November book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
Agatha Raisin book #1 The Quiche of Death. Haven't begun it yet, but looking forward to something new.

Replies

• lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    still waiting for it too; I have V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton checked out; I might start that
  • mabug01
    Options
    that's a good choice. I found a paperback at the dollar store. It's a 24 book (TV show) with Jack Bauer as the main character. It'll be a quick read.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Book arrived. Will get to it soon. Just finished, The Orphan Train. Good book and a bit of history I knew nothing about.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Just checking Diamond Gals, no copy yet
  • mabug01
    Options
    I'll be starting later today. It turns out I got a book called "Introducing Agatha Raisin". It includes the Quiche of Death plus her second Agatha title, The Vicious Vet. So, I'm going to have an Agatha-a-thon.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I ordered the same duo. Busy week but I plan to read Ms. Raisin this weekend. Have a good week DGals.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I finished the first book and am working my way through the second one. Does she seem a bit silly to you, or is that the British sense of humor?
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hi Diamond Gals,

I've finished both books and I'm growing fond of Agatha. I like what happens at the end of book #2.

I've started The Idiot by Dostoevsky but that's over 500 pages so I'll read it piecemeal. I also have A Fountain Filled with Blood by Julia Spencer Fleming. I read her first book of this series - In the Bleak Midwinter - and I enjoyed its starkness. There are 2 re-occuring characters in this series - one is a female minister and I think the other is a police detective.

I'm helping my daughter and her boyfriend get ready to host their first family Thanksgiving. They're having his family over - there will be 19 people. It's a big effort.

Happy reading!
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Hi,.

Just started reading Agatha Raisin. I am enjoying the Cotswolds descriptions and fondly remembering my trips to that part of the world. I will check in when I get further along.

I just finished reading The Cat's Table for my real life book club. It was okay.

You are taking on a classic. Also , the Fleming book sounds promising. It was very well reviewed. I read Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. I just love the way she writes . The novel talks about climate change and the scientist Mary would , I think, like it.

Happy Thanksgiving, Diamond Gals. Hope it is a wonderful day.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi Diamond Gals
    I finished the book; it took a while for Mrs Raisin to grow on me
    because she was such a nasty!! But I really liked it and will possibly read the next one too.
    Happy T'giving to all!
  • steppingstones
    Options
    HI Diamond Gals,

Finished it, too. I agree with Leonoressari....it was slow to get used the Agatha Raisin. But I liked the book in the end. I have the next one and plan to read it.

Happy Thanksgiving Gals!!!

P.S. Have you mystery lovers read Janet Evanovich's , Stephanie Plum mysteries? I heard the author speak on the radio and she was a fun person.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I heard she was good. whoever' s turn it is for December can pick
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hey Diamond Book Club ladies - I believe, according to the original rotation, it is SteppingStone's turn to pick a book. I can hardly wait to see what you have in store for us!
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Okay seemed we had sort of fallen off rotation. For December, I thought we were all going to try to find a Christmas read and choose one. I have not found one.

Let me tell you my current reading plans and maybe one of the books will appeal to you all.:smile:

**A friend loaned me: And the Mountains Echoed by Khalid Hosseni

**Just put on my e-reader: Flora by Gail Godwin (like her writing)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (want to read the book before seeing the movie)

***Ordered from the library: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (friend recommended). Any of those appeal to you??

Hope your daughter's first hosting goes well. Happy Thanksgiving Diamond Gals.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mabug01
    Options
    I forgot about the Christmas books. If we do that, these 2 sounded good: Christmas Jars by Jason Wright or The Christmas Note by Donna VanLiere

Of the books you mentioned, The Forgotten Garden sounds the most intriguing to me.

And, yes, I've been keeping up with the Stephanie Plum series. I like her books, although they do get a bit repetitive if you read them all. But the first few had me chuckling, so I recommend the series. I noticed she has a new one out but I think I'll wait a bit to get it. Actually, Ive seen one of her recent books at the dollar store. I love a good bargain.

If we don't talk before the big day, Happy Thanksgiving!:drinker:
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Just finished, The Vicious Vet. It was kind of an easy read which is good some times. I will probably read some more of the Agatha Raisin series. Picked up a couple at my favorite used book store. I must admit, I have spent a lot of time in Britain and I liked all the phrases and places mentioned. Both books are at my library. My vote is for Christmas Jars.

:drinker: Have a great day on Thursday.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Ok Christmas Jars by Jason Wright; I will get it ordered from the library