Training - off the board

Spudnut72
Spudnut72 Posts: 33 Member
Due to some travel for work and a lack of swell, I have been off the board for a couple of weeks and have been thinking about my off the board training. I base my training around a few good bike rides and two to three sessions paddling my surfski, as well as trying to fit in a couple of Kettlebell sessions, maybe a run or swim session, time permitting.
One thing I also do three or four days per week is a quick mini workout before lunch consisting of 2 x 40 sit-ups and 2 x 10 surf 'pops'.
Keen to hear from others and what they do off the board.

Replies

• I do trail running 3-4 times a week and try to mountain bike a couple days a week. I also ride my longboard skateboard to work everyday, so it gives me a little bit of a surf specific workout. I try to do as much core work as I can, but that isn't the fun stuff.
  • Spudnut72
    Spudnut72 Posts: 33 Member
    I have been paddling outrigger canoes and surfskis 3-4 times a week for the last few months. I have noticed that my surf time in the water is getting longer and my surf paddle strength and speed has increased dramatically since doing this. Dusted off the magic 6'6" fish that I haven't ridden in a few years and this has now become my 'go-to' board. The Malibu is staying at home and I am having the best surfs in years. The secret - fitness off the water equates to more time in the water, especially for those of us not lucky enough to live next to the beach.