Week 3

Options
DragonflyF15
DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
How is everyone doing? Make it through the weekend and Octoberfests? I've been festive with apple ciders sparklers, but admit I miss a good amber beer. I think O'douls has an amber that I may pick up for watching the baseball games.

I have a migraine from hell this morning, not from a hangover, probably more weather related with this year's previous head injury. Kinda frustrating as the last few Mondays I have felt great going into my week since I hadn't had any drinks over the the weekend. Feeling a what the hell is up with this mood today. :grumble:

This weekend I was thinking of how much money I am saving by not drinking. Going out to eat is ALOT cheaper without ordering a bottle of wine, going out with friends is WAY cheaper drinking fruit sparkler, watching games at sports bars are SO much cheaper when I'm not buzzed and ordering more food than needed. I don't have to worry about driving home and checkpoints. A few years back, I got pulled over for speeding and asked if I had been drinking. I didn't lie and said that I had a few drinks earlier. While I wasn't blitzed, I knew that .08 is really only 2 drinks in a 4hr period for me and I had 3 drinks and would be over. First time offense and by the time you pay a lawyer, court fees, fines it's about $8000. On average, I would say I spent $50 a week on a good bottle of wine, 2-3 cocktails while out with friends. That's $200 a month. Add in a festival and buzzed impulse eating another $50 a month. So $3000 a year. And that's a conservative figure...I sometimes buy rounds for friends, or entertain with making batches of sangrias, mojitos and etc...Umm, I can think of many other things I would like to spend that money on.

Anyways, just another thing to think about other than just how alcohol effects the diet and our looks. It really is a habit that needs to be cut back and not worth having. It should be a once in awhile treat perhaps, not a regular habit just cause I'm at a concert, out with friends, bbqing, watching sports and etc. I'm finding new ways to have just as much fun or to relax and unwind at the end of the day and I'm really starting to like living like this more than the old ways. :heart:

Replies

• CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It was Thanksgiving in Canada this past weekend, which is usually not a big deal because it's just my husband and I, my parents and my Grandma and no one really makes a big deal out of it. But this year, I got a big surprise when I headed to my parents, because my uncle and cousin came in to town! Very excited and very fun, but DEFINITELY made me want to have a drink. It's definitely the thing to do in my family, have a few glasses of wine with dinner and after-dinner conversation.

Proud to say I got through it and did NOT have a drink at all :)

Pretty sure my whole family thinks I'm pregnant now though :S Oh well, they'll figure it out.
  • hayleyrue
    hayleyrue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sober 13 days and 3 without a cigarette;)
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    Proud of you CharRicho! Peer pressure and socializing seems to be the most difficult, but once you learn to handle it, it really does become easier to decide when you do or don't drink for yourself :) Happy Thanksgiving (a bit late)

Awesome Heleyrue! Adding on breaking the cigarette habit, you are a brave soul!

Here's to good health everyone! Live it up and take it one day at a time :)
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Here's to good health everyone! Live it up and take it one day at a time :)

Cheers to that!

Great work everyone!
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Day 20! Went to a house-warming party last night - I just drank soda and lime and it went great! My fiance appreciated me being the driver home, and I feel great today and will be extremely productive with my homework!

Congrats to everyone else doing so well - I think I'm going to make a habit of sober-stretches more often :)
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    That's great KyliAnne! If anything, I think it's taught me to be mindful and intune with myself. So many times just out of habit or social situation we automatically think drink, when really we don't have to and can say no or cut back. Went out to the winery with friends today and it was beautiful Autumn day, had a great time and enjoyed a couple of my black cherry Knudsen spritzers I brought, didn't over graze and best of all, I could come home to work on some home work and know I will be up bright eyed bushy tailed tomorrow morning for a bike ride :)

As you can see by my updated profile pic, I don't need to be drunk to try a pole move on a flag pole :laugh:

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

Day 51 of 60 day challenge for me.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    Great job everyone! I went to see a friend's band last weekend and didn't drink at all. :) Hubby & I steered clear of the alcohol and instead had sprite with a lemon wedge. We were very proud of ourselves and woke up feeling refreshed even though we stayed out pretty late. I'm beginning to see we don't need alcohol at all to have a good time!! ;)
  • DragonflyF15
    Options
    That's awesome star! We went out to a winery last weekend and we had just as good of a time on a beautiful Autumn day with friends. :)