Weight/BMI limit for Clomid?

Options
L2HS
L2HS Posts: 137 Member
Hey everyone!

I did some research when I last went to see my OB/GYN and I was totally expecting her to put me on Clomid in order to TTC. I was told to lose 65 pounds. I've thinking that my doctor was trying to be kind and gave me a more attainable number. I did the calculation and 185 would still put me in the "obese" range for BMI. I figured that I need to be 165 to go from "obese" to "overweight".

A thought just occurred to me. Is there a weight or BMI limit to be placed on Clomid or any fertility drugs for that matter? Is that why my doctor told me 185? That would mean my BMI would be around 34. Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!

Replies

• ladypetrus
    Options
    I've never heard of that but perhaps she was looking for you to lose a certain percentage of your body weight. I've read up on it and women who lose even just 10% of their body weight have a great increase in fertility. She also may be worried about other risks associated like gestational diabetes. Good for her for encouraging you to get healthy before conceiving! Much safer for you and baby down the road :)
  • thayne8681
    Options
    Yeah I think drs are trending toward getting mothers healthy before starting them on fertility meds because of the cost and side effects. Most women that don't ovulate begin to ovulate with a 10% reduction in weight. I totally understand their mindset, but as a woman that is so frustrating. We struggled with fertility issues and it feels like you will never have a baby already.
    Aim for that 10%. It really does work. I also think it helps with miscarriage. I had 12 miscarriages before I had my baby boy in March, and I lost the 10% right before going on clomid.