Half Marathon Bet

Options
Just so it is known to everybody (and so she can't back out), KathleenMurry has been foolish enough to make a bet with me about the outcome of the Cleveland HM (May 18th).

We are going to keep pace with each other until mile 11, then it is an all-out race to the finish. When I win, she will be paying my way at a nice dinner (probably an expensive Brazilian steakhouse) and a movie (with a bucket of popcorn and an extra big azz soda).

My current PR is 1:45:44 as of June, and a 10K of 43:36 as of last week, but for her sake, I promise to make it look like it was a challenge. And just to make things a little more fair, I might drag a tire behind me :laugh:

Replies

• PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    You'd better hope I won't make an appearance - I'll blow you both out of the water

:)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Awesome bet! Can't wait to see the results.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Boom.
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Nothing like some TRASH going down 7 months in advance. Love it !!!!!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I may be the underdog here - I don't even know my HM PR because I've never done one (although I run more than the distance every Saturday at an easy pace). My 10 KM best is about 50 minutes. But you know what? I'm effing badass. I only started running in April and my 5 KM time is in the 23s. I still have a few pounds to lose over the winter too, so that will make me faster. Also, Sonic might fall down at mile 10. I don't know how that will happen ;)
  • KathleenMurry
    Options
    ALSO - Pete offered to carry me for 3 of the miles! Woo!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Love it. Can't wait to see what happens. :)
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate the underdog!!!
    I'm on Team Kathleen. :)
    Also, my first half marathon ever was a 1:45, so I think she has a good shot.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    OMG! They gotta televise this thing!
    Are we allowed to pick sides? Because one of these 'guys' sounds wildly overconfident.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    A great bet! And a good choice for a HM. KM looks fast in her avatar, it will be an interesting race!!! Can't wait to hear about it in May!!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A great bet! And a good choice for a HM. KM looks fast in her avatar, it will be an interesting race!!! Can't wait to hear about it in May!!!!

Don't let the picture deceive you! As seen below, I have a demanding trainer!
    e1IcEuLl.jpg
    And I'm fueling like a beast!
    GN4AiQZl.jpg
    WCBMSfbl.jpg
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a lot of fun, cannot wait to see the results
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Aghhhhh now I want donuts… AND ice cream!!!

On another note, I'm on team Kathleen. Solidarity with the female gender, you know! :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    This type of challenge can be very motivating for both parties. I am sure you will both do great!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Nothing like a down and dirty bet to make things a little exciting around here.

Gotta go with my girl Kathleen though. She's become a bada$$ runner.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Very excited to see the results. I can (sort of) vouch for SDM's trainer there as he also recently got a new bike and is getting him into some serious cross-training. Those leg muscles will be something to reckon with.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    May 18th?

*checks calendar *

Yep, I'm free... And Cleveland is only 5 hours away. :D
  • KathleenMurry
    Options
    Woo, Carson is coming!! But for the record, if he wants in on the challenge, he has to do the HM in 1:03 to consider it a victory. It's only fair because Doug and I are mere mortals!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    May 18th?

*checks calendar *

Yep, I'm free... And Cleveland is only 5 hours away. :D

Ok, you can run with the tire dragging behind you now.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Ya nutters lol.

I am replying to this thread so that it appears in my topics and I can get to it easily, may the force be with you both :D