What food are you missing the most?

Options
stephysd
stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
I used to have a Peppermint Latte daily every morning. And especially now with the holidays getting closer, the cold weather coming in, and the fact that I am tired all the time I really wish I could have my latte, but unfornately the smell of coffee is a huge trigger. I even made my husband switch to tea as I could stomach the smell of his coffee brewing. He just drinks coffee at work now.

What food or drink are you ladies missing?

Replies

• OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha I thought I was the only one that had an aversion towards coffee! I looked forward to pumpkin spice lattes every year and now I can't even stomach them. :cry: The smell of coffee or even the thought of coffee makes me so queasy! The break room in my office is not far from me and people wiz by my desk with their coffees constantly sending me a strong whiff of their brew. Ugh.... I always look forward to noon when most people are done drinking it.

I guess what I really miss right now is coffee and sushi. I have been craving sushi like crazy!!! I think what I may do is just get some california rolls which are imitation crab or sushi that has fish that's been tempura'd. But nothing is the same as raw tuna or salmon. :sad:
  • stephysd
    Options
    I guess what I really miss right now is coffee and sushi. I have been craving sushi like crazy!!! I think what I may do is just get some california rolls which are imitation crab or sushi that has fish that's been tempura'd. But nothing is the same as raw tuna or salmon. :sad:

Shhh.. don't tell but I had sushi probably two or three weeks ago. I got a butt chewing from our parents when we got home, but they don't like sushi like we do. I did eat my California roll, half of my husband's Cali roll, and then 4 pieces of Sashimi (1 was shrimp so only three were raw). We usually each get a different meal and then split. My hubby ordered a bento box that had fried vegetables tempura, but I can not stomach fried foods. That is why I got his Cali roll, and then he ate the rest of sashimi.

Smoked salmon rolls if they have any are usually not too bad, but I agree nothing is the same as the sashimi.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Subway sandwiches. I'm not the biggest fan of cold lunch meat, but it sounds good occasionally! A roast beef sandwich on their Parmesan bread sounds soooo good. But alas, it would need to be heated, and I don't want it heated, it would ruin it. So no sandwiches. I stopped drinking pepsi for some reason. Just didn't sound good, but I don't really miss it. My problem is there's too many things that sound good now that I can eat. I want 2 McDonald's sausage muffins, donuts, and milkshakes just to name a few. Since I can and occasionally do indulge in these though it's not overwhelming. That subway sandwich? I may just have to have them heat the meat then throw it in the fridge when I get home, because damnit I want one!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    Options

Shhh.. don't tell but I had sushi probably two or three weeks ago. I got a butt chewing from our parents when we got home, but they don't like sushi like we do. I did eat my California roll, half of my husband's Cali roll, and then 4 pieces of Sashimi (1 was shrimp so only three were raw). We usually each get a different meal and then split. My hubby ordered a bento box that had fried vegetables tempura, but I can not stomach fried foods. That is why I got his Cali roll, and then he ate the rest of sashimi.

Smoked salmon rolls if they have any are usually not too bad, but I agree nothing is the same as the sashimi.

LOL...I promise I won't tell a soul. I don't think the amount you ate is too bad. :-) I just think there's all these rules to scares us! NO FAIR!! :tongue:
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wine! I really, really miss wine!
  • stephysd
    Options

LOL...I promise I won't tell a soul. I don't think the amount you ate is too bad. :-) I just think there's all these rules to scares us! NO FAIR!! :tongue:

That they do. The saddest part of the meal was watching my husband enjoy sake and knowing I could not. A glass of ice water with lemon just is not the same!
  • qhiggins86
    qhiggins86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Anything with milk... :sad:

I'm fairly certain I'm lactose intolerant again. I was lactose intolerant as a baby and for much of my childhood but it seemed to go away as I became an adult for the most part. I'd go to the doctor and get tested for it, but all the tests include me ingesting high concentrations of lactose and I'd rather not go through that. Better safe than sorry, right? Thoughts?
  • stephysd
    Options
    Wine! I really, really miss wine!

Yes!!! I know that will get really hard around the holidays when everyone is enjoying their's. There are a lot of local vineyards that make some amazing holiday wines that we always purchase to enjoy with the Thanksgiving meal. Unfornately I'll be drinking spiced apple cider with the kids.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Definitely missing sushi - i love smoked salmon and avocado drool!

Also walked past all the soft cheeses at the supermarket last night, brie/camembert etc, not like i have it all the time but when you CAN'T have something then you really want it, typical!

I'm missing being able to buy a salad from a salad bar big time - having to be organised and making my own before work

I've read that Australia seems to be stricter with their guidelines? Those in the states are you also advised not to purchase any premade salads? :/
  • stephysd
    Options
    I've read that Australia seems to be stricter with their guidelines? Those in the states are you also advised not to purchase any premade salads? :/

Not that I have ever heard of. We are not suppose to eat deli type meats, so I suppose if the salad had meat on it that was cold it would be a no-no. But probably a salad with cooked chicken breast would be ok. I probably should worry about such things, but I really don't. It didn't kill me or the baby in my first two pregnancies when it was still an okay with to do. Our mothers did it and we turned out okay. I don't seek it out, but if the only thing I can eat was a cold meat sandwich I would eat it. I figure there are worse things in life.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Camembert. Really crave it. We have some in the fridge but it is real temptation
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i miss sooooo many foods. it's so crazy that most of my favorite foods are detestable to me now! i've been feeling better lately and really trying hard to eat better, since i have an appointment next week to talk about my nutrition... i haven't been tracking my food for a few months now, but i started up again sunday so that i have something to show. at least it's keeping me a bit accountable!

some foods i am missing: eggs. avocado. vegetables of any kind. ice cream (???!?!!!!). sushi. chicken. salmon!!!!!!!!!!! yogurt/cottage cheese. turkey/lunch meat. mainly, any kind of DINNER type food. i love to cook, but all the smells have really gotten to me and so lately my poor husband has been eating so much frozen pizza and so many frozen burritos, i feel bad! i am nearing the end of my 1st trimester though, and i HAVE been feeling better, so i am hoping that i am close to the point where some of the food aversion goes away!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Guess sushi is the only thing I really miss because nothing else in my average diet has changed.
    I never drank coffee or any kind of caffeine before pregnancy because of other health problems. I have been missing caffeine for a long time though.

Can anyone tell me the logic behind why we can't eat sliced turkey/chicken lunch meat? I dont understand why not. If it is fully cooked, why is it not safe?
  • stephysd
    Options
    Guess sushi is the only thing I really miss because nothing else in my average diet has changed.
    I never drank coffee or any kind of caffeine before pregnancy because of other health problems. I have been missing caffeine for a long time though.

Can anyone tell me the logic behind why we can't eat sliced turkey/chicken lunch meat? I dont understand why not. If it is fully cooked, why is it not safe?

http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

Here is some info on the reasoning behind it and what type of foods to avoid. My husband is a USDA meat inspector and so a lot of those foods are already taboo in our house as he said it is disgusting how they are produced. When I purchase meat I have certain things on the labels that I have to look for or certain brands to buy.

You can still eat the meats, but you are suppose to heat them up again prior to eating. I don't know if it applies to like sliced turkey breast that has not been ground up and processed. But you would need to be careful again and trust your brand that they do not do that. We are lucky enough to live in a small rural town. We have a local locker, so I purchase beef hotdogs and all our sausage and bacon from there. Any beef products are raised on my parent's farm and we purchase it from them. It has also been processed by the locker. During hunting season you can also get deer, duck or geese from the locker and occasionnally that will sneak it's way into the freezer and this usually consists of our deli meat (cervelot and jerky). The only thing I really purchase from the grocery store is chicken breast or tenderloins that are unbreaded. Again to confirm that they are the whole breast and not processed. My hubby purchases turkey deli meat from the plant that he inspects at, so that takes care of the white meat side. I should get better about purchasing chickens from the area as well, but I honestly don't want to deal with separating the bird out. I don't like to eat meat off of bone, so that limits what I could cook with it.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've done is cut down on my caffeine intake and stopped drinking alcohol. I still eat sushi (but not every day of course) and everything else I want (don't eat deli meat or anything like that anyways). In my opinion, Americans are way too overhyped about everything and pregnancy is no exception. With my first child I was super strict and this time around I'm a bit less obsessive about it. To each her own but that's just my two cents :-)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    Options
    SOooooOooooOOOO.....I caved and I got some sushi for lunch, BUT it was an imitation crab crunch roll. :tongue: Not the same as sashimi or spicy tuna rolls but it satisfied the craving. :wink:
  • OtiWanKenobi
    Options
    The only thing I've done is cut down on my caffeine intake and stopped drinking alcohol. I still eat sushi (but not every day of course) and everything else I want (don't eat deli meat or anything like that anyways). In my opinion, Americans are way too overhyped about everything and pregnancy is no exception. With my first child I was super strict and this time around I'm a bit less obsessive about it. To each her own but that's just my two cents :-)

yeah you're brave! LOL... I think bc this is my first I am like super cautious! I'm scared with how I'll be with my child after their born.
  • stephysd
    Options

I agree. With my first I gave up everything you were suppose to which in 2005 was not near the list there is now. We also did all the optional testing which just created tons of chaos and worry when reports came back. Second time around in 2007, I did not worry about my diet or the optional testing. I still drank Diet Coke all through the pregnancy. This time around is much like the second. I am not worried about the do and don't's. Back to our mothers did it all and we all survived. Luckily with this pregnancy I can't stand pop or candy like I could the first two.
  • TLCEsq
    Options

yeah you're brave! LOL... I think bc this is my first I am like super cautious! I'm scared with how I'll be with my child after their born.

I have anxiety disorder and had AWFUL postpartum anxiety (I mean awful...) so this time I am not putting as much pressure on myself. It's hard enough being a mom! :-)
  • TLCEsq
    Options

I agree. With my first I gave up everything you were suppose to which in 2005 was not near the list there is now. We also did all the optional testing which just created tons of chaos and worry when reports came back. Second time around in 2007, I did not worry about my diet or the optional testing. I still drank Diet Coke all through the pregnancy. This time around is much like the second. I am not worried about the do and don't's. Back to our mothers did it all and we all survived. Luckily with this pregnancy I can't stand pop or candy like I could the first two.

Good for you! I'm not too keen on the sweets this time either except maybe ice cream. The only testing I did both times was the Down Syndrome screening. I have lupus so I am high risk, with enough to worry about already! I even had people chastising me the last time for eating Mexican food, eating spicy food, the list goes on. I think said individuals know this time to just keep their mouths shut! Haha.