The Wii is dead.....

Options
Gilbrod
Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
It's official. The Wii is no longer being produced. It's a sad day for me, but here's an idea. Go out and buy a new one and keep it sealed in your basement, attic, or secret hiding place. It'll be a gold mine in ten years. Go see how much a unopened SNES is selling for on ebay. To date, it has sold 104+ million unites. More than the Xbox 360 and PS3. It had lots of great games. My favories were.... Zelda TP, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Metroid Trilogy, Wii Sports and Resort, Wario WareXenoblade Chronicles, Zak and Wiki, Smash Bros, Mario Galaxies, New Super Mario Bros, Fire Emblem, Muramasa Demon Blade, Mad World (black and white, but crazy as hell), Punch Out, Sin and Punishment, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes 1 and 2, House of the Dead (all four of em) and much more. I hope the Wii U starts getting better. Am I one of the few that enjoyed playing the Wii? I really wished they had a good online structure. I would've paid to play people online in Smash Bros and other games. Good memories.

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Haven't played it in years since I played Zelda and got carpal tunnel...True Story.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I wasn't impressed by the Wii, I love my WiiU though, god that thing is amazing!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Zelda and shooting games. I love to play my house of the dead overkill. THe kids like it too. I want a WiiU but I'm waiting for the price to come down
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Wii was an underrated console that had some amazing titles, even if most were 1st party.

- Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
    - Boom Blox and Boom Blox Bash Party
    - Dead Space: Extraction
    - Donkey Kong Country Returns
    - Elebits
    - Excitebots: Trick Racing
    - Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    - Guilty Party
    - Ju-On: The Grudge
    - Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
    - Muramasa: The Demon Blade
    - Punch Out!
    - Red Steel 2
    - Mario Kart Wii
    - Okami
    - Monster Hunter Tri
    - Xenoblade Chronicles
    - The Last Story
    - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    - Zelda: Twilight Princess
    - Metroid Prime Trilogy
    - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    - Rayman Origins
    - Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
    - Trauma Team
    - Little King's Story
    - Sonic Colors
    - Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
    - Deadly Creatures

For a system ragged on for it's lack of games, it's had a pretty good lifespan as far as quality games, even if most weren't marketed well and/or didn't sell well.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Mine still gets plenty of dance game play (JD, BEP/MJ/HH experiences, etc.). Recently seen at lot of Mario Kart and Sonic Racing use. I still RedBox stuff every month or so. I also like to buy games dirt cheap used and wait a long time to first play them; gives me the faux-feeling of a brand new game.
    I'm the direct opposite of a bleeding edge gamer. I didn't buy my Wii until 3-4 years after release and got it new dirt cheap, plus extra controllers and a Balance Board for $68 new (BF deal). Should the hardware die, used ones have been readily available for sub-$100 for years (bought my 81 y.o. Mom one a couple years ago just for Wii Sport Bowling).
    Waiting patiently for XBox One release to drive down 360 prices, I'll buy a used one with Kinect and a few used games.

*ETA: I still have a dozen or so unplayed games (e.g. Pikmin 2) that'll keep the system fresh for me for a while. I'm SOO underwhelmed by the Wii U that I might not get one of those until the follow-up system is released. I'm frugally-patient with my gaming.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Dammit and I was going to buy a used one for the wii fit stuff. I don't want to buy something I can't ever replace if it breaks :(
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Brraanndi...If you buy a used one, you can always buy that a warranty for like $5-10 extra. Worry free. I am also sure Nintendo keeps refurbished ones around.
    Genem30... I never did play a few of the games you mentioned. Kings Story, Excite Bots, Bloom Blox, Red Steel, Deadly Creatures, and Silent Hill. I'll have to look into them being that the games will hopefully be super cheap. Speaking of which, let's see what I can find dirt cheap.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've had one since release and haven't used it in literally years. I bought all of about 4 games, and since then not a thing has hooked my interest. It was disappointing, imo.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    MY Wii is dead. Literally. Damn thing won't play discs, so we upgraded to a WiiU.

Not sure if I'd buy one for collections sake. My husband won't give away our broken one nor send it anywhere to be fixed, so...
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i have/had a Wii, but i also have kids, follow that one on through to the end. for me the only reason for buying the Wii was the next Metroid, and i was thoughly dissapointed in that incarnation. ever since it lost its battle with gravity and wont play Wii games anymore, i havnt found the desire (or cash) to get it fixed.

though some of the other uses for the Wii have been more fun, like the head tracking, and virtual whiteboard programs. that lets my son draw on the walls whenever he wants.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Haven't played it in years since I played Zelda and got carpal tunnel...True Story.

Are you sure it's from Zelda...? :wink:

I suppose I'm a little sad to here. Granted, I hadn't bought a game for the Wii in probably two years, but friends and I played Smash on it so much in college, I think I might have worn away parts of the CD. I preferred Zelda: Twilight Princess to Skyward Sword, but enjoyed them both.

Wii was so amazing when it came out; the excitment of "NO CORD? ONE-HANDED CONTROLLER?" was baller at the time.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Love my Wii. I use it mostly for Netflix, playing Uno with a friend, and am still trying to finish the Endless Ocean 2 game.:laugh:
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    MY Wii is dead. Literally. Damn thing won't play discs, so we upgraded to a WiiU.

Not sure if I'd buy one for collections sake. My husband won't give away our broken one nor send it anywhere to be fixed, so...

Dunno how techy you or your husband are, but you can softmod a Wii even without a working optical drive and just play games off of a hard drive plugged into the USB port. I had a Wii with a bad DVD drive that I softmodded, backed up all of my games to a small 2.5" external HD, and it's been pretty awesome. Games load SO MUCH faster, and there's no disc switching to worry about.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've had one since release and haven't used it in literally years. I bought all of about 4 games, and since then not a thing has hooked my interest. It was disappointing, imo.

IMO the Wii was nothing but a gimmick. The games themselves depended too much on gimmicky features and too few had deep, engrossing stories to capture my interest. Plus Nintendo's first party titles were never all that special IMO. All of the great NES/SNES games (for the most part) were third party titles.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Love my Wii. I use it mostly for Netflix, playing Uno with a friend, and am still trying to finish the Endless Ocean 2 game.:laugh:

I've never met anyone else (other than the friend that hooked me) that played Endless Ocean. I'm trying to finish it, too...but I often waste time paddling around in the Gatama Atoll to relax. Or Cicero's Strait to poke Thanatos in the nose and run away.

In all seriousness, I keep my Wii for working out with Just Dance or Mario Party when I need to keep people entertained (who won't dance). :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

I've never met anyone else (other than the friend that hooked me) that played Endless Ocean. I'm trying to finish it, too...but I often waste time paddling around in the Gatama Atoll to relax. Or Cicero's Strait to poke Thanatos in the nose and run away.

In all seriousness, I keep my Wii for working out with Just Dance or Mario Party when I need to keep people entertained (who won't dance). :)

Awesome about Endless Ocean! My friend (who turned me onto the game) is the only other person I know that has played it. Gatama Atoll is quite relaxing. I like being (finally) mostly decked out on my island with a jukebox and hammock.:bigsmile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves the Endless Ocean games!

Dunno whats up with Wii U....there seem to be very few games for it, and virtually nothing of consequence from anyone other than Nintendo.
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    Never got into the Wii, although I still have my old GameCube (haven't hooked it up in years, but I still have it!) I used to play the everlovin' crap out of the Metroid titles. The Wii U is interesting, but not enough compelling titles to warrant a buy just yet. Not saying I won't get one eventually, just waiting for a few must-have games to come down the pipeline before I invest in a third console (or a fifth, if you count last-gen.)
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awesome about Endless Ocean! My friend (who turned me onto the game) is the only other person I know that has played it. Gatama Atoll is quite relaxing. I like being (finally) mostly decked out on my island with a jukebox and hammock.:bigsmile:

I do love that hammock. Also the beach chairs by the campfire.

I've never seen a WiiU in action to know anything about it, and there aren't any compelling games like others have said. I watch a couple different "Let's Plays" on YouTube from PauseUnpause, and that's all the gaming interaction I need for that.

Plus, I have games for the Wii I've never finished, so until I do that, no new stuff for me. *glares angrily in the direction of Skyward Sword*

I rage-quit that about two hours after I started playing, and I've never been back. >.>
  • T_Roc
    T_Roc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The reason I still have my Wii my kids use it for Netflix.