Deadlifts...

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
I was reading the squat-ober thread and took a look at Lydia's deadlift, and I got to wondering. How many people do a wide stance or "froggy" deadlift? I have used it almost since I started deadlift. I kept barking my shins when I attempted the close leg stance with arms outside my legs. (I also injured my back with my legs together.) So I started wide leg stance. It allows me to get my hips down very low and not hit myself with the bar as often. When I coached powerlifting, this was the lift I taught my students as well.
Anyone else have commentary on it?

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    is it 'sumo' deadlift you are referring to?

I haven't tried it at this point, but not ruling it out!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it yet - but wore long socks today so my shins were slippery and the bar went up smoothly!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it yet - but wore long socks today so my shins were slippery and the bar went up smoothly!

^Yep just wear socks. Problem solved !

Also, have never done a Sumo Deadlift - I guess I never had a reason to.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started with sumo deadlifts.. it just felt more comfortable for me. My DH started the program the same week as me and he does "regular" deadlifts because those feel better for him.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried them but willing to...
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Deadlift PSA:

Sumo deadlifts are definitely a great lift which many consider an accessory to conventional deadlifts.

If you're competing in powerlifting they may be the best to do as they may allow you to lift more weight depending on anthropometrics. On the other hand if you ever consider strongman sumo deadlifts are not allowed, and a conventional translates much better to most events. If you're not competing then a max lift doesn't really matter, and I would stick with conventional.

They do not work the same muscles as conventional deads, and I wouldn't consider them an adequate substitute in the parameters of this program. Of course everyone's workout is their own, and it is important to do exercises you like. Just be aware that you won't get the same benefits as a conventional lift.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

^Yep just wear socks. Problem solved !

I'm going to have to try this. I have bruises up and down my shins. :)
  • AABru
    Options
    Yes...I was talking about Sumo lifts. I was training students to compete competitively and this was the lift of choice. I prefer it. I can do conventional lifts, but they feel exceptionally awkward to me. Sumo mimics the motion I would use to lift something heavy. Maybe I will start to alternate just to keep up good practice. I never considered the fact that I wasn't using the same muscles...
    Long socks are a good idea, but I have delicate petite "steers." No fun getting socks over them!!:blushing:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I do both - my main lift is conventional, and my accessory are sumos. They definitely work different muscles. I have also found that the conventional form translates better to functional use.
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do both, standard deadslifts for my working sets, sumos for accessory work.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Summo for sets after the first one.
  • AABru
    Options
    Warmed up with conventional deadlifts today and then switched to sumo...can really feel it in my butt...
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    What's the difference? You just have your legs further apart?
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    sumo works your glutes more and shortens your range of motion... you SHOULD be able to sumo DL a bit more weight than traditional DL... my sumo is 270 vs my standard at 245. Sumos are awesome lifts, and i use them in place of regular DLs on occasion- they really work your adductors which transfer over to helping your keep those knees pushed out on your squats. they are also better for people with not as good form, as they put less stress on the spine. westside barbell is really into the sumo DL if you want to research it more.