Runner's high

Options
Loluka88
Loluka88 Posts: 38 Member
I've been working out for a while now but it's been purely cardio. Lots of walking, lots of jumping on the elliptical in front of the T.V., and lots of running around with my toddler, but I've never ever felt that runner's high that people keep talking about. Well, until today... or at least I think that's what it was. Don't get me wrong, the workout was still really tough and I still had to take a few breaks, but at the end of it I started to get a really great feeling. More than just the satisfaction of finishing it and noticing an improvement, but something physical. It really felt like I could jump up and keep going or do something else. It felt great!

I'm sure some of you have experienced this before. I'd love to hear your experiences.

Replies

• MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I feel this way too...especially when doing Level 1 in the later days. In fact, when I did Day 9 and Day 10 of Level 1 last week, I actually felt so good that I did the Level 2 workout right afterwards! :happy:
  • dionnehillwaugh
    dionnehillwaugh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

You both have gotten me jealously excited now...runners high? never heard of it but now i want to experience it.

Is it your body changing...getting stronger....able to do so much more? I like it when Jillian says we get messages of a 'false sense of lethargy...I love how she encourages us to push ourselves to get to higher levels of fitness.

Well here's to the 'runners high' looking forward to it..... :)
  • dionnehillwaugh
    dionnehillwaugh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel this way too...especially when doing Level 1 in the later days. In fact, when I did Day 9 and Day 10 of Level 1 last week, I actually felt so good that I did the Level 2 workout right afterwards! :happy:

Wow...THATS THE SPIRIT!
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Never heard of a runner's high? Wow! Most scientists believe it is caused by a release of endorphins that happens when we exercise. I can remember it happening in my younger days when I was a bit of a runner. I'd be plodding along and suddenly BAM! It was like I had hit a groove...the rhythm was mesmerizing. I felt exhilarated and as if I could just go on forever! It happens to me sometimes now when I do my jump rope workouts. I may start off feeling like I can't even do 5 minutes, but then I get all warmed up and especially if Pandora is playing the right tunes it gets to where I don't want to stop...it feels so good! :happy: And this runner's high? It is rather addicting. You can find yourself, instead of dreading a workout, itching to do it!