Apparently I need to eat

Options
So yesterday was a big wake up call for me. I fainted at the store, fell over the end of the till (hitting my belly and hip quite hard) and landed on the ground. After going to the hospital to get checked out, Baby has a heart beat and all they can figure is my bloodsugar was too low.

Its been a struggle to eat...even since morning sickness has been mostly gone for 3 weeks...I just have 0 appetite and about a trillion food aversions. I have been trying to track to try and make sure I get ENOUGH calories every day (A first in my life....I never had a problem eating too much before).

I guess I am going to need to try harder and be more diligent about tracking. They gave me a monitor so I can track my blood sugar as well, but said that if I am eating enough I should only have to track for a few days to make sure things are lining up.

Just thought I would share one of the reasons it important to be making sure to eat enough....it was a pretty scary day for me yesterday.

Replies

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    How scary! So glad you are both ok!!! Blood volume doubles when you get into your second trimester, dropping your blood pressure, which doesn’t help with the whole feeling faint thing as well. How far along are you?

I can offer one small piece of advice in this area to anyone needing it. I too had issues eating in the beginning with food aversions and nausea. I quickly threw my macros out the window and ate whatever I could get down and keep down without being totally repulsed. If that meant all I ate was bread or crackers for the day, so be it. I pretty much survived off of carbs the first 20 weeks and started being able to somewhat normally (meat and veggies) again after that. I tried to get protein wherever I could (yogurt, cheese, peanuts, whey powder, etc.) but I wasn't going to beat myself up if all I could handle was a bowl of cereal or even crappy fast food fries. Just find what you can stand and eat it just for calorie sakes.....it may surprise you that what disgusts you today isn’t so bad tomorrow so try, try again. Good luck!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I would force myself to eat a little of whatever wasn't disgusting, and then I would find I felt more like eating normal food once I had done that.

I'm so sorry you had that scary experience!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Similar events happen to me when pregnant too. I always keep a big bar of fruit and nut chocolate for when I feel shaky or faint. My advice would be to make sure you're taking a good prenatal multi-vitamin and eat whatever you fancy for a while. I've not totally eaten healthily or kept within my calorie limit, but am still, at 38 weeks, only 3 to 5lb above my weight at 4 weeks. When you're feeling more confident with your appetite then work on making your diet healthier. Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon!
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Oh no! Sorry to hear about your fall. That's a really scary experience. I used to faint a lot in high school and college when I was doing extreme dieting to lose weight. I agree with what everyone else said. Try to find something you can keep down and then just eat enough of it until you find something else you can tolerate.

I'm only 5 weeks along, but yesterday was the first day I experienced nausea. I just lied down and it went away after awhile.

Hope you are feeling better today. Take it easy and get some rest...:flowerforyou:
  • BaysiderNY
    BaysiderNY Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That happened to me in both my pregnancies. I fainted and fell on the floor. My advice to you is to eat good and eat lots of protein. Baby needs it and you need it to stay healthy. Take your prenatal vitamins on time too.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what do you think about carrying a baggie filled with nuts and dried fruit? Just to give you a little pick me up?
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I lived off of peanut butter crackers and sprite for a while. PB is protein, sprite has sugar, crackers were carbs I would tolerate. If that's all I could eat, then that's all I ate for 3 weeks. After that though I was so sick of the same foods I started eating something else.

Best of Luck.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I am so glad that everything is okay!
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Glad you and the baby are ok! That's so frightening... I cant stand the smell of chicken and so many other things lately and have 0 appetite now in the second trimester. The only thing I can seem to stomach well, without getting sick, are pretzels and cheese sticks.

Maybe try carrying pretzels and peanutbutter as another poster suggested?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    are you not eating because you are still sick? I have hyperemesis so bad when I'm pregnant I lose weight, and end up with PICC lines and feeding tubes. Literally cannot keep food or water down. If the nausea is severe and that's what is hurting your appetite, there are things you can ask your Dr for if the traditional crackers and soda don't work.
  • LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ugg. I feel you, and I'm glad you're okay! I just hit my second trimester (still waiting for all of the nausea and fatigue to go away....fingers crossed) and my doctor finally put me on Zofran(?) for nausea. I'd been fighting it off for a while, not wanting to take any kind of meds while preggo, but she finally convinced me that not eating/not gaining weight could be just as detrimental. I'm still only taking them when necessary, but it sure is nice to get a meal down and keep it down! Maybe its something you could look into. I know before that I was living off of rice and milk.....and oddly enough, fried chicken. Strange, I know, especially since any other kind of chicken made me green. .
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nausea still comes and goes, but mostly just no appetite for anything...aversions are crazy! Dr. mentioned looking up tips for hypoglycemia which I had never heard of being a "pregnancy issue" but a lady I work with says she was hypoglycemic during both her pregnancies and not any other time...so yeah snacking every couple hours, trying to get more protein, cutting back "fast sugars" like carbs and sweets making sure I eat enough calories during the day. My sister has been hypoglycemic since her teens and suggested getting some protein shakes since they are high calorie high protein and many have added iron and are easy to get down when you don't really want to eat.