Halloween challenge, anyone?

Options
PaulaKro
PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
Halloween has been my downfall after many great weight losses. Candy calls to me, saying "Oh one won't hurt..." then "Just one more..." then eventually "Well, you've blown it now, might as well keep going." And it takes months to get back on track and start all over.

So now I'm not allowed to take even the first bite.

Coworkers don't appreciate the temptation, so leftovers go to a local charity. The Senior Center loves them.

I am wondering how you all cope with the temptation this time of year? Anyone interested in sharing a candy-control challenge this week?

Best wishes, all.
Paula

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Paula, Halloween has always been devilish here as well. We buy the giant bag of the good mini-bars. Reeses, Almond Joy, Snickers, Kit Kat are our normal offerings. Now, every year we have more kids show up so of course we were buying more. Inevitably someone in this house would tear into the candy early so we often HAD to buy more. Someone was usually me, btw...

This year, we bought one bag from Costco. We have not torn into it yet and won't until Halloween. The day after, our daughter is due home from college, so we will probably bag any leftovers and send them home with her, or they will go to our office Friday morning. The maintenance guys and the runners in the office take care of these things very quickly, and honesty makes me admit that this is the safest plan for us.

My plan for Halloween itself is to not dip in before my doctors appointment that afternoon, then have a good, high protein dinner. It is supposed to be the coldest night of the year so far, so I'll put it to the family. I'm thinking either Green Chile Stew or regular Tex-Mex Chili, or a beef stew. Fill up on that, and I won't be able to eat the chocolate.

Great challenge, Paula! Come on folks, accept the challenge, make a plan now and let's wrap up October in a great way!
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I avoid "fun size" candy. It is my doom.

And my workaround is evil and mean.

The first year I lived here we got four kids on the night. The second year we got one. After that we just ate all the candy.

So this year we will avoid the whole problem by not buying Halloween candy. ESPECIALLY on November 1, when it is being given away in the stores!

We will go out on Halloween and leave the house dark.

Please don't hate me. I already survived Canuck Thanksgiving. If I can make through Halloween by any means necessary, I will make through Christmas--I am sure of it!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    We don't get a lot of kids for Halloween but we do have a costume parade at work and give out candy so I buy things I don't really like...it makes it less tempting.... If i buy chips I will eat them... I made the kids bags up and any left overs will go to the residents at my work... On Halloween night I am taking my son trick or treating so lots of walking for me.. And then if I pick a treat from their bags I will be mindful to log it in... My daughter has braces and my son has some other appliance in his Mouth so their orthodontist will buy their candy from them... I may go with that as I don't want broken appliances that cost more money to fix!

I also avoid stores and all their good prices on November 1st so there is no temptation to buy discount candy!
  • lauralouwho84
    Options
    I have to admit, my friend bought me a bag of heath bar candy bars and I ate them all this weekend... I have no control with chocolate, so I am starting over and staying away from the candy!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    @ laurarichardson84
    I have to admit, my friend bought me a bag of heath bar candy bars and I ate them all this weekend... I have no control with chocolate, so I am starting over and staying away from the candy!

ARGH! I would have been in the same boat, Heath bars are the best (worst? whatever. Nom nom nom nom....) Plotting revenge on this friend??? :noway:
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Candy isn't as big of a draw to me as salty or savory foods are… We bought a small bag of chocolates (the hershey's variety pack) and it's in the fridge and until I read this I actually forgot it even existed. Where we live isn't the safest neighborhood so I doubt we'll see any kids on Thursday, so the BF will probably be the one eating the majority of the bag we bought.

We will be taking my nephew trick or treating, and I may nab a piece or two of his candy as payment, but I think I will be just fine! Now, if Halloween meant handing out Chinese food, I'd be a goner!
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My candy control strategy is simple, I log all my candy before I eat it. That way if something is really high in calories, I can change my mind before I actually eat it :) It has been working pretty well! I can have a small piece or two while I'm at work and that's enough :bigsmile: I don't buy candy for home because I live in a vacation condo where nobody goes trick or treating, which really saves me in the long run... Hope everyone does well against their candy cravings this week! Good luck :drinker:
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any Halloween candy yet, and plan to keep it that way! It used to be all around the office, and luckily this year it isnt.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any Halloween candy yet, and plan to keep it that way! It used to be all around the office, and luckily this year it isnt.

One of my coworkers has been bringing in grapes and chopped vegies for everyone every morning. And so many people have commented that they haven't had room to even think about candy. Now we're all chipping in. It's amazing to always have something healthy to nibble on.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers has been bringing in grapes and chopped vegies for everyone every morning. And so many people have commented that they haven't had room to even think about candy. Now we're all chipping in. It's amazing to always have something healthy to nibble on.

That's a great idea! I should keep a carrot platter in front of my cube :)
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I blew it this year already, when I was sick week before last I bought a bag of tootsie rolls and other products (the Child's Play variety bag) and ... ate it. In about 3 sittings. I felt so awful after that my candy cravings are pretty much gone right now. I work afternoons so I don't have to worry about giving out candy, because I am not home, but that somehow makes it worse that I deliberately bought and scarfed a whole bag of candy (and some pizza - bad oh-poor-me weekend!). My work does some kind of fun thing that also happens mostly during the daytime, so I should be OK tomorrow, and if they give us goody bags, I can pawn most of it off on my pod mates :)
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Cary: I bet most of us have been there before... And lots of us this year too! I know it's difficult but you can't change what happened so off to your next moment, take pause and try and work out a better solution!

Someone left lots of Halloween treats out at work and it was so tempting but I know my diabetes is not in good control right now so I avoided the goodies. This morning I made sure my breakfast was satisfying and tonight all the goodies are bought are ones I don't like!!! And thank heavens I have not had an appatite for the last few days so I think I am safe! The downside is that if it's not just from my affected taste buds with my cold then my doctor is going to torture me with pokes and needles.. I hate needles!

Back to Halloween... After this mornings weigh in I am not prepared to go backwards on the scale so I am in charge of my Halloween!