What kind of HRM/Training Watch do you have?

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
Looking for recommendations, pros, cons etc. of the type of hrm/watches that are out there.

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 10. No HRM but a good basic watch that gives me my mileage and pace per mile. It also gives run/walk intervals (just played with this feature last week). I am sure it does other things that I just don't know.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have Garmin FR210.
    I love it.
    And I hate it.

The charger/transfer thing is THE MOST ANNOYING STUPID THING EVER INVENTED!

If you get a Garmin, get one that transfer data via wifi or bluethoot. Or wathever way that doesn't involve getting 4 tiny metal pins exactly on 4 tiny little disks.

Other than that I love my HRM, I love Garmin Connect, I love my footpod.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin FR60. I love it. It's non-gps but has the HRM strap and footpod. I calibrate the footpod on a track every several months and as long as I haven't moved it from shoe to shoe or drastically changed the angle of it it's really accurate. I have the watch set to flash between one screen with my current pace and total mileage and another screen with my HR and total time.

I can also set it to alert me if I'm not at a preset pace and other functions along those lines (which I've never used) and can design intervals based on either time or distance (which I've used a good deal).

I also use it for other workouts and if I ever get a bicycle I can get a deal where it hooks up to the bike and has speed and all that.

It transfers data through the ANT stick that plugs into a USB port.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar RC3 GPS, I like the Polar website where all the data is downloaded for analysis, a chest strap is used to pick up your heart rate. The watch has a choice of 7 screens for different sets of data as you run.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305. It works as expected. I wish it had a lighted screen for early morning runs in the dark. Haven't tried downloading and probably won't. Gives me mileage, pace and total time, which is all I use.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Lots of choices out there.

I am initially leaning towards the FR210 (although, should the 220s be available now?) for price range and functionality.

I'm ultimately interested in something that will give me pace, total distance, heart rate and time which seems like the 220 should satisfy.

For the poster who commented on getting the version with wifi/Bluetooth. I operate on android devices, and the garmin Bluetooth functionality is only compatible with devices using the iOS. But, if the charger/hook up is the worst part then I think I'll survive.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have Garmin FR210.
    I love it.
    And I hate it.

The charger/transfer thing is THE MOST ANNOYING STUPID THING EVER INVENTED!

If you get a Garmin, get one that transfer data via wifi or bluethoot. Or wathever way that doesn't involve getting 4 tiny metal pins exactly on 4 tiny little disks.

Other than that I love my HRM, I love Garmin Connect, I love my footpod.

Yeah, what she said :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Garmin Foreruner 610.

It transfers data wirelessly so none of the connecting to cradle problems.

I've been very happy with the watch overall. the touchscreen functions well (better than the bezel controls on the 405s). It's water resistant so you don't worry about running in the rain. It's a small enough form factor that it can be worn like a (slightly large) sports watch.

The screen is a bit small, I have trouble reading it without my glasses but that may be a defect in the user (old age) not the unit itself.....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305. It works as expected. I wish it had a lighted screen for early morning runs in the dark. Haven't tried downloading and probably won't. Gives me mileage, pace and total time, which is all I use.

The Training center software that came with the 305s is very usable and useful, I miss my 305 - I liked the mufti sport settings......
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Garmin 410 currently. Have the 620 on pre-order but the estimated ship date keeps getting pushed back! grrrrr..
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Garmin FR60. It's an older model, but does everything I need, and it's very simple.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I used the Garmin 910xt but it's a multi-function watch since I use it for cycling also.
    I have used the Garmin Forerunner 305 previously and my only complaint was how long it took to find satellites. The 910 is a lot faster with that.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

305 is great, it does have a backlight, you just press the power switch. If and when this dies - been using it for 2 years solid I will be on ebay looking for another, robust and waterproof has multisport function and can add trainng plans.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Garmin 610 without the HRM. I'm thinking about getting the strap though because you can never have too much data.

I don't use Garmin software because I believe it's sub-par. I upload directly to www.RunningAhead.com.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    No heart rate monitor, but I use a Soleus GPS watch. It was really affordable and does what I need...accurate gps, displays pace and distance..i will also display other things, but those are what I care about.

4 pin charging and upload setup (uploads into strava)..great battery life as well.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at the Suunto or Polar HRM's in some time but my impression is that Garmin has the lion's share of the HRM market for runners (

because when I started running I went with the Garmin 305 and switched to a 610 a year ago. I like the extra features on the watch as well as the data that you can get from the 610 and 910 (and in the new 620).

The 620 should be shipping next Friday according to a tech support rep I spoke with earlier this week. There are a host of new features in the 620 as well as a much improved form factor.

The 220 looks like an excellent HRM, as well, but doesn't have some of the gee whiz features of the 620.

If you're shopping for a new HRM, you might save some $$ if hold off for a while for a couple of reasons:
    1 - Christmas is coming and retailers will be slashing prices dramatically over the next few months.
    2 - the new models from Garmin will put price pressure on the HRM market. The 620 is a torpedo in the water for the high end and will have a similar impact on the mid-range
    3 - Garmin will be doing a rebate for folks who want to trade in their 610 for a 620. I was quoted $100 by Garmin tech support a couple of months ago but that may change//may have changed.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Another Garmin 305 user here. I am plotting a bank robbery so I can get the 620 when it comes out.
  • erichunley
    erichunley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Garmin 910XT. Like the training plan ability and multi-sport.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am plotting a bank robbery so I can get the 620 when it comes out.

The 620 looks really cool. I wonder what battery life is going to be like on it since it is pretty slim compared to the 305 and 910.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 910xt. I don't use most of its capabilities but I love the barometric altimeter which gives you real-time information about hills you are climbing. Very handy for figuring "how far it is to the top" on a hilly run. Also love the 19-hour battery, which makes it useful on hikes and ultras, or just means you don't need to recharge as often. I don't use the HRM.

One intriguing new model coming up is an Adidas that doesn't require a HRM strap. That's probably the only way I'd use an HRM, but unfortunately the rest of the unit isn't up to par.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/initial-thoughts-adidas.html

DC Rainmaker has exhaustive reviews of pretty much every GPS unit out there, so it's a great place to check out before you make a purchase.