Just joining you all...in Joey's memory

Options
Hi,
As the one year anniversary of my brother's death from liver failure due to excessive drinking approaches -- October 19-- I was trying to find a fitting way to, I don't know, remember him, do something in his memory, not sure what my goal here is. He was 47. I just turned 47 a few weeks ago. I too sometimes gravitate to a second glass of wine (or 3d) taking in empty calories and then become a fridge raider soon after. I know when I cut my wine back to just special occasions, the weight just melts off and I feel better. Last night I had the idea that a fitting thing to do would be Sober in October. It is something he would be proud of me to accomplish, and I am sure he is happy to see me cutting back, losing weight, and becoming healthy. Then, like it was meant to be, I saw your group. So I am starting a little late, but I will visit often to support and look for support. I am going away this weekend and it will be a challenge, but I am bringing the sparkling water, and a picture of my brother. I hope you don't mind me joining so late -Andrea

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! What a coincidence! Sorry about your brother! But you are doing a great thing for him. I too love wine and I am not drinking for the month of October and then some. I had wine the last 3 days because I was celebrating my husbands bday so I dont count those days! LOL!!!

Welcome!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! It's never too late to start, just jump in! I am sorry to hear of your loss. I have lost a few friends along the way due to drinking related issues and losing control. Some one would have never had guessed would become the alcoholic. I have to say I am not raiding the fridge as much...but these October goodies of pumpkin spice this, apple that...lol!

Again, welcome :flowerforyou:
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, I'm sure he would be proud of you for taking the challenge! Welcome to the group!
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Glad to have you :)