running and breastfeeding?

Options
laurab1217
laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
Are there any other runners who are breastfeeding? My baby is 5 months old and I have been back into it since about 5 weeks postpartum (very slowly). I am just now feeling like my old running self, except for the fullness on top! My question is, has anyone been able to do half marathons or race/train competitively and still maintain their milk supply? So far I am doing fine as long as I eat a ton. Right now I am only running 15-20 miles a week, but I would like to slowly increase that and possibly do a half marathon. I will probably start out by doing some speed workouts and racing some shorter distances. If anyone has trained like that while breastfeeding, I would love some advice! Also, how much did you have to eat? I have been eating as much as 3,000 calories, especially on the days that I am very active, like running and doing conditioning. It seems like a lot, but I am always hungry and still maintaining and my baby has only just started on solids so is only eating them once a day.

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Can I ask you what sports bra you recommend? Mine are not supportive enough!

My baby will be 5 months next week, but he's not yet old enough for the jogging stroller :( I need to get out there, though!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have done quite a bit of running, maybe not quite as serious as you though. My son is almost 11 months old. I did a mini last May which I did not train for at all and took me 3 hours! But after that I got more serious about it. I have done several 5ks and did a tough mudder in September. While training for that I did several 8 mile runs but would often run about 5-6 and I have not had any problems with my supply. I would just eat back most of what I burnt so it depended on the day. Some days I'm sure I was around 3000, but I have been very slowly losing.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    Laurab1217, I would also love to know which specific sports bra you or others would recommend...
    I tried out running the other day.
    Running with 36B boobs is A LOT different than running with 38 DD ones...
  • heathermora11
    heathermora11 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am hoping someone with some experience chimes in, because I would love to know how to do it right also! Right now my daughter is 12 weeks old (I also have a 2.5 year old) and we are running between 13-19 miles a week, mostly pushing the double stroller, but some solo faster stuff too. I only run between 9.5 (solo) and 11.5 (stroller) min/mile, so I am no speed demon, that is for sure! I am signed up for a 1/2 marathon at the end of December; LO will be 5 months old. I am up to just 6 miles on my long runs at this point. I had one week (10 weeks old?) where I don't think I ate enough and I dropped 3 lbs in one week. I noticed my milk supply go down and it was scary. But now I think I everything is back to normal, nursing is going well again. I will follow this post to see if anyone else has "been there, done that!" Love to hear people's tips and tricks! I learned the not so comfortable way that it is important to nurse/pump right before the run, hehe!
  • heathermora11
    Options
    I did a 10k today! Brought my pump with me and pumped in my car right before the race, under my nursing cover! Lol! Racing was really fun. I'm not a super fast runner, but I ran 8:30 pace for the 6 miles and that was a PR for me. I think I'm coming back stronger after baby than before! Or I've been more consistent with my running lately :) How are you ladies doing?
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am wondering about the sports bra as well....it is hard to justify buying really good expensive ones when I definitely won't be able to wear them when I stop breastfeeding...I have never had this problem before (huge difference between 32B where I could get away with wearing a yoga top and 32d's)....I have found that doubling up on sports bras helps....like wearing another sports bra under a sports bra top/tank. And yes, pumping right before...it gets so uncomfortable if I don't. Heather, that is awesome that you did a 10k and a PR at that! I have heard of other women who say they are faster after having kids than before. Right now my longest run is about 6 miles as well....I think I will keep upping my mileage slowly since I haven't noticed my supply drop yet.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I did a 10k today! Brought my pump with me and pumped in my car right before the race, under my nursing cover! Lol! Racing was really fun. I'm not a super fast runner, but I ran 8:30 pace for the 6 miles and that was a PR for me. I think I'm coming back stronger after baby than before! Or I've been more consistent with my running lately :) How are you ladies doing?

That's an awesome pace! I haven't gone much over 10 minute mile, was just getting my 5ks under 30. But I rarely have the chance to run anymore, especially with it getting dark so early and work :(
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here- my baby girl is 3 weeks old and I can't wait to get back into running!

I was training for my first half when I found out we were expecting and wasn't able to run too much while pregnant (terrible morning sickness at the beginning and terrible contractions at the end- so glad baby is here! lol..)

Hoping to get back into things as soon as I can! Right now I am feeling like jello :)

I would also love to hear sports bra recommendations! Also, thinking about getting the Joovy running stroller for the spring when she's ready- anyone have it?
  • heathermora11
    Options
    On the sports bra question: I'm having decent results with the most supportive version of the champion bra, which I got from a sports store a while ago I think. I have other champion bras from target and costco I think, and they are okay, but I definitely prefer the "stronger" one :)

Today was my first day running with the double in the rain! Oops! Baby stayed totally dry, but my toddlers feet and legs got pretty soaked. The hoods on the BOB are pretty awesome. But I gotta get the weather shield pronto!

A good report is that it seems to be getting easier and easier. At 12 weeks the feeding/pumping immediately before running doesn't seem quite as important. Things seem to be settling/adjusting. Got in 24 miles this week with an 8 mile long run. Feeling pretty stoked about it! Just so thankful for everyday that running actually happens... It's quite the process these days!
  • heathermora11
    Options
    just an update... just finished a 10 mile run! it was tough, but I feel really excited to have completed the distance, and I am happy with my pace of 9:06 min/mile, the girls stayed home with Dad for this one. I can do the 4-6 mile runs with the double BOB, but Saturdays are "mommy alone time long run day" :)
  • MtMcConnel
    MtMcConnel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 mo old and am starting to get back into running too. My training hasn't been very intense because I've been really irregular with sleep issues, baby/family getting colds, etc. So I can't really answer the milk supply/calorie intake/training intensity question.

I have some suggestions regarding sports bras, but unfortunately none are very cheap or cute looking. I was 34DD pre-pregnancy and now am 34FF, so I have tried a TON of different options - many that are marketed for large chests just aren't supportive enough. Pumping or nursing right before a run is helpful. If you get chafing (ouch!), you can use a sports skin lube or I rub stick deodorant around my rib cage/lower chest area before putting on the bra and it helps. Here are some sports bras that I really like. I didn't want to spend so much money on something that I wouldn't fit into in a year, but I figured it was the only way I could get back into running. I have had good luck buying from Bare Necessities online. Most stores don't carry these brands or very large sizes. I ordered several different types and just returned the ones that didn't work as well. Good luck.

Enell - takes a while to put on, but this has great support
    http://www.barenecessities.com/enell-maximum-control-wire-free-sports-bra-100-00-4_product.htm?pf_id=Enell100004&search=&manual_cm_sp=SlotLocation-_-R2C4-_-Enell100004

Freya - comfortable, has good support, but sort of gives you Madonna cone boob look
    http://www.barenecessities.com/freya-underwire-sports-bra-4392_product.htm?pf_id=Freya4392&search=34FF&manual_cm_sp=SlotLocation-_-R3C3-_-Freya4392

Glamorise Maximum Support - This has pretty good support too, easy on/off, but I usually wear 2 bras at once with this one
    http://www.barenecessities.com/glamorise-adjustable-motion-wire-free-maximum-control-sports-bra-1166_product.htm?pf_id=Glamorise1166&search=&manual_cm_sp=SlotLocation-_-R1C1-_-Glamorise1166
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have been running a bit since September, up to about 5K at a time. I'm more of a triathlete than a runner. So far I haven"t had any supply issues, but then again, I am just now starting to try to lose the baby weight. son is 14,5 weeks.

as for bras, moving comfort fiona is awesome. $$, but worth the money, I think. I bought the fionas when I was 3 months preggo and needed a bigger bra, so I didn't just buy it for while I was nursing. my breasts are actually starting to shrink a bit, which is nice. fwiw, pre pregnancy, I was 38D, went up to 38DDD by the end of pregnancy, first 2 months post partum, now I am back down to 38DD
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I found this article on fitbottomedgirls about t a great sports bra for bustier woman! Thought it might help!
    http://fitbottomedgirls.com/2012/12/just-how-sturdy-are-sturdy-girl-sports-bras-and-capris-a-review/
  • heathermora11
    Options
    I ran a 5K this morning! it was my second one post-partum; baby girl is 4 months old :) I ran 23:55 for the 3.1 miles, which is about 7:30 min/mile. the race started at 8am, so I woke up, pumped (because I wasn't sure when baby girl would wake up so I thought it would be easier to just have a bottle ready to go, so I could get dressed and such, and also sometimes it takes her two feedings in the morning to totally drain me and I didn't feel like squeezing too full boobs into a sports bra!) so she ate around 6:30am, then the whole fam came to the race. She did great, my husband kept her in the Ergo and our toddler got to run around. After the race I could tell she was hungry, but we were only 15 minutes from home, so we made it back in time for her next feeding, didnt even have to nurse in the car (not my fave!) Everything went great! Well, I didn't meet my goal time of going under 23:30, but that's okay. It was still a minute and 10 seconds faster than the 5K I did about 2 months ago. So I am improving and I guess that is a lot to be thankful for, right? :) How is everyone else doing?
  • ybodwen
    Options
    WOW Heather that's really impressive! Great time and happy for you that it worked out!

We had some decent weather last week so I got out for 3 runs and did week 2 of C25k- it felt so good to get out and run again! It felt like the right thing to start this way too since I wasn't able to keep running throughout my pregnancy, so I gotta start where I'm at. Anyway no such luck this week with the weather but we are getting a free treadmill from a friend who uses it as a clothing rack so I'm just waiting till hubby figures out the logistics of actually getting it here- hopefully soon!

My plan is to start by working back up to a 5k and hopefully be ready to start training for my first half (again- last time I got pregnant in the middle! :) by the time the weather is nice enough and baby is big enough for a jogging stroller!
  • heathermora11
    Options
    eek!!! i signed up for a MARATHON today!!! my first one! it isn't until June 2014 (Rock and Roll San Diego) so I have quite a bit of time to work up to it... but I am so excited! Baby #2 will be 10 months old when the race rolls around. I specifically picked one in my hometown so that my Mom can help watch the two girls, and then my husband can be there to help me! I am excited and scared all at the same time :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    WOW Heather that's really impressive! Great time and happy for you that it worked out!

We had some decent weather last week so I got out for 3 runs and did week 2 of C25k- it felt so good to get out and run again! It felt like the right thing to start this way too since I wasn't able to keep running throughout my pregnancy, so I gotta start where I'm at. Anyway no such luck this week with the weather but we are getting a free treadmill from a friend who uses it as a clothing rack so I'm just waiting till hubby figures out the logistics of actually getting it here- hopefully soon!

My plan is to start by working back up to a 5k and hopefully be ready to start training for my first half (again- last time I got pregnant in the middle! :) by the time the weather is nice enough and baby is big enough for a jogging stroller!

A couple of weeks ago I thought I could do week 4 of C25K (because prior to pregnancy I could run 3-5 miles without a problem, though I was unable to continue running during pregnancy), and holy hell it was awful! I think I need to start earlier, but week 1 seems too easy. I would hate to have another discouraging run, though, so I think I might just start there and move forward to week 2 if it's too easy. However I am having issues finding consistent times to run. Early in the morning is out unless I get up at 5 (no way), or I can go at 7:30-8PM after the baby is in bed. Either way I'm running in the dark, which I love (anonymity, focus on form instead of ground covered/speed) and hate (safety). I run in an uncomfortable reflective vest but would rather be slightly inconvenienced than hit by a car. Running during the day suuuuuuucks because I hate the jogging stroller. I need to focus on my running, not the very temporary skill of running with a jogging stroller, and I don't like treadmills.

ETA that a Champion sports bra that I bought probably a year and a half ago at Costco worked out really well for me. It just holds those babies close to my chest for little up/down movement. They were very affordable, too (I think $20 for a pair of bras). I just had to make sure I nursed right beforehand.

EATA the link to the sports bra: http://m.costco.com/Champion-Ladies'-Reversible-Sports-Bra-2-Pack---Black-%26-White.product.100089266.html
  • heathermora11
    Options
    However I am having issues finding consistent times to run. Running during the day suuuuuuucks because I hate the jogging stroller. I need to focus on my running, not the very temporary skill of running with a jogging stroller, and I don't like treadmills.

@RBXChas: way to get back out there! Sorry that first run was discouraging... I bet a lot of us can sympathize! I don't know if this will be at all an encouragement, but in regards to the jogging stroller thing, I thought I would share my experience. I run 6 days a week, and 5 of those days are pushing the double jogger. On Saturdays I get to run by myself. I too have the thought "I'm just getting good at pushing a stroller. Ugg" BUT today I did my solo run and am THRILLED at the improvement I am making. Last year, before I got pregnant, I ran a 1/2 marathon at 8:53 pace. Today, after not running for 7 months of pregnancy, and only being back at it for about 4 months, I ran 12 miles at 8:41 pace! So I am not only back to where I was before I got pregnant - I am getting faster! So don't be discouraged about the stroller!!! Yes, it is slower on average, but when you get to a race or just a solo run, you will notice that you are not just improving in you stroller skills, you are a stronger, faster runner overall! Keep it up! And I LOVE the plan of starting back at week 1. I went back to zero, and built up slowly. Much more encouraging that way :) Keep us posted!
  • heathermora11
    Options
    I ran a half marathon this morning! It was my third half marathon, but first one since baby #2 was born five months ago, and first one while still nursing a baby! My time was 1:44:48 or 8 min/mile. Babies did great with my husband; I nursed about 15 minutes before the race began, left a bottle of expressed milk just in case (she drank just an ounce of it) then nursed once we got home again. I was sooooooo happy with my time, and so thankful for my family's support, both in training and racing. Wahoo!
  • ybodwen
    Options
    That is awesome!! Do you think having a baby waiting for you on the other side motivated you to speed up? ;) sounds like you were super organized about it and did great! I hope to be telling a similar story in a few months! For now slowly, steadily working back up to 5k- baby will be 3 months next week!

FYI I took advantage of Athleta's sale and bought myself a Moving Comfort sports bra that adjusts in the front- perfect for nursing! Now I'm looking for running shirts that are flattering on my jelly belly...