soliciting advice, injured with HM in 5 days

Options
so i've got my very first ever road race, a HM, in 5 days.
training was going well, my long run was up to 20km a month ago and i was averaging about 50km/week.
a couple weeks ago i got hit with heel pain on what was supposed to be a 16k run, reduced to 12. i've found that it is achilles tendonitis and i've been resting now for 2 weeks. read: biking, swimming, hot yoga-ing and rolling calves and feet like a full time job.
the pain is reduced a lot, i no longer hobble down the stairs every morning and it definitely loosens up when i start moving.
i've got my run on saturday. i want to try to run but i don't want to risk a serious set back with further injury...
thoughts?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like Plantar Fasciitis to me. Did you self diagnose or was this from a doctor?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go to the doc first. From what I know, the Achilles bonds to the bottom of your heel and runs up the back of your leg, and being that close to your heel is a tricky Google MD diagnosis. I've been dealing with actual diagnosed Achilles tendinitis and was prescribed a strong anti-inflammatory and phsyical therapy, and I'm still logging 30-40 MPW (foolishly, who knows). I have a general soreness in the area, but not the heel in particular, but it feels good when I run and I've raced/PR'd with it.

I'm not sure what brought it on, but I had about 350 miles on my shoes when it started, so I'm considering buying a new pair. I'm kinda lost with it as I'm doing everything right. Just an annoyance I have to deal with for the time being.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like Plantar Fasciitis to me. Did you self diagnose or was this from a doctor?
    You could be correct. Insertional achilles tendonitis hits the top of the heel right below the height of your ankle and Plantar Fasciitis is more on the underside as if you stepped on something. That's just my experience. At any rate I have a mild case of insertional achilles tendonitis right now. Following this guide has helped quite a bit.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/achilles-tendonitis-and-insertional-achilles-tendinopathy-in-runners/
    You can still run during this twelve-week period, but only if your Achilles does not flare up while doing so.

Personally I would drop the race if you're still feeling it after you warm up. Don't feel bad. I was set to do my first marathon December 8th and I dropped it for this very reason. I could still do it I'm sure but it wouldn't be the same experience and I'd be down about it. I'm just going to find another one once I feel like I've gotten back on top of this. There's no shame in waiting.
  • k_les
    k_les Posts: 7
    Options
    You could be correct. Insertional achilles tendonitis hits the top of the heel right below the height of your ankle and Plantar Fasciitis is more on the underside as if you stepped on something. That's just my experience. At any rate I have a mild case of insertional achilles tendonitis right now.

Personally I would drop the race if you're still feeling it after you warm up. Don't feel bad. I was set to do my first marathon December 8th and I dropped it for this very reason. I could still do it I'm sure but it wouldn't be the same experience and I'd be down about it. I'm just going to find another one once I feel like I've gotten back on top of this. There's no shame in waiting.

i've seen an athletic therapist and this is based on what she said. The pain is at the back of my heel, not the bottom. Her thought was that tightness through the plantar fascia and calves was putting strain on the tendon, causing pain. So I've been rolling and stretching those areas, I feel that's what's helped the improvement.
    I know there's no shame....I just was super looking forward to this. It's in another state, there's a whole holiday/celebration about it!
  • k_les
    Options
    and thanks for the article _Waffle_
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    How did you get on OP, was all okay in your HM?
  • k_les
    Options
    How did you get on OP, was all okay in your HM?

i just saw this!
    i don't know what OP is, but my half went really well thanks! the pain that i felt, and feared would get worse, never did. i managed a personal best of 2:23:43. i took a few more weeks off after the run and have been getting back to running more consistently in the last few weeks.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your half!! OP is "original poster"