advice on a name

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I gave the BF three choices of names and he likes the name Gretchen.

I happen to think it's a pretty name. It's very unique.

What do you think? Be blunt I don't mind.

I'd prefer it to be pronounced Gretchan..do you think you could spell it that way or Is that too weird?

Replies

• her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I reeeeally like that name! Unique, strong and beautiful. I've always been a "stay true to the regular spellings of a name" kind of a lady but that's certainly just me (:
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like the name, and normally feel people should stick to the traditional spelling.

But honestly, Gretchen versus Gretchan makes no difference to me! It seems more like an "alternate spelling" than an "off-the-wall spelling", if that makes sense?? (My niece is an Abigail. They toyed with Abigail, Abigale, and Abigayle. The one with the "y" was a little too much for me, but the other ones were both fine in my eyes.)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I like it, but would stick to the traditional spelling, mostly because the emphasis is on the first syllable so regardless of how you spell it, most people will pronounce it Gretch-in.
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I like the name, but also have a niece with it. Be prepared that people will shorten it to Gretch. It took a long time for my brother-in-law and wife to break people of the habit, but they did. I could never call her it as all I could picture was the 'Grinch' when it was said. But my mother-in-law called her that for the first couple of years.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I like the name, a LOT!

I think it makes more sense to go with Gretchen and not try to make it Gretchan. It just seems like an uphill battle. I don't think anyone is going to pronounce it that way, especially with the accent being on the first syllable. For example, no one says Megan with a short a sound, it usually comes out Meggin (or Maygin, but that's a whole other discussion).
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I like the name...not overly popular these days and not weird. It's a good sturdy traditional name. I definitely do not care for the alternative spelling or pronunciation though. Are you for sure it’s a girl? I thought you said it was a boy before but maybe I missed the new announcement? Lol!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I like the name...not overly popular these days and not weird. It's a good sturdy traditional name. I definitely do not care for the alternative spelling or pronunciation though. Are you for sure it’s a girl? I thought you said it was a boy before but maybe I missed the new announcement? Lol!

LOL new announcement after two ultrasounds it is a girl. Possibly was the umbilical cord they mistook for a little boy part.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    OK...

Ingrid vs. Gretchen
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love the name!! I would go with the traditional spelling.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    OK...

Ingrid vs. Gretchen

Both lovely but Gretchen edges it out.

In a similar vein, I adore the name Astrid.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    If it's between Ingrid and Gretchen , I like Ingrid most. I love that name actually. Gretchen is nice but it has kind of a more severe sound to it.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Still lovin' me some Gretchen (: