Hello! New here!

Options
Hello everyone! I just found out that I'm pregnant!

I first started getting suspicious when my moods were swinging back and forth like a roller coaster and I wanted to eat everything in sight. Basically I got all the signs of TOM except for TOM itself, and three positive pregnancy tests later… here I am!

I haven't contacted my doctor yet as he is closed for random days of the week, but I have just registered with a midwife. According to my own calculations baby should be due sometime in early/mid-June. I'm super excited and very nervous and I have a plethora of questions and am in need of a lot of guidance. (this is my first) My appointment with the midwife isn’t until the 28th. I'll learn a lot more there, but seeing as how that’s not until next week sometime I'd sort of like to have some guidelines for me to use now.

As of yesterday I've switched to maintenance calories and started taking a prenatal vitamin.

I know they say not to try anything new as far as exercise goes. The thing is that I took up running only a couple months ago, and I was wondering if that is still considered something "new". Should I continue it? Cut back on it? I already run pretty slowly.
I'm so overwhelmed that I don't even know what questions to ask you guys... is there anything that I should know?

Thanks!

(I'm super excited) :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Replies

• kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    First off congrats! I'm on my second child right now!

You will get a various amount of opinions and answers on exercise during pregnancy and my personal philosophy and what I have gathers from Andrea Orbeck who specializes in prenatal and postnatal fitness is you want to maintain your current level of fitness as best you can. Now of course you may not feel like running if you have morning sickness and so you might take it easy but do what best fits you. If you were a healthy weight and already fit you can pretty much go forward with out a lot of problems You want to let your heart rate be your guide. New studies have shown that the 140 bmp limit for people who were active and fit before is a little low. They recommend the talk test if you can still carry on a conversation you are good to go. :) Make sure not to let your self get over heated and stay hydrated would be the two really big things you will wanna watch out for. Just listen to your body :) If running is a no go you can get just as much of a burn and probably more toning doing an Incline walk on a treadmill or elliptical with resistance :) I personally love Andrea Orbecks Pregnancy Sculpt Dvd :)

Fit Pregnancy Mag's website is also a great source of Information :)

Congrats again! :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Thank you! And congratulations to you too!

Thanks for the info! That's great!

I'm actually entered in a 5K on the 19th, so I'll probably run some spurts of it. I'm going with my sister too and we've both decided to walk most of it and only run for a few minutes at a time.

I will definitely check out the DVD! Thanks! :)
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    First off congrats! I'm on my second child right now!

You will get a various amount of opinions and answers on exercise during pregnancy and my personal philosophy and what I have gathers from Andrea Orbeck who specializes in prenatal and postnatal fitness is you want to maintain your current level of fitness as best you can. Now of course you may not feel like running if you have morning sickness and so you might take it easy but do what best fits you. If you were a healthy weight and already fit you can pretty much go forward with out a lot of problems You want to let your heart rate be your guide. New studies have shown that the 140 bmp limit for people who were active and fit before is a little low. They recommend the talk test if you can still carry on a conversation you are good to go. :) Make sure not to let your self get over heated and stay hydrated would be the two really big things you will wanna watch out for. Just listen to your body :) If running is a no go you can get just as much of a burn and probably more toning doing an Incline walk on a treadmill or elliptical with resistance :) I personally love Andrea Orbecks Pregnancy Sculpt Dvd :)

Fit Pregnancy Mag's website is also a great source of Information :)

Congrats again! :)

Congrats and THIS ^! I wish there was a like button....
  • toothpastechica
    Options
    Thank you! And congratulations to you too!

Thanks for the info! That's great!

I'm actually entered in a 5K on the 19th, so I'll probably run some spurts of it. I'm going with my sister too and we've both decided to walk most of it and only run for a few minutes at a time.

I will definitely check out the DVD! Thanks! :)

I had entered in 5k's in September and found out I was pregnant in mid august. I had TERRIBLE Morning Sickness and exhaustion the first trimester and the first one went ok, I was still in good enough shape to run a good portion of it. By the second one, I walked the whole thing (and managed to not puke thank goodness!). So definitely try but don't feel bad if you end up walking more then you would have otherwise, just listen to your body...any exercise is better then none!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Thanks! :) I haven't been sick yet... just a little nauseous every now and again, but I'm only at 5 weeks so we'll see how that goes. :)
  • toothpastechica
    Options
    Hopefully you don't get sick. I started MS at exactly 6weeks 1Day....and it just kept getting worse until 12 weeks. So ladies never get sick, some do. Hopefully either way it isn't too bad for you.