Can I run a Sub 2 half in March?

prdavies1949
prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
Hi
I have another question for the experienced runners out there. a couple of days ago I ran my second half marathon in 2:06:17, according to many of the other runners this was a pretty hilly course. My first was last June which I ran in 2:27:58 also a quite hilly course. In the euphoria of finishing this one under my target time of 2:15 I have been on line and signed up for another half next March 2nd. This one claims to be a very flat course and good for PRs.

So At the moment I run 3 times a weeks between 20 and 30 miles, My Best 5k is 27:16 My 10k is 58:12 I am 64 years old.

I have gone from running 15min/miles to where I am now, in a few days short of a year. So even I am impressed (surprised) at my improvement. I realise that as I get to be a better runner it will get harder and harder to improve my times as I get closer to my limits. Is it realistic by March for me to even think about going sub 2h or am I setting myself up for a big disappointment by going a step too far, too soon?

Replies

• Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 350 Member
    Whoa! You've already got a great foundation in longer distance for only a year. I think that by March, you should be able to take seven minutes off (even though that sounds like a lot, you've got some time to get there). That's about half a minute less per mile and would require work with intervals and a few long runs at marathon pace (a bit slower than goal half marathon pace), but if the course is flatter, you will be faster. I don't think it's too soon. You've got five months!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    I'd say if you can lose 101 pounds, you can do pretty much anything. Good job!!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    Ok I will use myself as an example- my PB back in march for half marathon was 2hr 18mins. I ran my 3rd marathon two days ago and I ran in it 2hrs 2mins! Goal was to get under 2:10. It can be done- just takes some hard work and determination!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    I wouldn't call myself as experienced as others but yes I think you can sub a 2. Just make sure you have a strong training under your belt especially since it sounds like it will be a relatively flat course. I ran a half in May that was a fairly flat course and I subbed a 2 (1:57). This past weekend I ran a very hilly course at 2:03. Your times aren't far off of mine.. Good luck!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    So At the moment I run 3 times a weeks between 20 and 30 miles, My Best 5k is 27:16 My 10k is 58:12 I am 64 years old.

The weekly mileage is a tad low but you're in the ballpark for sure. See if you can gradually work up to having 30 as a floor. That will help you out a lot. The more endurance you can build up to the easier this will be for you. That's why the higher mileage and longer runs that Cheval13 mentioned are so important. I'd say you have plenty of time to get there by March. More easy miles, slowly extending your long run. Those are key elements.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member

The weekly mileage is a tad low but you're in the ballpark for sure. See if you can gradually work up to having 30 as a floor. That will help you out a lot. The more endurance you can build up to the easier this will be for you. That's why the higher mileage and longer runs that Cheval13 mentioned are so important. I'd say you have plenty of time to get there by March. More easy miles, slowly extending your long run. Those are key elements.

Yep, I think you can and this ^^ is how you do it. Additionally, build the long run to the 12 to 15 mile range and it will make a world of difference.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member

Yep, I think you can and this ^^ is how you do it. Additionally, build the long run to the 12 to 15 mile range and it will make a world of difference.

Excellent. As this is my goal for February and ^^ this is my plan. More miles and getting my long run up to 15 miles at least once and over 13 a few times.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    I'm also hoping for a sub 2:00 half in may! I did 2:06 last month (my first!).

I've already starting strenght training to improve my endurance.
    I'll be uping my mileage as I'm also running a 30K in march.

I think it's a great goal and totally doable!

Good luck :)
  • CarsonRuns

While strength training is a good thing, it won't improve your endurance. Running more will though, and since you plan to do that you'll be in good shape. :wink:
  • _Josee_

While strength training is a good thing, it won't improve your endurance. Running more will though, and since you plan to do that you'll be in good shape. :wink:

Really ?!? I'm doing an "endurance circuit". I have like 12-14 moves to do, 15x each, with no rest. I repeat the circuit 3 times. My personal trainer swears it will help me with endurance.... Hummmm I'm confused now!
  • CarsonRuns

Really ?!? I'm doing an "endurance circuit". I have like 12-14 moves to do, 15x each, with no rest. I repeat the circuit 3 times. My personal trainer swears it will help me with endurance.... Hummmm I'm confused now!

Circuit Training =/= Strength training.

While circuit training involves elements of strength, it is not strength training in the purest sense of the definition, which is lifting heavy things and putting them down and resting in between. What you are doing will help with endurance and strength. Your trainer is spot on. Now, if you trainer had you doing Stronglifts or some program like that and said that it would help your running endurance, then that just wouldn't be true.

Make sense?
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member

I agree with Waffle too. What really helped my half time was starting my training for a marathon. My weekly mileage increased quite a bit and I had accomplished some longer runs. When my training plan called for a 13-mile run during a "step back" week, I ran a half marathon in Santa Cruz and surprised myself with a PR much faster than I was expecting (just under 1:53). So, with more consistent mileage, I think under 2 is doable for you. Just increase gradually so you don't hurt yourself.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Definitely possible!

You could also incorporate 1 day per week of speed work drills - typically at a track.

There's a group near me that I joined that meets and does these, and it's really helped me increase my pace as well!

You can google "speed work" to get ideas, but typically you'll do various things such as 400-800 meter repeats at race pace followed by slow/recovery laps, ladders (example; 400 at race pace, 800 at race pace, 1200 at race pace, 1600 at race pace), etc.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Many thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I will start to up my mileage lets see what happens in March.
  • _Josee_
    Let us know :)
  • I am so impressed. First I see that you have lost over 100 pounds! Then you tell us that you are running a 2:06 HM at the age of 64! Know that is very impressive. I think that if you can lose that much weight, then you can do just about anything. Especially since you said that it is a flatter course. That will help you out a lot. I have faith in you!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    I am so impressed. First I see that you have lost over 100 pounds! Then you tell us that you are running a 2:06 HM at the age of 64! Know that is very impressive.

Oh my goodness, YES!!!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    yes, most definitely possible