postpartum help

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
This will be my first child.

How long was it before your energy returned, and you felt like moving again? How soon did you start trying to lose the pregnancy weight? Did that weight loss affect your milk supply? Did you find breastfeeding made it difficult for you to reach your goals? I'm looking forward to start my goals again, but have seen some say that they werent able to lose until they stopped breastfeeding. This scares me as I plan on feeding for at least a year or until the child decides to wean. Any other postpartum advice on fitness for a first time Mother?

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    How long was it before your energy returned, and you felt like moving again?
    - I felt really sorry for my vajayjay for three weeks. And I was exhausted. I promised myself I would wait until the 6 week checkup to get back at it (thus not imposing any expectations on myself too early) and when I got clearance, I felt like kicking butt again.

How soon did you start trying to lose the pregnancy weight?
    - It fell off naturally, most of it in the first few weeks postpartum. I worked hard to lose an extra 10 pounds (below pre-pregnancy) when my son was about 4 months old.

Did that weight loss affect your milk supply?
    - No, I still ate 2500 calories, all healthy food, good fats, lots of water.

Did you find breastfeeding made it difficult for you to reach your goals?
    - Nope. The only trouble it gave me was that I needed to time the feedings around my exercise schedule.

Any other postpartum advice on fitness for a first time Mother?
    - We are all different. Focus on snuggling your baby and sleeping. Nothing else matters.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    - I had a c-section, so it took a while. Within 2 weeks I felt a lot better.

- I gained 70, lost water weight and baby of course, about 30 really quickly. It took me until now (almost 11 months pp) to lose 20 more, I still have 20 to go. But it did some off faster about 4 months when I got more focused and started exercising regularly.

- My supply has always been pretty good. But a few times I tried to cut calories and it did decrease.

- I'm hoping, but not sure yet as I am still going. Let's just say the things that used to work aren't really working or very very slowly!!

- I agree with Pepper, just enjoy the time as much as possible with the baby. Also, since I didn't lose weight easily I focused on other things because I was getting frustrated. I did a mini in May and the biggest motivator was the tough mudder I did last month. I focused on that since weight loss wasn't coming easily.

Good luck :)
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hey mama!!! Pepper said it best...we are all different :) My best advice is to read this thread from a mama who is looking back on her first year:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1108196-if-i-could-do-it-all-over-again

The most important thing is spending time with your family! Trying your best to eat healthily and exercise is important, but it will be harder than it was before baby (and that's okay!). As mamas, we just do our best to take care of everyone, but taking care of ourselves is important too. I've had a hard time adjusting as I want to make sure everyone else has what they need, but often that means I don't eat as well as I should or get in any exercise. Lately I've just been taking stroller walks and that's amazing for all of us!

As for what to expect in regards to breastfeeding - I made a deal with myself that I would breastfeed as long as my baby wants to, even if it means I hang on to weight longer. I honestly don't believe the breastfeeding is causing me to hang on to the weight - I think it's a lack of sleep and lack of discipline when it comes to my food. I am more hungry while nursing and my calories are set to 2,500, but I often go over (when 2500 would really be enough). Some days/weeks I eat really healthily and get out for a walk most days and I feel on top of the world because my baby is sleeping and we are all happy! And then some weeks he's up all night and I don't get any exercise and eat like crap as a result, and I think, how am I going to ever lose this weight? I do notice that if I eat too few calories, my milk supply decreases, so I am not willing to compromise my supply and usually end up eating all the food! You will find a happy balance - just listen to your body!

I had a wonderful pregnancy and great delivery, but I had a 3rd degree tear which took a really long time to heal (this is very unusual - I think something like 3% of women tear like that). It took me until about 6 months pp to be able to exercise without pain, but I do still have pain sometimes. I had the energy and drive to do it much sooner, but my body was still healing, and that was more important. So, please listen to your body - just because you're cleared for exercise doesn't mean your body is ready! I know some moms who are itching to get back to it and are superstars right away because they recovered quickly, and some like me who go months without feeling "normal." Try your best not to pay a bit of attention as to what other moms are doing - we all have our own recovery times and paces and we all have different babies and home situations. Y'all will find what works for you :)

Starting off with such a great breastfeeding goal is wonderful! Check around your city and know where there are lactation consultants in the event you have ANY issues. We would not have made it this far (9 months) without help (insurance covered 100%, even co-pays), so get the help you need so you can make your goal! Good luck :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

I had an uneventful delivery, so I felt fairly energetic right off the bat but couldn't move very far for very long because breastfed newborns feed very, very often. This is not meant to scare you, but it feels like they're on there all day. The hospital where I delivered would not let you walk around with he baby in your arms (besides your own room, of course). They only let me put him in the little bassinet thingie to roll around. Not exactly exciting. I'd have gotten moving earlier when I got home, but it was hella hot and humid here until less than a month ago.

My initial postpartum drop (20 lbs) stopped at about two weeks postpartum. I gave it a few days to see if it would continue, then I started logging. I tried to pick a good calorie number to lose but keep my supply up. I lost initially, then stalled. Same thing happened wth a few calorie adjustments, so it took a good three and a half months to figure out what my calorie intake should be. However I'm still losing mega slowly, which is frustrating because I have a lot to lose.

Only if I cut my calories too low. Otherwise I had an oversupply to start that I had to control via block feeding (see kellymom.com) and have since had a good supply.

Honestly, yes. This is my second baby. My first was supplemented until three months, then completely formula-fed. With him I started at two months postpartum and did 1200 calories (which I don't recommend) and lost steadily. When he was 7 months old I started Couch to 5K, then I got into Spinning. By a year postpartum I'd lost about 80 lbs, so well past my pre-pregnancy weight, and that doesn't even count the initial 20 lbs that fell off immediately postpartum. Two reasons it was easier to lose then: (1) my body only had to worry about me, so I could play wth calories all I wanted (and, frankly, eat too little) without having to worry about starving my baby; and (2) I could leave my husband with some formula so I could go get in a workout. This time Spinning is off the table for a while because taking a class = 3-hour absence with no opportunity to pump to make up a feeding. I'm working on running.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider switching to formula for these reasons alone. Then I remembered how badly I wanted to breastfeed my older son and how much guilt I had over not succeeding in doing so. Additionally, I've walked barefoot in the grass on the other side and know what a PITA formula can be, nevermind the cost.

I'm just losing what I can and trying not to stress about it. It's easier said than done. I plan on BFing for a year or until he weans, whichever comes first. The good news is that when that happens, whatever weight I have left should come off pretty easily.

In the grand scheme, a year is nothing.

Again, I'm not trying to scare you. You may be one of those women for whom BFing makes the weight just melt off!

What FitMama said above about reading that thread is good. Otherwise, relax. Breastfeeding takes a LOT of patience and persistence. I learned it after I tried the first time, so I understood that the second time around. It's rarely a seamless process. And if you need to supplement or go to 100% formula, go easy on yourself. I've been there, and beating yourself up gets very ugly, very quickly. BFing does not make you a perfect mother or better than anyone else, and vice versa. Just do the best you can and go with the flow (no pun intended).

As for exercise, do what you can. Walk until you're cleared for exercise, then do what you can work in. It's not realistic to expect to be able to spend hours in the gym.

Eating is easier to control. Those first few weeks are hard, but once you have some semblance of a schedule, you can control that.

Best wishes on your upcoming delivery, and congratulations!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    This will be my first child.

How long was it before your energy returned, and you felt like moving again? How soon did you start trying to lose the pregnancy weight? Did that weight loss affect your milk supply? Did you find breastfeeding made it difficult for you to reach your goals? I'm looking forward to start my goals again, but have seen some say that they werent able to lose until they stopped breastfeeding. This scares me as I plan on feeding for at least a year or until the child decides to wean. Any other postpartum advice on fitness for a first time Mother?

1. My energy came and went in spurts, but I started to really feel like myself again after about 3 weeks. This was child number 3 for me with 6 years in between them all.

2. I didn't start an exercise program until I was cleared by my doctor 9 weeks post partum...I had a few blood pressure issues. I wasn't even allowed to walk up and down stairs until she was 6 weeks old.

3. My milk supply was not effected until I started running...I was not a part of this great resource at that point and I wasn't eating back my exercise calories to make up for it, so production dropped. Making some dietary changes and some help from here brought it back up.

4. I agree with Pepper...the only issue I had was scheduling.

5. Other advice - WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT no one size fits all or even most. Take your time, listen to your body. With my first one I wish someone had told me about the hormone release the first few times my newborn latched on. It can cause some uncomfortable cramping that I wasn't prepared for. I recommend checking out local breastfeeding groups or resources in your area and joining. It REALLY helps, and continue to check in here..this group is super supportive and even though I don't post alot, I am often bolstered just by reading some of the other posts here.

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    About 2 weeks for energy to return with first baby and more like 8 days with second. If you pln to breastfeed I would suggest that you let baby nurse as often as he/she wants the first month to establish a good supply. Be your babies pacifier at least the first month. Weight loss can affect milk supply so I suggest wait until you start offering solids (usually around 6 months ) before you make an effort to lose any weight. Before that, eat when you are hungry just make wise food choices. With both babies all but 10-15 pounds came right off but those 10-15 pounds were hard to get off.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the great advice and your experiences