Pumping room in college

Options
momRN2B
momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
I am not up to there yet but I am wondering where i will be able to pump milk for my baby when i go back to college after I have the baby. I really don't want to have to do it in a bathroom stall but i may not have another option. I am in a CUNY college and i don't know if they have a designated room for pumping. Any experiences or advice?

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I pump in my car a lot just because i travel a lot and don't have an office. Maybe you could park kind of out and cover up? Sounds better than the bathroom.
  • momRN2B
    Options
    I dont have a car. I take the subway train to school (New York) so unfortunately thats not an option. Thanx anyway
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    There may be a private room or empty class room that administration would let you use. Talk to administration and see what options they offer.
  • momRN2B
    Options
    There may be a private room or empty class room that administration would let you use. Talk to administration and see what options they offer.

i am just not sure who the right person to speak to is. Its such a big college, I find it confusing who to talk to about it.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

i am just not sure who the right person to speak to is. Its such a big college, I find it confusing who to talk to about it.
    Start with the student services or student union office. They should have some idea. If it is a big school, I can ensure you, you are not the firs person who had a baby while attending it.
    Also big campuses have childcares. If there is a childcares which takes infant, they usually know this places. Unfortunately my baby didn't get into the campus infant daycare, but I have friend who had kids in there, and they often just walk there between classes for breastfeeding their baby.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If there's a Women's Center on campus, they can probably help you out.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC. Which CUNY? If you get a portable pump and there is a store nearby, maybe you could pump in a dressing room? It's not ideal, but it might work in a pinch. (That's how I often nurse my son, since I'm not crazy about nursing him in public--too many crazies out and about here. I don't need them getting up in my business while I nurse. Another option is that perhaps you can find an empty classroom. If I were you, I would probably sit in front of the door to the classroom so no one surprised me by coming in! (I also think the suggestion of checking in with the Women's Center is a great idea.)
  • momRN2B
    Options
    I live in NYC. Which CUNY? If you get a portable pump and there is a store nearby, maybe you could pump in a dressing room? It's not ideal, but it might work in a pinch. (That's how I often nurse my son, since I'm not crazy about nursing him in public--too many crazies out and about here. I don't need them getting up in my business while I nurse. Another option is that perhaps you can find an empty classroom. If I were you, I would probably sit in front of the door to the classroom so no one surprised me by coming in! (I also think the suggestion of checking in with the Women's Center is a great idea.)

Its called City Tech or NYC College of Technology . Its in Brooklyn. What do u mean by a women's center?
  • momRN2B
    Options
    I just called the student affairs office and asked them about it. They said they will call me back.