Post WOD Meals

Options
Dmkolls
Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
Based upon the suggestions of coaches, I am upping my calories. I'm also trying to implement a PWO meal into the mix.

I currently go to the 5:30 WOD, and I don't get home until 6:45ish. I'm the one who cooks. So, I'll quickly shower and then prep meals (or reheat if I prepared ahead of time). Most times we're eating dinner around the 7:30ish range or later.

The research I'm seeing is that one should eat something right after you WOD with carbs and protein. This supposedly helps with fatigue, recovery, and weight loss.

Does anybody do this already? Also, what are some PWO meals you keep on hand that you eat right after? Would a whey protein shake be something to look into?

Replies

• awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A shake is something to def look at! It takes longer to break down actual foods which defeats the purpose of eating to help with recovery after a workout. You only have that certain time period and even eating right after the workout it will take to long for the food to break down. A shake is known to actually help better because it will breakdown way more quickly than a meal or food after the WOD.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    A shake is something to def look at! It takes longer to break down actual foods which defeats the purpose of eating to help with recovery after a workout. You only have that certain time period and even eating right after the workout it will take to long for the food to break down. A shake is known to actually help better because it will breakdown way more quickly than a meal or food after the WOD.

I really like Quest Bars. I take them with me everywhere.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    Personally I have a banana and a whey protein shake :)
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I add a banana to my protein shake post WOD.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings and get my regular breakfast in as soon as possible. I have 150gm cottage cheese, 1/2 pint strawberries, 1/2 banana and almond flakes with a skim latte. 30g protein and about the same in carbs.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Whey Shake is what I do for the most part after I get home from the Gym...
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I really like Quest Bars. I take them with me everywhere.

4:30 a.m. I get up and have half a Quest Bar with some juice.
    5:00 On my way in (20 minute drive), I'll sip coffee with milk.
    6:30 Post WOD, I drink my protein right away. I've heard about this 30-45 minute metabolic window, as well, but mostly I just do it because I'm hangry.
    7;30 Eat the rest of the Quest Bar on my way to work.
    8:00 Arrive at work and eat my regular breakfast... you know... unless I forgot to pack it... like today. ... Dammit.

If you're looking for something to have *right now* after your WOD, whey protein is an excellent option--nutrition, convenience, and (for me) chocolate all in one place. But if you're not far from your box and you're really looking forward to some actual breakfast, that's just as fine an option, I think.
  • AmberRyan54
    Options
    It sounds odd, but I'm a fan of baby food pouches after my workouts. They're easy, convenient, inexpensive and a your body breaks down the natural fruit sugars quickly post workout to help with recovery.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It sounds odd, but I'm a fan of baby food pouches after my workouts. They're easy, convenient, inexpensive and a your body breaks down the natural fruit sugars quickly post workout to help with recovery.

I totally do this too! I have a hard time stomaching most things for at least a few hours so I often do these as a carb source post workout, and many are totally Paleo, espcially the organic kind. My fav brand is Ella's either blueberry/banana or sweet potato/apple.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    DMKolls, have you heard of the "zone" diet? It's not so much a 'diet', but really just a way of eating. It is the official advocated diet of crossfit HQ. I recently learned all about it during my crossfit certification, it actually is really good.

The idea is you eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat per meal. That means measuring your food. There are many online resources to help you create balanced meals and snacks with this ratio.

Anyway, it's great fuel for a WOD :)
  • Dmkolls
    Options

Okay - this is interesting. I might look into this too!
  • Dmkolls
    Options
    DMKolls, have you heard of the "zone" diet? It's not so much a 'diet', but really just a way of eating. It is the official advocated diet of crossfit HQ. I recently learned all about it during my crossfit certification, it actually is really good.

The idea is you eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat per meal. That means measuring your food. There are many online resources to help you create balanced meals and snacks with this ratio.

Anyway, it's great fuel for a WOD :)

I currently follow a paleo diet ( and am doing a Paleo challenge at my crossfit box). And the Macros they kinda recommend, which I follow, is 50% fat, 30% protein, 20 % carbs. I typically eat 1 fruit/day in the morning and after WOD at 5:30 PM, I'll have a sweet potato with my dinner. So, I keep my carbs roughly around 100-130 (80-100 NET).

I've heard of Zone, but all those block kinda confuse me.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Supposedly you can buy special "zone" measuring cups which help with the blocks.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings. I make an omelette with 3 eggs, 3 cups spinach, 2 slices turkey and 2 ounces sweet potato (precooked). The sweet potatoes I added recently because my body was feeling really fatigued and my hubby suggested adding back that type of carbs to my diet. I eat 3/4 before I go to my workout. When I get back I eat the rest along with my protein shake.

Eating before helps me feel better during my workouts and eat after especially with the shake helps me recover a lot quicker than without!!!!!

Good luck!!!!!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am also on the paleo diet, but it's possible to do both paleo and zone! You just wouldnt use "typical" carbs like bread and such.

and sorry, I misread the title of this post. I thought you were asking us to post our wod meals, not asking for after wod meals lol