Maternity Clothes

Options
Lady_Lamb
Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
I started wearing maternity pants yesterday (8 weeks) and they're the best! I got sick of buttoning my jeans up over my big, bloaty belly! Who else is in maternity clothes already? Please say I'm not the only one!

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm not yet, but seriously considering it. At least the shirts to cover my belly. This is the worst time, if you wear something tight people just think your fat. I cant wait to have a baby belly so I can show it off instead of hiding it!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I've moved on to my "fat" clothes.... glad that I kept them now. :P

I can't wait to go maternity shopping!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    For now i'm just wearing jeans that are a size bigger.. i've only gained a lb right now and my bloating hasn't been too bad. I have bought some maternity stuff though. Kinda felt like I was jinxing myself, but oh well!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am 8 weeks as of yesterday. I pulled a maternity dress out of the boxes yesterday because I hated the way my dress was fitting me. So far, it is just this, but I feel the rest aren't far behind. I have bloated a ton and think I look like I gained 15lbs! But, luckily, I don't like skin tight clothes anyways so my regular clothes have a little growing room before I will be going full maternity clothes.

eta: for clarification, I really think I LOOK like I've gained 15lbs but I have not. I am at +1/2lb.
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Me!! I bought a shirt from JC Penney online and maternity jeans from Target. Spent almost $60 on two items. I hate how expensive maternity clothes are. Luckily I won't have to worry about work clothes much longer since my last day of work is Friday.

I am looking to purchase a maternity coat, but haven't found one yet that is affordable and comfortable. I was thinking of going to Motherhood Maternity, but I know I won't spend less than $70 :ohwell:
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    7.5 weeks and I just pulled out a pair of maternity pants this morning. Soooooo glad I did.

I haven't tried my jeans or slacks in a few weeks, I've been wearing pants with stretch to work and yoga pants at home, so they may still fit. But I'm pretty sure they won't. :laugh:
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    I am looking to purchase a maternity coat, but haven't found one yet that is affordable and comfortable. I was thinking of going to Motherhood Maternity, but I know I won't spend less than $70 :ohwell:

Yeah, not sure what to do about that either. Last time around, my sister in law who is bigger than I am lent me one of her winter coats and that worked. I may just hit her up again this time around.

Thankfully, my "nice" coat for formal occassions flares out from just under the bust, so that will work for Christmas and New Years functions.

m_51294506af5ecc122101c586.jpg
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options

Doesn't have to be expensive. Do you have a Kid to Kid store near you? Its a shop that takes lightly/gently used kids clothes, kids toys, maternity wear and more (and pays you for them) and then sells them for thrift store prices. Granted, I didn't purchase it, maybe I should have, but I saw a maternity coat at our Kid to Kid for $15.
  • usernameMAMA
    Options
    I've been keeping my eye out for a good maternity jacket on ebay. They have lots of cute ones for $50-$60.
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to hijack my husband's wool coat this winter! Thankfully he's pretty slim, so I won't be swimming in it, but it means I don't have to go out and buy one to wear to accomodate my bump (whenever it decides to show up ...)
  • Lady_Lamb
    Options
    I bought a bunch of maternity clothes from Old Navy's clearance section. Super cheap! My jeans were only $7! I am in denial about winter. In my mind I just won't be that big!
  • usernameMAMA
    Options
    I'm in the same bat as you LadyLamb, I didn't start showing until 23 weeks with my first pregnancy and by that time there isn't that much left to winter. My jacket now is an empire waist so I think I'll just wear that, if my belly pokes out a little so be it. Of course if the girls keep growing I won't be able to button it up!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    This is how I am. I don't know that I should buy a coat because i'll be 16 weeks in jan.. by the time i'm really showing, winter will be over!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'm glad this topic came up. I think I might need to get going on my winter shopping if I hope to get any good deals still... but I'm a little concerned that someone will see me shopping in a maternity store before we let the secret out. :ohwell:
  • amyjpage
    Options
    Suzanne - I thought the same thing! I don't want to run into someone I know while browsing maternity wear!

I'm in Calgary, AB and winter lasts forever here (thankfully it's off to a slow start so far ...) which means I could be wearing "winter" clothes until mid April - which would put me in around 30-34 weeks ...

I was thinking of browsing kijiji or the second hand stores ... I cannot handle paying full price for anything, and something tells me that maternity clothes don't often go on sale ...
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing today. I saw on Thyme Maternity if you like them on Facebook you get one article of clothing for 50% off but then realized if I did that everyone would wonder why I like a maternity store. So that will have to wait.

But if your family know's that may be a good place to look for a discount on a pricy item
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Wow lots of great ideas! I think I'll look at Good Will or another second-hand store first too.
  • Lady_Lamb
    Options
    The boyfriend put my new maternity pants through the dryer! I usually air dry jeans. Ugh! Not quite as cozy as before...
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I just went maternity clothes shopping today!

I am so amazed at how awesome buying second hand and clearance is! :D

It was so thrilling to be able to try on styles that I never used to wear because "they make me look pregnant" and to have them look so great! :)
  • amyjpage
    Options
    I tried to go shopping for maternity clothes today, started at the mall and went to Target, and found just 1 pair of maternity dress pants, and they were skinny leg - I am not a skinny pants person, so that sucked.

Went to Motherhood Maternity where a very kind sales lady brought me three pairs of "dress" pants to try on. (I told her I needed black dress pants to wear to work at a law firm, no skinny legs, straight leg or bootcut). Two pairs were like yoga pants, and the third pair was the most horrible, cheapest fabric I have ever tried on. For $60 a pair, it was not going to happen. I was so frustrated.

I went to Sears, and it just so happens, that is the only Sears in the city that doesn't carry maternity clothing, and when we checked the Walmart near by, they too did not have a maternity section.

UGGG.. I just need a pair of simple, black dress pants that can accomodate my growing belly!!!

I haven't tried the second hand stores yet, but I we may this afternoon ... this has been so frustrating so far.

Canadian Ladies - where are you finding your maternity clothes?