Food Scales

Options
Tanteee
Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
Does anyone have and use a food scale for weighing, calorie counting, fat content etc.,?

I'm thinking about getting one, as I cook mainly from scratch and guesstimate calories or try and find a food that fits from the food list on MFP but this doesn't always work. I'd like something thats not too expenive and not too big as we have limited space in our kitchen.

Are they useful or not?
Any good makes anyone can suggest?

Thanks.

Replies

• 1aurane
    1aurane Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use food scale's for weighing but only for home cooking/baking ...personally I don't want to use them for calorie's as I'm making lifestyle change's ...I don't want to weigh calorie's for the rest of my life ...just a thought ... :ohwell:
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    i do - it's the only way I can be sure of how much I'm eating as we too cook from scratch. Even with breakfast cereal I was way out guessing what 30g was.

I had to replace mine recently so just got a new Salter scale from Argos - think it was about a tenner. It's very slim so takes up no room and I just put whichever bowl I'm using on top, press the tare button to reset it to zero and start putting the ingredients in.

For working out the fat content I put the recipes into MFP item by item and then it's there for the next time I make it without having to fuss around working out every calorie (assuming you use the same quantities each time!).
  • Tanteee
    Options
    Ok thanks, I'll have a look at the Salter one.
  • fitnessn00bie
    fitnessn00bie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • Tanteee
    Options
    You're a man/woman after my own heart...£4 I'll look into that one too