Anybody use non Olympic bar/weights?

Options
Care76
Care76 Posts: 556 Member
I'm looking to build a home gym so I can start SL at home. I'm trying to find used equipment and an Olympic size bar and weights with 2 inch holes are hard to find. If I have to I will buy them new but I'm hoping I don't have to. As it is I think I will need to buy a squat rack new as I can't find one of those either.

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I used a Standard Weight Set until this summer when I finally got an Olympic Set. Weight is weight IMO. The only downfall is having to elevate the smaller standard plates to get the bar to the right height for Deadlifts. I actually still use my Standard set for Bench Press, since I don't have a spotter - in an emergency a 15lb bar will be easier to deal with than a 45 bar.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use a standard bar atm...will switch it up when I find an olympic one at a decent price.

As for squat rack my husband is building me one...there are plans online if yours is so inclined.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Garage sales are awesome for finding weights. I started with a standard bar (still use it for OHP) and then found an olympic set. I just keep collecting weights of any size when I see a deal.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been looking for Olympic, but I will check out some of the regular ones.

Thanks Stef! I'm not sure if my hubby is up to it. His work slows down in the winter so maybe. :-)