89nunu's bulking log

Options
89nunu
89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
Hi guys :)

So this going to be my first bulking and I'm going to start my new routine and to eat over maintenance today, which I'm excited and scared about all at once.

So these are my stats:

Hight: 5'11.5"

Weight: 157lb

Waist: 67 cm

Hips: 103 cm

Thighs: 54.5 cm

Bf%: 19-20 but I don't really trust this so it might be more

Maintenance calories: 2370

I will slowly work my way up to about 2600-2700 I see where my sweet spot is.

My routine:

Monday rest
Tuesday chest/back
Wednesday legs/abs
Thursday arms/delts
Friday rest
Saturday lower
Sunday upper

I will have to get some proper before pictures on the go but my profile pic and my ticker give an idea

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • 89nunu
    Options
    Update:

I have gone through awhile week of my new routine and have already made some minor changes. It did work out the way I wanted it to as in that I take 30-40 minutes in the gym during the week and about 70-90 minutes on the weekend.
    I was sore all the way through but I think that is only because I'm doing a lot of exercises I haven't done before, I don't generally feel it's too much for my body to handle.

I enjoy all the eating and don't seem to have any trouble in getting to goal.
    Also my scale now says 158, so plus 1 lb (weekly average 157.4) this is a bit unfortunate as I thought I would be able to eat more on my bulk but I'm hoping it might lots of water weight from my wine and dinner bonanza on Friday (scales started going up from then)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    good job! the little bit of weight could also be your muscles retaining water for repair, if you are extra sore. i can put on several pounds of water on repair days, especially leg day.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree with Sonya. There are so many things that can lead to small random fluctuations. Sodium, repair needs, replenishing glycogen stores which causes us to hold onto water, etc.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    And don't forget about wherever you are in your cycle. That **** messes with you too!
  • 89nunu
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I know that scale weight fluctuates a lot and I was a little more sore than usual. Was already on maintenance before so glycogen shouldn't really be much of an issue...

But what I really noticed this week that I seem to fluctuate a lot more on my bulk! Granted it had been a crazy week of some long days with massive amounts of salty food and quite a bit of wine :D

In the weekly average I'm now standing at 158 (+1lb from the beginning) so it's going to plan :)

My lifts are going a lot better!! Apart from the bench press (but I didn't have my normal morning routine today and got to the gym later than usual so I will put that down to that for now)

Generally I feel pretty damn good! And I never thought I would ever say this but eating this much is hard! :D
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Isn't the gym performance increase the best thing?? I love it too!!

Great progress!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right path!
  • 89nunu
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks into my bulk now and I'm feeling epic!!

I never thought I would be happy to gain weight, but I am! I have gained 1.9 lb (average of fluctuations) so I'm perfectly on course for gaining .5 a week :)

I love!!! The gym even more than before! I got so much energy and my lifts are going great!

After changing up my routine for bench press last week I even managed to go up today. From 30 kg 4x8 (including face plant) to 32.5 4x5 (unfortunately including that stupid bloke yanking the bar off me on the last rep instead of helping a little, I could have made it!) so it's going up slowly but it's going up!

And the best of it all: I was afraid I would turn instantly wobbly but I didn't! :drinker:
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Seeing progress in the gym is a great reminder of why you're doing this. Keep up the awesome work!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Good job on being perfectly on track!
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! It's great to see how much you are enjoying your bulk!!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Yay for upping that weight!!! Well done, you!
  • 89nunu
    Options
    Ok... I think it's official... I suck at bulking:sad:

I'm eating at least 2750 calories a day, which should be 250 over tdee. I don't do any cardio apart from the 15 min bike ride to work...

My lifts are all going up quite nicely, so I can't go to wrong...
    But my scale weight doesn't really reflect this.

It's been nearly 7 weeks of bulking and at some point I managed to get up from 157 to 158.8 but now I'm back down to 158 (all averages from daily weighing) thanks to this I'm not fat though.. and actually I must be losing fat (will have to get the Callipers out to check though) cause I think my abs (that I don't really have yet) are beginning to pop out, very slowly starting from the top...

When I set out I did want to properly bulk and i was prepared for the wobble (or as prepared as you can be) but as it is pretty far into winter by now and my lifts are going up I'm thinking of just keeping things as they are and see what happens until after Christmas...
    I was planning to start a different routine next year anyway...

Unsure about the point of this post :D but this is what happens
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My weight gain is slower than I hoped too. I think that it's just a slow process when done right. I've determined that I'm going to be doing this for about a year if not longer. I'd rather do it right and look pretty good along the way, then gain too much fat then give up completely. As long as you are getting stronger something is happening. :flowerforyou:
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar experience, too. I agree with Barbellgirl- I thnk we just need to be committed to a longer bulk to get where we want to go.

Hang in there!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it is just a slow process. Weight gain isn't always linear. I'd give it another week and if you still haven't gained…up some more.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I'm starting to feel less alone the more journals I read...I'm with ya.
  • 89nunu
    Options
    Hello again!
    I've been visiting family for an extended Christmas holiday. And while I wanted to go to the gym while there is got ill and couldn't shake it of for ages so the only muscle workout I had in the last 2.5 weeks was taking out a wall and a floor on two non consecutive days.

I have actually managed to lose 2.6 lbs over this period!!! 2.6 lbs that took me 8 weeks to put on :( I'm still hoping it might just be from to little water though... So I will have to check over the next couple of days.

I was back in the gym today, starting a new workout. It's a split routine with the snazzy name of avengers workout:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/superhero-workout-build-avengers-physique-6-weeks

Basically a 6 week programme that changes every two weeks including different meal plans and calorie goals.
    I will be following the calorie goals (although adjusted cause they are for big guys) but not the meal plan (not made for vegetarians).

Not sure that 6 weeks will make a major difference but it fits quite nicely in my time frame and I guess I just have to see what happens.

Gym didn't go to bad today even though I was still coughing about a little. I'm just glad to be back at it to be honest!!