1/2 or Full!!!!

Options
So I just ran Chicago last sunday 10/13. I am registered for R n R las vegas 11/17. I registered for the full as it costs nothing to drop to the 1/2 but would cost to transfer from 1/2 to full. The course has a 5 hour time limit and my chicago time was 5:14. Now last years cut off was 4:30 and i looked at results and there were many many people far past that time(6 plus hours) yet others got diverted. I am feeling great and really really really want to shoot for the full. I'm super torn though :/ Has anyone done the race who may have input or just a general what would you do????

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I wouldn't do either. Racing 5 weeks after a marathon is just asking for an overuse injury. You may feel fine, but it takes the body a good 4 weeks to recover from marathon effort. Since you already paid for it, do the half, but don't race it full out.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just did a two marathons three weeks apart. My time on the second marathon was actually slightly better (only by about a minute), but it sure didn't feel better while I was doing it; I wanted to stop starting at around mile 11. I'm finding recovery to be a lot harder too. Given the cutoff time of 5 hours and your previous time of over 5 hours, I'd do the half. I'd hate to nearly run a marathon and end up with a DNF! Better to run the half and enjoy your trip to Vegas.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said already.
    I would do the half.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the 5 hour time limit is for the full? Sounds awfully short. As others had said, I would do the half as well. Marathon recovery takes a lot of time. Personally, I wouldn't do either.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    RnR LV has the same cutoff for the half and full; both races also cost the same ammount right now. I ran a few years ago before they made the change to night and was very disappointed in the course for the full. The first half up and down the strip was awesome, but for the full you go out to some residential/industrial area and then come back. The course has been changed since then but I would stick with the half.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running at night in the winter is pretty sucky, I'd stick with half.