Improv!

Options
impromark
impromark Posts: 119 Member
Love it or hate it, it's here to stay. Any improvisors about?

I perform with two groups in Calgary, Alberta: one more amateur and one more professional.

My own weight loss journey is equal parts personal and professional; for the latter, as has already been noted here I also find that the fitter people get more gigs. I do lots of shows for corporate clients, so being able to look like a professional (versus a chubby guy with too-tight T-shirt and baggy jeans) goes a long way to building a trust and rapport (and thus success) with a client.

And of course, in my work you never know if you're playing Slave Leia or Jabba the Hutt from week to week, and I've found already that being fitter has allowed me more flexibility in playing anything on stage. In improv I can make anyone believe I'm anything in the context of the show, but being fitter has allowed me to keep up with the choices made on stage and to commit much easier than I would if I were sweating or huffing my way through a show, which I've thankfully stopped. Losing the second chin makes for much better promo shots, too. :) Naturally, FEELING fit is more important than a number on a scale, and darned if being leaner and more muscular doesn't feel great while acting!

I set a goal weight at the beginning of the year and in April I signed up with MFP; I've lost a good 30 pounds with some 15 to go, though there have been a couple plateaus along the way. I'm pigheaded enough to stick with it, and it's been a great tool for keeping track of intake and workouts. The interesting part begins now, though - with the holiday season comes many gigs for Christmas parties and end-of-year retreats, and with them comes wonderful catered dinners and delicious desserts. An app on my phone can't always win against a strawberry cheesecake at a buffet table in the room - it's time to build willpower as well as pigheadedness for the end of year!

Mark