Gym Intimidation....newbie

Options
Hello to all :) I have read up and I think this is the program for me. I have lost 20 pounds on my own through diet and cardio and I am ready to build my muscles now. I have had gym memberships in the past and have always used machines because that was all I knew. I have been watching all the videos posted in the group and I think I am almost ready to go. I went to the gym for the first time yesterday and well, I was so intimidated. I left feeling discouraged. So many people there that know what all the equipment is and how to use it. I have only watched videos so actually going in there and doing this really scares me. I guess it's because it's all new and I don't want to look clueless when I start (which I did last night.)

Anyway, I need help with identifying the different equipment. I don't know the difference between the weight bars or which bench to use and so forth. I probably sound stupid but I know there has to be someone out there who can relate.

Any advice will help....Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    What exactly "scares you" about it?

If you're that stressed about it hire a good personal trainer and tell them you want to lift. Get on You Tube, Google - do your homework. There's so much information out there. Between hiring a trainer and/or doing your own research you can be a pro at this stuff in no time.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I had no clue either - I just built up to it by watching folk while I did other stuff for a few days. Also, lots of gyms do free inductions - use that to find out
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yep, see if one of the staff members can give you an introduction to the weight room. How the weights go on the bars, what bench is for what, how to move the pins and bars in a power rack, and anything else you are unsure of. Also, like the others have said, watch videos, look at equipment diagrams, google, google, google.

It is okay to do things wrong. No one is going to take away your membership because you don't know what every piece of equipment is for. I've seen big muscle men using equipment backwards.

Here are some pictures of the primary equipment you will use for Strong lifts:

power rack/cage:
    legend-power-rack-th.jpg

Bench press bench:
    flat-bench.jpg

The plates will be labeled with their weight in lbs or kg. The standard Olympic bar (the long straight one) is 45 lbs or 20 kg. The squiggly bar is an ez-curl bar and shouldn't need to be used.

I use the power rack for squats and over head press. They have movable bar racks and safety bars. A squat rack is another option.

If you are ever in doubt of a piece of equipment, ask someone. It is better that you feel uncomfortable asking a question than hurting yourself because you tried to use something without knowing how it worked.

You will pick all of this up soon enough. hang in there.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Yep, see if one of the staff members can give you an introduction to the weight room. How the weights go on the bars, what bench is for what, how to move the pins and bars in a power rack, and anything else you are unsure of. Also, like the others have said, watch videos, look at equipment diagrams, google, google, google.

It is okay to do things wrong. No one is going to take away your membership because you don't know what every piece of equipment is for. I've seen big muscle men using equipment backwards.

Here are some pictures of the primary equipment you will use for Strong lifts:

power rack/cage:
    legend-power-rack-th.jpg

Bench press bench:
    flat-bench.jpg

The plates will be labeled with their weight in lbs or kg. The standard Olympic bar (the long straight one) is 45 lbs or 20 kg. The squiggly bar is an ez-curl bar and shouldn't need to be used.

I use the power rack for squats and over head press. They have movable bar racks and safety bars. A squat rack is another option.

If you are ever in doubt of a piece of equipment, ask someone. It is better that you feel uncomfortable asking a question than hurting yourself because you tried to use something without knowing how it worked.

You will pick all of this up soon enough. hang in there.

Thank you so much!! I have been watching videos all morning :)
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. No one will really judge you for being unfamiliar with equipment unless they have low self-esteem. Feel free to ask questions too. Guys like me would be happy to help. :) Just gotta watch out for people trying to coach you on your form when they have bed technique themselves.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I do feel a little self-conscious at my gym, since net even the guys I've seen do the lifts I am doing, and also because I'm close to 53 years old. However, I just do it anyway. Some probably think I don't know what I'm doing, but oh well.

Also wondering how you all go about moving benches and barbells and weights around without tiring yourself out before you even get started with a lift. Those benches are heavy!