Tired of being called Big Guy

Options
tfleischer
tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
Is it me? Or do the rest of you want to crush puny little *kitten* when they refer to you as "Hey Big Guy." I don't take it as a term of respect. I have this one short little guy (5'8" if he is on tip toes and in the mid 100s) who has always called me that. I finally started responding in a voice like you would to a three year old little boy... "Hey Little Man." In fact, once I did it with a W instead of a an L, as in "Hey Widdle Man." That nipped it in the bud.
My point is, I am to the point that I am tired of being the biggest, i.e. fattest, guy in the room. Tired of having my big fat gut greeted by people. It's kind of like being that really top heavy girl who has to tell people, "Hey my eyes are up here..."
I guess a breaking point for me came when a kid who is about 8 or 9 said to me point blank... Your belly looks kind of like a butt.
Little *kitten* was right and I aim to fix that!
I would appreciate you other "Big Guys" helping me out by being a friend here and telling me how you have done and how you are doing it. A gentle -- or when necessary not so gentle -- nudge when my behavior is out of line with my ultimate goal of losing 130 lbs. to get down to 190 lbs. I've seen other success stories here and want to become one of those success stories.
Mostly, I want to be Tim... not Big Guy.

Replies

• RACintron
    Options
    I'm with you on that. My name is Alex and nothing will get me into Hulk mode faster than someone calling me Big Al. it wasn't that bad when I was on the East but here in NM everyone is eye level with my gut. Gotta get it going. Something much different towering over someone but being fit instead of a moving wall.
  • Treyj33
    Treyj33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One of my hobbies is cooking in cook offs. I especially enjoy cooking for benefits. My apron reads, "Big Trey never trust a skinny cook". Personally, I do not mind that much.
    1. I am a big guy.
    2. It is my fault.
    3. I am working on making it better.
    One of my goals is to add another line to my apron stating, "unless he used to be a fat *kitten*".
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • turtlecap
    turtlecap Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    While I don't quite come in at 400 pounds, (350) I am well over 6 foot and I HATE it when people call me 'big fella' as though its an endearing term?! I generally just respond with a flat 'that's not my name' and glare at them.
  • agordonc
    agordonc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have that happen quite often. I'm also 'Big Al' to some to these tiny, little weasels. One of them was my boss and he insisted on calling me 'Skinny Boy' though and that one made me far angrier than 'Big Al'.

Anyway, I feel your pain and we can wish each other luck on our journeys towards looking and feeling not so 'Big'. I also need to lose about 130 lbs to get down to 220.