belly dance doings

Options
aerochic42
aerochic42 Posts: 821 Member
so for me the performance season is wrapped up (actually a couple of months ago). Me: I'm taking classes, practicing older dances, and trying to remember/relearn some other choreos and in general trying to clean up my moves.What aspects of bellydance are occupying you guys currently?

Replies

• lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Just saw the amazing annual Halloween Ravens Night spooky fusion bellydance show, http://www.ravensnight.com. It's making me think about taking a fusion class!

Currently bellydancing three nights a week -- performance class, technique class, and rehearsal. Mostly we are practicing for our big December show.
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Had a wonderful workshop this past Saturday, with a small hafla. Having an after Xmas hafla December 28th. Always always always taking classes and practicing
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The performance season rush is over!!! Now it's time to learn a couple new choreographs and continue practicing old ones. I would like to work on my solo, too. I practice on Tuesdays with one troupe and have classes on Thursday with another. The Thursday troupe usually has rehearsals another night of the week as well, so, I'm usually dancing 3 times a week. :)

One of my troupe directors is going to do a workshop for us to teach us a couple choreographs she learned at a dance camp last month. We have a theatrical performance (Snow Queen) coming up at the end of November, and both troupes are dancing at a holiday hafla on Dec 6th. Looking forward to these performances, but I'm also happy for the madness to slow down a bit! I love dancing with 2 troupes, but after a while, I need a break!! :happy: Maybe I can take some time to actually fix/alter some bits of costuming I haven't been able to wear yet!!

Hope everyone's fall/winter dance happenings are wonderful!! :drinker:

~Iza
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Just gearing up for our Holiday season, this time of year we spread our love and do volunteer performances at fundraisers for local charities. My first performance is at a fundraiser called Festival of Trees where organizations decorate a tree to be auctioned off and they have local crafts people set up tables to sell their crafts and they have local groups of all types come in to entertain (all proceeds go to a program that helps mentally challenged citizens of the community do things like get and keep jobs, get apartments to live on their own, provides transportation for them, ect). I'm performing with my studio troupe then with my friend's studio as a soloist. Then for both groups I'll be performing at multiple evening shows at the Botanical Gardens (they raise money for the gardens by putting up Christmas lights on all the plants and displays.)
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    (Hello! I'm new here! But diving right in…)

It's more like "what am I NOT focusing on right now?" It seems like dancing has taken over my life lately - this weekend was the first weekend in a month that I haven't had a workshop to go to (and that only because I couldn't afford to go to the one today!) I'm attending 2 weekly classes - one for conditioning-type things, and one more traditional one where we're working on saiidi technique & choreography with cane. I've also got *three* different numbers that I'll be performing at the local winter hafla/showcase at the beginning of December - 2 troupe performances (with 2 different troupes) and my first-ever solo which I'm still working on choreographing!

I'm hoping for a bit of a breather after the holidays - might drop one of the troupes - because this much dancing is just killer, and not always in a good way! I'd like to spend some more time with my DVD collection in the new year, especially drills, because I feel like all this choreography is letting my technique get a little sloppy…
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I've only been dancing 3 1/2 years and have only performed a total of 6 times- all were short and with a group. It still takes me a long time to get the details of new dances down and I'm learning 2 new ones now. I'm also trying to improve my shimmy on the down speed and to get better at layering. We might be performing in December or January, but otherwise we usually only do May-July ish. I feel like I have to put in full effort all year long just to approximate keeping up- most of my troop has been dancing 10-30 years.

But on the happy side, I signed up for a workshop with Mardi Love at Tribalfest and the first day is on my birthday! (not till may, but I'm so excited!) :heart:
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've had to let my regular class go by the wayside at the moment as I'm short of money. The class is only £40 for the 8 weeks, but there's also the petrol costs to get there. However, I do have my Black Sheep dvds now, so that's something I can work on.

My troupe are performing twice this month, then I think one of the girls is going to take a maternity break from performing with us. Hopefully she'll rejoin us after she's popped the little ones out (she's expecting twins), but Lilith and I will be looking at doing more folklorish stuff.