new girl here!

Options
beckty
beckty Posts: 118 Member
Hi! I’ve just joined the group and I am really excited to get going. I’ve done some training this summer with a PT and learned a LOT about lifting. Good form. Increased my weights. Etc… I’ve totally fallen off since August and I am super frustrated with myself.  I chose SL over NROWLFW because it seemed so simple to me and that’s what I needed to do this myself. If I don’t see enough improvement, I can go back to the program my trainer had me on (he had me doing pre-exhaust exercises followed by a couple of compound big moves. Push day/Pull day/leg day)

I have a couple of questions. First, I am not at all sure what weight to start with. Should I just go back to Olympic bar with most everything and see how I do? (I’ve got a set at home my husband just got set up for me. Yay!)

Second, I am comfortable with proper form on all SL exercises EXCEPT the overhead press. And truthfully? That one scares me! I am afraid of dropping that weight on myself. Is that irrational? I’ve watched a few videos about form on it, so I think I’ll be ok. But still, the idea of pushing that weight up over my head makes me nervous. LOL

Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• mrsmillsee
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a newbie too!

I started 5x5 2 weeks ago and can honestly say I'm seeing the benefits already. You can actually YouTube the workouts (a & b) so it shows you form, duration between sets and how to warm up etc.,

For the moment, I start on the bar itself without any weight on it as a warm up for 2 sets (2x5 reps), then add 2.5kg each workout.

Not sure if this helps, but have a look at the online videos which should be able to help you. Don't forget to take pics and measurements before you start.

Good luck! It really does work.

Debs
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Welcome! If you go back to the bar you will soon be moving up so don't fret if you do..
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just started the program today, also after doing NROL4W for quite awhile. I need something a little more simple right now . . .
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks! And yes , I think you're right on that point. I used just the bar yest to start with and I was bored out of my skull! Lol. I added 10 lbs to all and it was still not very challenging. I'll be bumping up quickly! Barely sore today
  • AJCROWE78
    AJCROWE78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also am starting for something simple! I completed NROL4W stage 1 but stage 2 and up seemed like two much drama lol