Just started treament for PCOS

Options
hbarker216
hbarker216 Posts: 24 Member
Hi everyone, I'm Heather and I'm 24 years old.

I have known about my PCOS condition for several years now but am just now deciding to take charge of my medical health. I just recently met with an endocrinologist this week, and was prescribed Glumetza.

Has anyone ever tried Glumetza extended release? It is 500 mg, suppose to take it 2 times a day and she plans on increasing me later. Does it aide in weight loss does it aide in limiting testosterone? In what ways does it help? Did it help with your menstrual cycles?

My cycles never end...and when they do they disappear for a while, i basically constantly bleed all the time. Sometimes its just a little bit of a period...sometimes its full blown can't control the flow.

I have been having trouble losing weight for many reasons. One thing is that I think I am depressed...not sure cuz haven't sought out professional help. I think the depression is what leads me to be unmotivated and lazy, and to seek comfort foods. Another reason I'm having trouble losing weight is because I eat out too much, but have a very limited budget. When it comes to the limited budget i know that i can have healthy meals at home but I am not good at cooking, and I don't have any basic "staples" at home or very many cooking tools and i easily get frustrated. If a meal costs more than $5, i get frustrated. Plus on a normal day i only eat 1 meal a day, and snack the rest of the day. Also I do not exercise at all...besides during the day when i once in a while decide to walk a few miles home instead of taking the bus. One part of leading me not to exercise is due to the fact that i can't find workout clothing that i like. Yes i could wear sweatpants and a t-shirt but i feel very self conscious and just wish there was affordable work-out clothing for my size. I think due to depression i would rather sleep during the day than even think about the gym.

I am 214 pounds...more than i ever have been, and although i have been on MFP for a while I have made no progress.

Anyways I am in college right now with no job, so that is a huge factor in my limitations on budget. I have a budget of $800 a month, $400 of that goes to rent, $80 goes to transportation, $100 goes to cable, $40 goes to power bill, the rest is for food or other necessities...i have no other sources of income or help. I am about to get a part-time job though.

Replies

• Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather! Welcome to the group. I've never heard of that medication so I would suggest maybe googling it?? My cycles aren't that irregular although I've been known to go a month or two without my cycle. Are you on any birth control? I'm an emotional eater as well so eating comfort foods is an issue for me as will.

As far as exercise even walking for 30 minutes is a good idea. What are you in college for? Slowly change your bad eating habits for good ones like switching soda for water. Good luck
  • hbarker216
    hbarker216 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think Glumetza is a name brand version of Metformin, but not sure if they are at all any different from one another. I do not take birth control because I am trying to get pregnant. My endocrinologist is going to try and help me have better cycles if the Glumetza doesn't improve it in 3 months.

I'm going to college studying Social Work..not real sure if i want to go to Graduate school or not and if i did i am not sure what i want to study once there...not sure what type of job i will want after i graduate.

Thankfully i don't drink too much soda cuz it is an expense, water is free lol...but um i drink about 20 ounces a day of soda...i definitely am going to cut that out. I also plan on getting some fruit to take with me on the go like buy a bag of apples so i can have an apple as a snack everyday before class instead of my typical trip to the vending machine to grab chez-its haha.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin prior to getting pregnant and through the first trimester. I am now 26 weeks pregnant. Prior to the metformin I did not have cycles at all. On 1000 mg a day I still did not have cycles but I did stop losing hair excessively. After three months my dosage was increased to 2000 mg a day and my cycles restarted.
    Does your college have a gym? That would be a good free option. Also I would recommend walking outside if the weather is nice or at the mall if it's not. I did manage to get pregnant and lose weight on metformin but I was eating well and exercising three times a week.