Coffee

Options
VastBreak
VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
How does coffee affect hypothyroidism and hashimoto's?

I'm reading conflicting info online!

Does it vary person to person? If so please share your experience.

Replies

• Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Ive had hashimotos for over 20 years ( Diagnosed just before i turned 17 ) and I am a coffee drinker. Although I find if i drink more than 1 or 2 cups i get heart palpitations. ( Drinking a bit of water after each cup seems to help). I dont think i could of made it through college with out it! lol
  • VastBreak
    Options
    I've never been much of a fan of coffee but I have started drinking it the past 6 months or so. Trying to figure out if I'm doing more harm then good at this point. Like you said though I'm not sure if I could get thru my crazy schedule right now without it!!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I relied on coffee pretty heavily off and on to get me going in the morning. I think it varies from person to person on tolerance for anything.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What is the conflicting information? I've never run across anything that relates coffee drinking to hypothyroid or hashimotos. curious...
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Thyroid book.com was saying that with hashimotos being auto immune that there are usually food and environmental factors that will cause flares of inflammation and raise antibodies. The top of the list were coffee, tea and gluten.

Other things I've read have said nothing about coffee causing reactions.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    I also read that coffee highly cross-reacts as gluten. Which means that your body may possibly mistake coffee in your system as gluten! How crazy is that!!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of stuff that can cross react as gluten when the body is super confused and overloaded. Casein (milk protein) is a big one. Not everyone cross reacts though, so unless you remove the food for a few weeks and then reintroduce it and experience a reaction, there really isn't a point in keeping it from your diet if you enjoy that food.

As an example, gluten and casein I have a confirmed autoimmune reaction too. I removed them from my diet for a month and recently had small amounts in a few meals and had no reaction. Now I won't be eating them every day (gluten/dairy), but I won't feel guilty about having some once in awhile because some things like real pizza and cupcakes are too good to ignore forever! :)