Hi Advent is coming up

Options
Hello people,

I'm glad to be here. I just joined the site yesterday. I know Advent is coming up. I was wondering if anyone fasted through all of Advent excepting of course Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. I also abstain from meat through Advent. The problem is I'm allergic to Fish and was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas of healthy foods to eat, rather than my usual cheese pizzas and the like through Advent.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

God bless,
Anne.

Replies

• jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hi, Anne. Thank you for the reminder of Advent... I always forget to buy candles until it is too late to order them!

I have heard that it was traditional to observe the days of Advent as a "mini Lent" with fasting/abstinence or other penances. I haven't done it before, but I will consider this season.

We almost never do fish for days of abstinence, it is expensive to feed a large family good quality seafood. So our meatless meals are usually vegetarian options such as beans and rice, potatoes, veggie soups, and the like. :smile:
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    Hi, Anne. Thank you for the reminder of Advent... I always forget to buy candles until it is too late to order them!

I have heard that it was traditional to observe the days of Advent as a "mini Lent" with fasting/abstinence or other penances. I haven't done it before, but I will consider this season.

We almost never do fish for days of abstinence, it is expensive to feed a large family good quality seafood. So our meatless meals are usually vegetarian options such as beans and rice, potatoes, veggie soups, and the like. :smile:

Sounds like some good stuff then, because that is what I've been doing too. I got my candles already :happy: I usually forget them too.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    GAAAA! advent already. Last year I was on it and had a clean house and tree up over thanksgiving weekend. GAAAHEEELP... anyway, in response to OP, when I HAVE to have pizza, but feel like being very calorie conscious, I take wonton wrappers, slather with sauce, cheese and pepperoni, roll into thirds and bake them.. 3 usually satisfies my craving for pizza.. AND I've been roasting pumpkin lately. FUN
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've tried taking a page from our evangelical friends and doing the Daniel fast. No meat, no caffeine, no alchol, no fish, no poultry, no refined flours. Kind of like a gluten-free vegan diet. Google the Daniel fast for more information.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am already a gluten free vegan!

Grassette, yet again you give me something to google... :smile:

Op, thanks for bring the topic up I started my journey on Ash Wednesday and can't think of a better way to finish out the year,,,

my diary is open if you need some veg meal ideas..
  • kimjutjor
    kimjutjor Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I fast on Fridays until sundown (or at least attempt to) throughout the year and also abstain from meat for the one meal I have on Friday nights. Usually just some mix of grilled vegetables or a simple soup and then maybe some grilled catfish at times. I just browse through the produce section at times and look for some different vegetables to try to change things up. Otherwise, I just get stuck in the same old food rut.
    I hadn't thought about doing anything further food wise for Advent before but will ponder on it and see what comes to mind. It is a good idea and something to make me take more mind to the season.