hypnobirthing anyone?

Options
momRN2B
momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
I am 28 weeks pregnant with baby # 3 and I just got a book and CD on hypnobirthing- The Mongan Method. I am halfway through the book and i listened to the CD the last 3 nights and i fell asleep as soon as it ended. I wanted to know if anyone has used this method or any hypnobirthing method in past births and what your experiences were. Please share! Thanx in advance.

Replies

• momRN2B
    Options
    bump, am i the only one?
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I ordered the book and CD a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for it to arrive. I did pretty well with my first labor and delivery, but am hoping this will help with my breathing. I couldn't control it during the whole contraction and it bothered me. I hope to have it next week.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I was just looking into this recently too. Like, is it an actual state of hypnosis? Because I'm not too sure how I feel about that.
  • staplebug
    Options
    I'm taking a hypnobirthing class right now and love it (this is my first child, so we'll see how it goes, but I am very optimistic). You don't have to get worried when you hear the word hypnosis, it's really just a self-induced state of relaxation. I would highly recommend reading the book AND taking a class. Look at this site to find a practitioner in your area: http://hypnobirthing.com/directory/
  • momRN2B
    Options
    I'm taking a hypnobirthing class right now and love it (this is my first child, so we'll see how it goes, but I am very optimistic). You don't have to get worried when you hear the word hypnosis, it's really just a self-induced state of relaxation. I would highly recommend reading the book AND taking a class. Look at this site to find a practitioner in your area: http://hypnobirthing.com/directory/

how much do classes usually cost? i emailed someone in my area to ask. thanx for the link!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Interesting. When i think hypnosis I think of people waving an old watch in front of my eyes saying "you are getting very sleepy..."

I watched too much tv as a kid.

I'll look into it. Thanks! :)
  • momRN2B
    Options

how much do classes usually cost? i emailed someone in my area to ask. thanx for the link!

I was told that the classes cost $350. Is that the average asking price?
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

I was told that the classes cost $350. Is that the average asking price?

I did hypnobabies and loved it!! I did the home study course and it was half the cost at around $150, but you can check eBay, too. I ended up in over 30 hours of back labor with a posterior baby, but I made it almost 30 hours naturally and I believe hypnobabies helped make it tolerable. Even with such a complicated labor I loved the program for what it did for me during pregnancy. I was confident about my ability to birth and was relaxed and slept well the entire time! I think this was vital in helping me achieve my VBAC. It was amazing as I have suffered insomnia for years and am high strung. I still listen to the tracks and love them!!!

It really is just teaching you self relaxation. Big help for birthing as you need to be relaxed to progress in labor. :)
  • MeanieD
    Options
    BUMP!

Wow, this is the first I've read of someone endorsing the hypno-birthing. My doctor suggested checking it out, but I was skeptical. Has anyone recently tried it?
  • momRN2B
    Options
    I read the book and listened to the CD almost every night in my last semester, it helped me fall asleep. However, I did not end up using it during my labor because my labor was so short this time and by the time i realized I was in intense labor, it was time to go to the hospital. I barely made it in time to get into a bed in L&D and push the baby out. My water broke sunday morning around 2 AM, did not have any contractions so upon my midwife's recommendation I took castor oil at 1 PM on monday. First contraction was 2:30 PM baby was born around 6:47 PM, so about 4 hours of labor in total. With my other two kids i had really long labors about 17 hours with my first and about 20 hours with my second. So I figured I would need something to help me get through all those hours, but i didnt need it this time. I started off this last pregnancy about 30 lbs lighter and fitter than with my first two and I was doing a circuit training type workout 3-4 days a week and walking a lot the whole pregnancy. I was also counting calories on MFP and managed to gain just 25 lbs this pregnancy. I wonder if this all contributed to my shorter labor, who knows!
  • MeanieD
    Options
    Thanks for the input. :)
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    In Bristol UK, the midwives encourage it, at my unit they're adamant that women that have practiced hypnobirthing throughout pregnancy have less painful and more efficient labours. Sounds great to me.

I can't afford actual classes so bought a set of Maggie Howell cds on eBay. The pregnancy CD is incredibly relaxing and inspired me to start logging on this again as I want relaxed and healthy pregnancy. At 32 weeks I will start using a second CD about the birth, and I have another CD for during the birth to prompt relaxation techniques and it contains other tracks for if things don't go to plan.

I already feel so chilled out about the idea of labour when only a month ago I was like, I've gotta have that epidural. I'm now planning an active birth and feel so confident that I can do it.

I'll have to update after the birth ;)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think it's mainly about relaxation and focusing on other things to get you through contractions. I did my own version lol. I can't afford to pay for a course.

With my first I arrived at hospital 10cm dilated, and my son was born within an hour and a half of arriving. I just got gas and air for the pushing bit. I used a TENS machine at home and had somehow got through the contractions by thinking of other things! Labour was around 7.5 hours altogether.

With my second I was induced as she was so overdue (12 days when she was born). Again I used my TENS machine and just focused on other things. It was harder as I was in hospital the whole time, but I got to 8cm before getting gas and air. The whole thing was just over 4 hours.

I hope my third will be as easy! I've heard that third babies can be the difficult ones so I hope that's not true!
  • StansGal
    StansGal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have the book and CD on the way, am first timer so willing to try anything. Have been doing preggo-pilates and yoga - was hoping that would help with breathing and relaxation also.
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My midwife highly recommended this to me after I had started doing some minor research on my own. Classes at a birth center in my area are about $350 as well. I have heard nothing but amazing things and know other moms-to-be that will be taking the classes as well. Does anyone have recommendations for good hypnobirthing literature?