, everything from ones that uplift, to ones that give peace and serenity. I'm a sucker for that marketing in naming teas...candles, facial products, lol. Anyways, big Octoberfest going on this weekend and I do like the taste of beer, so I picked up some O'douls Amber so I can partake in the festivities. It doesn't cut down on the calories, as it's 90 cals, but figured since I won't be getting buzzed, I can be a bit more mindful about selections of food and portion sizes :)

If you guys get through this weekend, we will be about halfway there :)
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    Wow, thank you Dragonfly, it was a great rea and powerful! And I can relate to slipping into these habits after starting a family, because that's when I needed a "crutch" or so I thought. I bookmarked the page!

Well we decided to have a family camping trip this weekend and it went great! Normally hubby and I partake in a six pack or so but not this weekend... we had all the fun minus the alcohol. We're pretty proud of ourselves. :) How is everyone else doing?