Ammonia Smell

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
When I shower after my long run, I notice that I distinctly reek of ammonia. Is that normal?

Replies

• michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I know my running clothes smell funky , but I don't smell like ammonia in the shower:)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Grr, I typed a whole answer and then accidentally clicked on that stupid advertisement on the right. :angry:

Well you *could* see it as a warning sign for kidney problems. Not as likely but ...... More than likely it is your diet affecting your smell.

This is how my trainer explained it to me. Ammonia smell usually comes from a diet higher in proteins, lower in carbs. Your body goes to use the proteins for energy, and one of the waste products from utilizing amino acids is nitrogen. Too much nitrogen is not good so our body secretes it. More secretion=more ammonia=more smell.

And if I explained it poorly, I am sorry. I am a mental health professional by trade. I always say once your pain spills over to the outside, it is a time for the referral! :wink:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was thinking "ketonic" but I eat plenty of carbs. However, a lot of my calories come from fat. Maybe I need to drop the fats to bump up the carbs and/or fuel during my longer runs (for now).
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I too have noticed an amonia smell after my long runs, or a particularily heavy workout of other sorts. It does seem to be related to my cycles, and if I'm close to the start of menstruation the smell is more prominent than other times.