CrossFit gear recommendations from an experienced coach

Options
Earlier today I read a post regarding lifting shoes and it sparked the idea to write about some basic gear that will make your CrossFit experience more enjoyable. I am going to start at the top with most important and descend to items of lesser importance. This is just my opinion and the experience of others should also be considered. My recommendations have been formed over 4 years of doing CrossFit and almost 3 years of coaching.

Notebook: record your WOD's, lifts, and PR's. If you only record the benchmark WODs that is fine but CrossFit works because it makes our performance measurable. What was your Fran time in January compared to now? You'll want to keep track.

Jump rope: Even the highest end jump rope in the world is only about $40. If you are using the box's ropes, they are probably beat up and you get a different one with a different feel every time. Jumping rope requires precision which comes from using the same rope every time, especially double unders.

Minimalist shoes: traditional running shoes have a lot of padding in the heal to allow for a heal strike. These make for unstable lifting shoes. Having a minimal shoe will allow less rocking in the heal when lifting heavy and will provide a more grounded feel and stable platform for lifting. Additionally, while moving to a minimalist shoe will not automatically cause a transition to a midfoot strike, it will help you make the transition once you make a deliberate attempt to change your running style.

CrossFit friendly lifting shoes: the days of the heavyweight clog like lifting shoes is over, at least in the CrossFit universe. A good pair of lightweight lifting shoes will also be fine for most WODs that don't have running. I have seen instant improvements in squat depth an technique the moment many people put these on for the first time. These are especially helpful if you have issues with ankle flexibility.

Weight belt: I have found that a weight belt really helps with my breathing technique that increases core stability especially during heavy lifts.

Long socks: any lift where the barbell starts on the ground has the potential to cause scrapes to your shins. The same goes for box jumps. Keeping a pair of long socks handy for cleans, deadlifts and box jumps is a good idea.

Gymnastic grips: tired of ripping off your callouses during WODs with a lot of pull-ups? A pair of gymnastic grips will eliminate most rips.

Wrist wraps: these are good for wrist stability for any lift were the barbell is overhead, especially overhead squats and snatches.

Neoprene knee wraps: the common misconception is that these provide knee stability. The true benefit is that they warm the knees and the fluid inside making for more comfortable knee movement. Personally, I have never used them but I also don't have any history of knee pain. These might be higher on the list for those with a history of knee pain.

I hope this helps. Of course there are other things not on the list but this should be a good start.

Replies

• Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That will def help.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting CrossFit shoes....

Now the great question....which ones are the best?
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Minimalist shoes or lifting shoes? I have recommendations for both.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I love my Nano 3.0's. My feet shrunk and I'm now buying my second pair (NOT real happy about that, but it IS funny that my feet shrunk...).
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Good stuff - thanks for sharing! I've seen people use the gymnastics grip but didn't realize what they were until now. :happy:
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Crossfit shoes. I see different ones out there.....

I have vibrams but don't wear them to the box. Nobody else wears them so I'd feel odd.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I have vibrams but don't wear them to the box. Nobody else wears them so I'd feel odd.

I wore mine there every day until my feet shrunk too and they didn't quite fit any more.

You are already odd, you're doing Crossfit!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

You are already odd, you're doing Crossfit!

Amen. Embrace the odd.
  • Bella_DiVine
    Bella_DiVine Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I love my Nano 3.0's. My feet shrunk and I'm now buying my second pair (NOT real happy about that, but it IS funny that my feet shrunk...).

I second that, I love my Nanos :-)
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    A good thread this. Would you recommend any resistance bands for people who struggle with pull ups?
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options

A good pair of all around CrossFit shoes are pretty much anything by Inov-8, also, the Reebok Nano's seem to be popular but in my opinion, not very stylish compared to Inov-8's. Also, the New Balance Minumus is pretty solid.

Once you have a good pair of all around CrossFit shoes, you will want to look at some Olympic lifting shoes. Again, Reebok and Inov-8 make hybrid lightweight lifting shoes that are really popular and good for a variety of WODs. Check the other thread called "Considering getting lifting shoes" posted under CrossFit Love on October 9, 2013.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

A good pair of all around CrossFit shoes are pretty much anything by Inov-8, also, the Reebok Nano's seem to be popular but in my opinion, not very stylish compared to Inov-8's. Also, the New Balance Minumus is pretty solid.

Once you have a good pair of all around CrossFit shoes, you will want to look at some Olympic lifting shoes. Again, Reebok and Inov-8 make hybrid lightweight lifting shoes that are really popular and good for a variety of WODs. Check the other thread called "Considering getting lifting shoes" posted under CrossFit Love on October 9, 2013.

I did not care for any of the crossfit shoes out there. The Nanos were just not comfortable on my feet. On a trip I did a WOD at one of the local boxes and they were selling these

http://strike-mvmnt.com/FOOTWEAR/

I ended up buying a pair and I love them. I have the Interval 1s.

(note I have odd shaped feet so it is hard to find a comfortable shoe at the best of times. )
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options
    A good thread this. Would you recommend any resistance bands for people who struggle with pull ups?

Personally, I would not recommend bands for developing strength for pull ups. Here is what I have seen; someone new to the gym uses a red and purple band for doing pull ups because they cannot do a dead hang pull up. Over a period of time, say, 6 months, where initially they could only do 5 pull ups with the red and purple bands, they can now bang out 20. The problem is, they are still no closer to doing 1 dead hang pull up than they were on day 1. What happens is that the body gets really efficient at doing scaled pull ups.

The best way to develop pull ups is:
    1. Doing pull up negatives. Use a box to hop up on the pull up bar get you chin over the bar. Lower yourself down a slowly as possible. Do a few sets of this a few times/week but don't go overboard because too much can cause Rhabdo.

2. Loose weight: you will rarely hear a coach say this in a gym because weight is a sensitive topic. But look around you. Who are the people in the gym struggling with pull ups and who are the ones that do them with ease? You will notice that the lean folks have a much easier time of pull ups.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Personally, I would not recommend bands for developing strength for pull ups. Here is what I have seen; someone new to the gym uses a red and purple band for doing pull ups because they cannot do a dead hang pull up. Over a period of time, say, 6 months, where initially they could only do 5 pull ups with the red and purple bands, they can now bang out 20. The problem is, they are still no closer to doing 1 dead hang pull up than they were on day 1. What happens is that the body gets really efficient at doing scaled pull ups.

1. Doing pull up negatives. Use a box to hop up on the pull up bar get you chin over the bar. Lower yourself down a slowly as possible. Do a few sets of this a few times/week but don't go overboard because too much can cause Rhabdo.

2. Loose weight: you will rarely hear a coach say this in a gym because weight is a sensitive topic. But look around you. Who are the people in the gym struggling with pull ups and who are the ones that do them with ease? You will notice that the lean folks have a much easier time of pull ups.

I totally agree with the negatives. The same thing works for ring dips.

Also to add on for pull ups, once you can do a few unassisted do not go back to the band for the workouts. Instead work with your coach to scale the reps so you are getting the full benefits. Last year I had just got pull ups before doing Cindy and I didn’t think I could do 5 unbroken for the whole 20 mins, so I scaled to doing 2-3 each round. I got so much more benefit from the workout than doing 5 with a band.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I totally agree with the negatives. The same thing works for ring dips.

Also to add on for pull ups, once you can do a few unassisted do not go back to the band for the workouts. Instead work with your coach to scale the reps so you are getting the full benefits. Last year I had just got pull ups before doing Cindy and I didn’t think I could do 5 unbroken for the whole 20 mins, so I scaled to doing 2-3 each round. I got so much more benefit from the workout than doing 5 with a band.

As a girl who's never done an unassisted pull-up in her life, thank you for these tips.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    some great tips there man! Are the bands more useful for kipping then? As those seem to be assisted...
  • Bella_DiVine
    Bella_DiVine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    some great tips there man! Are the bands more useful for kipping then? As those seem to be assisted...

Maybe its just me but I find it almost impossible to kip with a band, they just dont allow enough movement.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options
    I would just hold off on kipping in general until you can do about 5-7 dead hang pull ups. Your shoulders will thank you for it.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would just hold off on kipping in general until you can do about 5-7 dead hang pull ups. Your shoulders will thank you for it.

^^^truth. I went headlong into kipping without realizing anything about how it might affect my shoulders (over 3 years ago). Wish someone had stopped me and told me. My shoulders are still weaker, but now at least I don't hurt myself.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this. I've already dropped 20 lbs, but I know my biggest battle in getting pull ups is just dropping the belly.

I don't think doing negative pull ups in and of themselves would cause Rhabdo so long as you are drinking plenty of water and aren't killing yourself. Only guy in our box who says he's had it got it when he was at the Naval Academy. He won't say it, but sounds like it was hazing.