Getting my sleeve in April!!

Options
trinity9058
trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
I am very excited. I've been waffling about getting any kind of weight loss surgery for ten years and now I look back and think "geez, I could have started my life years ago if I'd just done it then." No worries, I am now on my way and all I have is a six month countdown. Any tips to get ready?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Follow the doctor's preop instructions exactly. If you are any kind of a caffene drinker, start weaning yourself off. Caffene irritates the lining of the stomach, which is why you need to eliminate it before the surgery. If you wean off you have no withdrawl. You can go back to drinking it again about 6 months post op. Don't stress about the liquid diet before the surgery. It's so protien packed that it's really a non-event. I was so sure I wouldn't be able to do it and was really surprised at how easy it was. Make sure you have a good scale and a good food scale. I'm 2+ years out and still weigh and measure my food. It's really hard to eyeball an exact portion.

But most important, understand the surgery is just a tool. This is a lifestyle change and if you don't make this a forever change, you will gain your weight back. You will lose weight right after surgery without even trying. But once you get to a certain point out from surgery, it's not automatic anymore. If you are going to continue to lose and keep it off, it will be through diet and exercise.

I still have about 75 pounds to go to my "ideal" weight, and it's really inconsistent and slow right now, but I still believe this surgery was the very best thing I have ever done for myself. Good luck on your journey. Remember, you may hear people say you took the easy way out. Believe me, this isn't easy. But it is so worth it in every way.
  • trinity9058
    Options
    Follow the doctor's preop instructions exactly. If you are any kind of a caffene drinker, start weaning yourself off. Caffene irritates the lining of the stomach, which is why you need to eliminate it before the surgery. If you wean off you have no withdrawl. You can go back to drinking it again about 6 months post op. Don't stress about the liquid diet before the surgery. It's so protien packed that it's really a non-event. I was so sure I wouldn't be able to do it and was really surprised at how easy it was. Make sure you have a good scale and a good food scale. I'm 2+ years out and still weigh and measure my food. It's really hard to eyeball an exact portion.

But most important, understand the surgery is just a tool. This is a lifestyle change and if you don't make this a forever change, you will gain your weight back. You will lose weight right after surgery without even trying. But once you get to a certain point out from surgery, it's not automatic anymore. If you are going to continue to lose and keep it off, it will be through diet and exercise.

I still have about 75 pounds to go to my "ideal" weight, and it's really inconsistent and slow right now, but I still believe this surgery was the very best thing I have ever done for myself. Good luck on your journey. Remember, you may hear people say you took the easy way out. Believe me, this isn't easy. But it is so worth it in every way.

Thanks for the tips. I am really looking forward to it and I have already cut out the caffeine (because I got mine from soda). I already tell people that surgery isn't an easy way out, it's just a different way. The liquid diet does make me nervous but I'm positive I can do it. Thanks again!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull has it almost nailed. Anything beyond what she said is just individualized.

First, never look back at the past with "If only's." It took until now for you to be ready. Embrace it and stride forward for a better life now.

Next, really work at what the nutritionist tells you about using smaller plates, eating slowly and chewing, chewing, chewing. The skills you learn in the next six months will help you so much in the six months after your surgery, and pawoodhull can probably tell you well beyond that point. Start walking and light exercise now, it will help your recovery and again give you a head start.

The surgery may be in six months, but set your mind to your new life starting right now.

Congratulations on making the choice that is right for you, and best wishes for the life you deserve!
  • bspence1985
    Options
    I will be getting mine in January or February I go for the Pysch Eval on Tuesday. If I pass I am one step closer to the surgery. I can't wait to have it so that all the hard work I am putting in now will actually amount to something.
  • trinity9058
    Options
    pawoodhull has it almost nailed. Anything beyond what she said is just individualized.

First, never look back at the past with "If only's." It took until now for you to be ready. Embrace it and stride forward for a better life now.

Next, really work at what the nutritionist tells you about using smaller plates, eating slowly and chewing, chewing, chewing. The skills you learn in the next six months will help you so much in the six months after your surgery, and pawoodhull can probably tell you well beyond that point. Start walking and light exercise now, it will help your recovery and again give you a head start.

The surgery may be in six months, but set your mind to your new life starting right now.

Congratulations on making the choice that is right for you, and best wishes for the life you deserve!

I exercise formally 5 days a week right now, will that help me with the healing process?
  • trinity9058
    Options
    I will be getting mine in January or February I go for the Pysch Eval on Tuesday. If I pass I am one step closer to the surgery. I can't wait to have it so that all the hard work I am putting in now will actually amount to something.

Congratulations!
  • trinity9058
    Options
    I do have to lose about 15 pounds between now and then and I'm a little nervous about that because for the past 6 months I have not been able to get lower than 285 no matter what I do. That is probably the part that I'm worried about the most before surgery. After surgery, I'm terrified of being a normal size. I'm been overweight since I was 16 and I don't even remember how to be a skinny, healthy person. I have worked for years to build my self confidence up so that I could deal with the downfalls of being obese so I'm afraid that I'll lose all of that hard work. Did any of you deal with this?