Light of the World - James Lee Burke

Options
Our first book! Do we want to try bi-weekly and see how it goes? We can always change it to monthly if it's too much. Also, if you're too busy or absolutely don't want to read a book, you can always wait till the next one :happy: Let's say Sunday, October 27 and we'll start our next one Sunday, November 10!

Replies

• featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of the book :)
  • Jinkeys
    Jinkeys Posts: 26
    Options
    Sounds good to me :)
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up When it Rains, then starting another for another book club, and I should start this one by Wednesday or Thursday? I already put it on my kindle :smile:
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sounds good
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    How is the book going? I will be starting it tonight!
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I'm finishing up When it Rains, then starting another for another book club, and I should start this one by Wednesday or Thursday? I already put it on my kindle :smile:

Haha, this is what happened to me too. I downloaded it the day we decided what book to read!
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I think I started chapter 6 last night. I'm kind of a slow reader! I am loving it so far. Burke's descriptions of people and places put everything right there for me.

I think I can lend a book to one person, I'm happy to do that if someone needs it! (Provided I can figure out how ;) )
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I just started last night. Admittedly, I fell asleep reading it - but only because I was so tired :) I got halfway through the second chapter.

How is it going for everyone else?
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I fall asleep reading EVERY NIGHT! No joking. It's no reflection on what I'm reading, only that I'm one tired farm girl! ;)
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I fall asleep reading EVERY NIGHT! No joking. It's no reflection on what I'm reading, only that I'm one tired farm girl! ;)

Lol, me too!! My kindle has fallen to the floor before :smile:
    Looks like I'm most likely starting Saturday. Homeschooling has been cutting into my reading time :wink: LOL
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options

Lol, me too!! My kindle has fallen to the floor before :smile:
    Looks like I'm most likely starting Saturday. Homeschooling has been cutting into my reading time :wink: LOL

I know - sometimes it's SO hard to stay awake, but the book is too good to stop for the night :happy:
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I'm not even halfway through yet. I"ll try to pick up my pace! Loving the book though. The time change is killing me :P
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I agree - the book is pretty good! I like that I'm reading something I would not have picked up for myself. Good pick!
  • Jinkeys
    Options
    I am about halfway through, what date are we shooting for to discuss? It's a very meaty novel, and I am struggling to sink my teeth into the voluminous prose. I'm not able to blow through this one like I usually can :)
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I am about halfway through, what date are we shooting for to discuss? It's a very meaty novel, and I am struggling to sink my teeth into the voluminous prose. I'm not able to blow through this one like I usually can :)

The goal is every two weeks - so that would be this Sunday. However, we can extend and do this monthly. Still have to work out the kinks :)
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I'm barely halfway through too! With this author I often find myself rereading entire pages at a time, just to get the full effect of the prose. I just think he writes beautifully.
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    If it's ok with everyone, we'll give it at LEAST another week and maybe a full month then! I'll probably have it done this weekend (as I'm traveling and will be passenger :happy: ) but wouldn't mind the extra time.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I actually just started it today. Was having a tough time getting into it for some reason at first. Really starting to enjoy it now. I am an "emotional" reader so like books with a lot of emotional punch and this book took a bit to get there, but definitely have arrived now lol
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I actually just started it today. Was having a tough time getting into it for some reason at first. Really starting to enjoy it now. I am an "emotional" reader so like books with a lot of emotional punch and this book took a bit to get there, but definitely have arrived now lol

I'm the same way! I can't tell you how many books I've started and abandoned 20 pages in. Burke's Rain Gods was that way for me; I still haven't gone back to it :p

I also have a background in editing, and if a book is poorly written and edited, I move on to the next one. To me, this is one author who can border on purple prose now and again, but overall, his descriptive writing is both tight and vivid. He's indulgent with his words, but he's earned the right to be, if that makes sense! lol
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Got a copy from the library today. Will start reading it this afternoon. I like a book to grab me in the first ten pages but rarely abandoned a book that doesn't. I have occasionally found that I get dragged in slowly but really like the story after that. I won't look for other books by that author soon after either.

I'll check back in after reading a few chapters.